android
Old 10-03-2013, 09:37 AM

Question I'm curious: any viable alternatives to Clip +/Zip?

I'm pretty happy with my already 1.5 yo Clip Zip, although I have to admit that this board has been incredibly helpful to improve my experience with the DAP (it was here I learned about MP3tag, for instance). Negative reviews on Amazon are mostly from people who have never have read ABI ... I pity them.

Still, after reading that Sandisk has probably left the DAP market for good (what a downer), I am curious as to which other brands (except *ack* Apple, of course) would be suitable alternatives to the Clip.

Granted, I'll probably keep buying Clips when necessary until they go the way of Twinkies (and I should only worry about alternatives there and then), but I'm curious if there's anything out there comparable right now (price+quality+SD card integration+form factor+screen).

Also, out of curiosity too (but a less important question): is there any DAP in the market allowing for easy battery replacement? Or are they all irritatingly sealed up so that only mad scientists can tinker with them to do that?

Ed

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Administrator

The answer to both of your questions is "no" as far as I know. I've looked around quite a bit for the last few years and haven't found anything that matches the Clip +/Clip Zip players for features vs. price. The battery life isn't the best, the screen on the Clip Zip could be nicer and the integration of the card and main library as far as playlists could be better but those are nitpicks more than actual complaints.

There's also no real market to motivate any of the big boys to develop another small form factor DAP like the Clips. Most people I know think you're talking about their phone when you say "mp3 player". They might have a Shuffle or a Clip for workouts but their phone or tablet serves for all the rest of their music needs.

As far as user replaceable batteries they pretty much died out when slimmer form factors became the norm. There were probably other factors involved but that seemed to be the one that was most important to the people I've talked with. That and the price of buying "disposable" alkaline batteries could easily outstrip the cost of the player.

Yeah, I know rechargeables are available but how many people are disciplined to the point of making sure they have a charged battery available when needed? There's any number of people that can't remember to keep their phones charged and they need those.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:13 PM

There certainly are other players, you would need to google the specs. I've always found Phillips to offer good products.
The tendency seems to be towards smart phones that do everything except wash the dishes and a lot of people might lean in that direction.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hierogrammate View Post
...but I'm curious if there's anything out there comparable right now (price+quality+SD card integration+form factor+screen).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61430 View Post
There certainly are other players, you would need to google the specs. I've always found Phillips to offer good products.
The tendency seems to be towards smart phones that do everything except wash the dishes and a lot of people might lean in that direction.
There's a Philips with the price+quality+SD card integration+form factor+screen of the Clip? I must have missed it when I looked at the Philips line yesterday. I found the Vibe but that doesn't have SD card capability. The Muse has an card slot but that's much larger and quite a bit more expensive.

Could you share the name of the model you're suggesting or link to it? It might be something to put on my short list of what to get next.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's such a shame that there is so limited options out there, unless you want to buy a smartphone/smartphone-like device . . . .

Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 AM

Thanks Skip252, dave61430, and Mikerman for the info, and for (ugh) confirming some of my fears.

Earlier this week I say a guy with a smartphone (probably an iPhone, couldn't tell from the distance), listening to music with earbuds. It looked so big and clunky compared to the Clip. :-P I mean, sure, sexiness and look-how-cool-I-look-fondling-the-touchscreen, and 'the most advanced' blah blah... but definitely not for me, who basically want to listen to music and podcasts hands-free, and without breaking the bank (piggy-bank, in my case).

I know smartphones have their uses (to us and the NSA, lol), and I'm no luddite, but I don't need my DAP to do the dishes, mow the lawn, or give me a foot massage... I just like it to be compact, lightweight, out-of-the-way (i.e. clip it and go), and a decent screen that lets me browse my files. The Clip is all of that and more (and much MUCH more Rockboxed).

I have to admit I've gotten too spoiled by the Clip... like I said, I'll probably just keep on buying them as long as retailers have them, until something else comes along eventually (hopefully).

I remember the first DAP I bought--not for me, but as a present to my nephew--a Creative Zen 8GB. It looked sweet, but in less than a month my nephew started having problems with it... RMA'd it, and the replacement eventually had the same issues. Creative Labs boards were no help, except to learn that many people were grumbling about the same things, not to mention Creative's basically nonexistent support. Like they say, once burned, twice shy, so I kept my distance from all DAPs after that.

It wasn't until much later, after reading ABI's articles and forums that I dared to try it once more with the Clip. What a world of difference! And I had nothing to envy those guys fondling their Apple doohickeys. I have to thank all of you guys for that. :-]

I'll take a peek at the Phillips devices later today, see what they got.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:21 AM

Old iPods are great. You can find them very cheap, there are tons of parts, easy to replace, cheap parts as well. You can fix one and put in a compact flash card, and it'll be great! Most except the last classic can be rockboxed. I still have a mini working great!

