android
Old 09-05-2013, 03:53 PM

Unhappy 2 Really Annoying Tagging/Music Sorting Problems

I just got the Cowon x9 for my birthday and its awesome. The sound is great and its comfortable to use.

I have 2 major problems that I can't seem to find anywhere else on the internet in general:

1) Does anyone know how to un-alphabetize the songs in albums? Album sequencing is obviously quite important in music and it is rather annoying.

2) I have a tagging problem I can't work out how to fix. Most of my music is sorted fine. But there are several songs that are either placed weirdly like in the ":PH:" folder instead of the proper Artist-Album sequence OR they are all lumped into the Unknown folder - what makes it weird is it is sometimes a few select songs in the album, while the rest are ok. My previous MP3 player was a sony walkman that also used Windows Explorer to import music files and that worked fine.

Any idea how I can sort this out?

Cheers.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

You don't say what type files they are, what software was used to tag them or what mode, MSC or MTP, was used to load them. That info would give someone with knowledge of the player a clue as to what might be the problem.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Welcome to ABi

You don't say what type files they are, what software was used to tag them or what mode, MSC or MTP, was used to load them. That info would give someone with knowledge of the player a clue as to what might be the problem.
Oh of course. Erm...I believe for the most part it is AAC with a few MP3s. The tagging software I use is Itunes.

I used MSC.

Is there something else I should've done?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Looking at the tech specs AAC isn't officially supported so it's not set to properly read those tags. The only way I know to get the AAC files to sort the way you want would be to view them from the Folders menu. That uses the file name that has the leading track number . I don't have the X9 but with the other Cowon players I've dealt with that's been the easiest way to get them to sort properly. Someone else may know another work around.

Work arounds are the best you can expect is my best guess. Cowons have unofficially supported AAC for quite a while. It seems that's a overlap from being able to play avi or XVid video files with a MP4 component. Whenever I've seen someone report a reply from Cowon customer support dealing with audio only AAC the answer has been to use a supported format. From what I gather if they ever officially supported AAC playback the licensing fee would be higher.

The default iTunes tagging format is ID3v2.2. That should be supported but the ID3 "standard" is so screwed up that it may be that your player has issues reading the iTunes written tags properly. I do all my final tagging using MP3Tag set to write ID3v2.3 tags only. Files tagged that way have always sorted and displayed the way I've expected.

There's a setting somewhere in iTunes to convert the tag version. I don't have it installed on this machine and don't remember exactly how to do it. The time I did it for someone how to do it came up in the first few results of a google using the search terms "change itunes mp3 tagging". It should be easy to find the procedure if you want to give it a shot and see if it helps.

I don't know if it's different on the X9 but when I've just changed tags on the other Cowons the changes weren't picked up in the database refresh. I had to either remove and replace the files or delete the PARAM.CFG file for the changes to appear. Deleting the PARAM.CFG file is quicker if you have a lot of files to move but you lose all your settings.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:43 AM

Hmm I had no idea AAC wasn't officially supported. I tried editing the tags and it didn't change anything (although I haven't deleted the Param.cfg yet). So it looks like I will probably have to go back to MP3s if I want a properly tagged music library.

Annoying to say the least! Thank you so much for your help

Old 09-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Administrator

As AAC isn't supported changing the tags won't cause them to be read properly by the database in any case. Deleting the PARAM.CFG will only work to cause any updated MP3 or supported format tags to be re-read by the database.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
As AAC isn't supported changing the tags won't cause them to be read properly by the database in any case. Deleting the PARAM.CFG will only work to cause any updated MP3 or supported format tags to be re-read by the database.
Ah right. Thanks for your help. I realized that MP3s are fine. I guess I better start ripping Mp3s from now on.