android
Old 10-06-2013, 02:27 PM

Default Noise from headphone cord movement?

Every type of headphone I have used makes noise in my earpiece when the cord moves even a little. I listen to audiobooks only so this is much more noticeable than with music I'm sure. Do I need to go to bluetooth to eliminate this or any suggestions please?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABI

What you're experiencing is known as microphonics. From the Glossary you'll find in my sig.
Quote:
Microphonics or Cable noise: A noise transmitted by the cable into the IEM heard in the ear. Properly wearing iemís creates a seal with the ear canal and this creates a mini acoustic chamber, thus if your iemís have poor quality cable they can transmit noise from anything touching the cable, such as it brushing against your clothing or anything else. To eliminate or reduce this bothersome noise you can wear the cable up over the ears and down the back inside of your shirt, which helps tremendously on most cables.
That primarily deals with in ear headphones and earbuds but larger on ear and over ear headphones can also have noise caused by cables. The cups of larger headphones don't tend to transmit the vibrations that cause microphonic as well as IEMs but they can.

For in ear headphones I've found that wearing them over ears works best for me. Doing it that way in combination with a shirt clip reduces the noise to zero for me. I don't use earbuds so I haven't needed to deal with extra noise. From what I understand a shirt clip will help and it's possible to wear them over ears.

For full size headphones you can also route the cable through your clothes or use a shirt clip. Anything that stops the vibrations from traveling the length of the cord should help. That sometimes takes a bit of experimenting to discover what works best for you.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:53 PM

Makes sense. I'll try that. A shirt clip..... like an small version of a black paper clip ( not the flat type)???? I'm not exactly clear. Thanks for your advice. I will try it today.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:44 PM

I tried it and it worked. Thank you!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdixieboy View Post
Makes sense. I'll try that. A shirt clip..... like an small version of a black paper clip ( not the flat type)???? I'm not exactly clear. Thanks for your advice. I will try it today.
Easily (and cheaply) available via eBay, around 5 for $1 shipped. (!!!)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+clip&_sacat=0

Tags
earbuds, headphone cord