Old 11-06-2013, 12:23 PM

What about kubik mp3 players are they as good as sandisk ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kubik-Player...rds=mp3+player

Old 11-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Unless someone ships me one free I'll never know. I've read the opinions of member here in the past that say it's not worth having. That's been a while back and they may have improved but I have my doubts. Search the site to see what they've had to say. After that if you decide to get one I'd be interested in how it works for you.

The other tip off is there's no firmware available on their site I can find. I can't even get the spec sheet, just a "404 not found".

Among the things that make the players I named earlier in this thread worth having is that they're backed by reputable companies that have firmwares available. That at least gives you a shot at recovering if something goes wrong. Without a firmware to apply, when it dies it dies. Formatting will sometimes recover a DAP without a firmware update but most often it just turns it into a paperweight or a not very portable USB drive.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:58 AM

I know this doesn't answer your question about another player, but when I heard the Sansa's were going away I put a couple in my cart with Amazon and last week they dropped the price of an 8gb Clip+ to $29.99. Bought two for back ups and now I have 5. I love these little things.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfpacker View Post
I know this doesn't answer your question about another player, but when I heard the Sansa's were going away I put a couple in my cart with Amazon and last week they dropped the price of an 8gb Clip+ to $29.99. Bought two for back ups and now I have 5. I love these little things.
Just curious, where did you hear that the Sansa's were going away? I emailed Sansa a couple of weeks ago and asked, they said they were not going to stop making them any time soon.
S

Old 12-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Just curious, where did you hear that the Sansa's were going away? I emailed Sansa a couple of weeks ago and asked, they said they were not going to stop making them any time soon.
S
Well no retailers in Canada seem to be selling them, so as far as I'm concerned, they've already gone away.

Steve

Old 12-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
S
Well if they're not making anything new, stores won't bother stocking them...online will be the only place to find them before long.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Well no retailers in Canada seem to be selling them, so as far as I'm concerned, they've already gone away.

Steve
I think that Amazon.com might disagree with you, which actively is selling the Clips and lists the Clip+ as its #1 Best Seller in MP3 players.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=sansa+clip

Oh, and Amazon.ca follows suit.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...rds=sansa+clip

Old 12-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Steve

Old 12-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Having them in B&M stores would be convenient but them not being in stores doesn't mean they aren't available. Now that I think about it the only DAPs I have I bought in a store are a couple of V2 Clips on deep discount and a Clip Zip when it was a Black Friday special. Everything else has been a online purchase.

No telling if sandisk is still making the Clips but I can't see why they would stop. At this point all the R&D is done so all they're looking at is manufacturing and distribution cost. As long as those stay reasonable they shouldn't lose anything and probably make a small but consistent profit.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Having them in B&M stores would be convenient but them not being in stores doesn't mean they aren't available. Now that I think about it the only DAPs I have I bought in a store are a couple of V2 Clips on deep discount and a Clip Zip when it was a Black Friday special. Everything else has been a online purchase.

No telling if sandisk is still making the Clips but I can't see why they would stop. At this point all the R&D is done so all they're looking at is manufacturing and distribution cost. As long as those stay reasonable they shouldn't lose anything and probably make a small but consistent profit.
Just don't expect any firmware development unless you use Rockbox.
(I wouldn't dream of using any of my three remaining Sansas without Rockbox)

Old 12-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
I think that Amazon.com might disagree with you, which actively is selling the Clips and lists the Clip+ as its #1 Best Seller in MP3 players.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=sansa+clip

Oh, and Amazon.ca follows suit.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...rds=sansa+clip
Thank you, I guess I'll have to start considering Amazon again. For so long, amazon.com retailers wouldn't ship to Canada (or would charge $40 shipping), and amazon.ca didn't sell any of the electronics that I checked. Hence I stopped looking. Newegg.ca sometimes had Clips but, in my experience, not reliably, and rarely matched the newegg.com specials.

Steve

Old 12-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Just don't expect any firmware development unless you use Rockbox.
(I wouldn't dream of using any of my three remaining Sansas without Rockbox)
That's what I meant about the R&D being over. As long as there's no changes to the hardware there won't be any reason to update the firmware. With no extra expenses and the supply and manufacturing chains in place they should be dead cheap for sandisk to crank them out now.

I don't find the Clip+ or Clip zip that bad in the OF. I've found that if I sync them in MTP with properly tagged files they aren't bad at all. I mostly ignore the internal memory except for a few absolute favorites and sync to the card. Both Musicbee and Winamp do a nice job in MTP and the database refresh is cut back dramatically. File transfer is a lot slower during the first loading but if I'm just switching a few albums or updating a playlist transfer time isn't much of an issue.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thank you, I guess I'll have to start considering Amazon again. For so long, amazon.com retailers wouldn't ship to Canada (or would charge $40 shipping), and amazon.ca didn't sell any of the electronics that I checked. Hence I stopped looking. Newegg.ca sometimes had Clips but, in my experience, not reliably, and rarely matched the newegg.com specials.

Steve
Good to see that Amazon has come to recognize that people actually live north of Minnesota and Montana, isn't it?

Tags
alternatives, dap