android
Old 09-27-2013, 01:00 AM

Help Podcast playback of the clip+ and clip-zip

I used to own a Fuze and I was really satisfied with it. After several years it broke down and I tried the Sansa Fuze Plus - huge mistake, this product is utter crap. I still haven't forgiven sansa for marketing such a bad product and discontinuing a very good one but considering the choices in the market I think the clip might be a reasonable option for my needs. I listen to podcasts a lot and FM radio. I need to know if the device can always go back to where it was inside a file it has been playing before and stopped before the end. If it doesn't, it's a dealbreaker for me.
Here are two relevant situational examples:
  1. If you put the device to sleep / shut it down while you are playing a file, then you turn it back on the day after and go play something else, if you open the original file again, will it go back to where it was when you shut it down?
  2. If you play a file, and use forward to skip to another file, when you go back to the previous file, can it go back to where it was before you skipped?
The original Fuze could do both of these while the Fuze Plus doesn't so please specify if your answer applies to the clip-plus or the clip-zip. I need to have clear answers, if you're not sure please don't b.s. me because this is the most critical feature I need.

Last edited by geoffm; 09-27-2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: more specific

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-27-2013, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

The Clip+ does what you describe with any files you put in either the Podcast or Audiobook folders. They can be podcasts, audiobooks or music files. There's no need for special tagging, as long as they're in either of those two folders a bookmark is created when you stop playing those files.

The Clip+ only creates one resume point per file. If you skip to another section of that same file a new resume point is created.

I don't know if that works as reliably on the Clip Zip. It's my understanding that it should but I haven't experienced that myself. I've read complaints that it doesn't but I'm not certain if that's a problem with the player or user error. I have a Clip Zip but use it almost exclusively in Rockbox. Someone who uses a Clip Zip with podcasts in the sandisk firmware may have direct experience and would be able to tell you more.

BTW if you haven't already smashed the Fuze+ with a hammer (Not a joke, I was tempted more than once ) you may want to look into Rockboxing it. There's more on Rockbox in my sig.

I had bought and returned the Fuze+ a couple of times. I also have a family member who has one and is OK dealing with the sandisk firmware by starting playlists and not interacting with it unless absolutely necessary. I don't use my DAPs like that so that made having a Fuze+ a non-starter for me.

Then skamp reported here that the Fuze+ became very usable once Rockboxed. I decided to find one cheap and risk giving one another shot. It was a good decision for me. I like how it works using it with Rockbox. It doesn't transform it into the perfect player but it does make it quite usable imo.

The bookmarking options are about as good as it gets in Rockbox. Rockbox doesn't work with protected content so if your podcasts are DRMed it won't work with those.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:54 AM

I use my rockboxed clip zip for podcats on a daily basis. I have it setup to bookmark everytime I stop playback. So I just tap the power button or turn it off when I want to update bookmark. I have a folder dedicated to podcasts and set it up to boot directly to recent bookmarks screen. I even use an app called gpodder which will rename files for me and tag them. Only downside is if battery dies it doesn't create bookmark but its only happened once or twice so far. Just make sure you lock the screen. Last thing you want to do is skip podcasts accidently without bookmarking

Old 09-27-2013, 04:09 PM

Thanks both, it's reassuring.
skip252: I did rockbox my FuzePlus. I actually had two, the first one mecanically died after a year, I think I recall I had been using it under rockbox for a while. I sent it back asking specifically, either send me an original fuze or don't bother. They sent a FuzePlus. After two days I was fed up again of the firmware so I rockboxed it again. After a couple of weeks something went very wrong with it, I couldn't access the device it was completely hanged, I don't remember the exact symptoms... Anyway, this player is way too cumbersome and its controls are a pain in the ass, rockboxed or not, imho.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Administrator

I hope you don't feel I'm trying to pressure you into using Rockbox on either the Fuze+ or the Clip+. The most important part to me is that you've experienced it and decided it's not for you. Everyone needs to be using the device that makes them comfortable.

I really like what Rockbox brings but I also recognize it's not for everyone. I can't stand the Fuze+ without Rockbox but I find the sandisk firmware quite usable on the Clip+. There have been a number of times I've encouraged someone to give the OF a shot when there were several others saying a new user should install Rockbox immediately.

People seem very divided about the keypad on the Rockboxed Fuze+. I suspect it's due at least in part to having used it before the recent addition of being able to adjust the keypad sensitivity. The default setting was kind of squirrelly when I first installed Rockbox but a few weeks later the sensitivity adjustment was added and I've found it to be much more usable. Not perfect but leaps and bounds better than the OF.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 PM

I actually posted my reply before I was finished... so the rockboxed fuze really wasn't working anymore so I thought if i reset it to factory defaults maybe it would, but I couldn't do it because the sandisk app on windows didn't recognize the device, so I tried formatting it and it was the final blow: now neither OSes (linux/windows) recognized the device and I couldn't really do anything else with it. Not even use it as a flashlight because pushing the power button didn't do anything. Too bad cause it would have made an ok flashlight.

What I didn't like with rockbox is that it felt limited, there were some basic features I needed to be able to use, like changing the volume without being in the "now playing" display, remembering FM stations presets, etc. It was fine for 90% of the expected behavior but there was always some really annoying lack. I do salute the effort of rockbox developers, they're making a really relevant product, and I myself will also encourage anyone who's not satisfied with their firmware to try it, it's just that the Fuze+ version wasn't fine-tuned enough for my needs at the time.