android
Old 09-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default New IEM suggestions please...

Now that my beloved UE Triple Fi 10's arn't arriving (im dunker56), and I'm put off by the idea of purchasing fake Senny IE8's, I'm looking for guidance in buying a new pair of IEMs.
I love my Soundmagic E10s, but want to see if I can do better. So far I have been using dfkt's spreadsheet as a buying guide, I have owned a few from here and agree with his findings, therefore I'm kinda looking at IEMs above the Soundmagic E10s placement.

What would really be neat if it was updated Surely dfkt has tried new IEMs since then!?

haha anyway...

I would like to try the Earsonics Sm3's (they're discontinued now huh, SM3's V2's?), but man they are still pricey...

Anyway I'm open to suggestions, lets not talk $$ here just yet, just throw some well respected IEMs at me that should sound better E10's..

For example, I can get some Sony XBA4's for $160 currently, are they good?

Cheers,

Bruce

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

(Bruce, on a total side note, I wanted to thank you for posting, earlier, your issue with a pair of your IEMs, with regard to overheating. I had a similar issue over the weekend while hiking and dreaded that my phones had died--but then I remembered your posts and let the IEMs cool down and/or dry out, and they're as good as new. Thanks!)

Old 09-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

ha! well that's good news they are in fact fine now. What did you do to actively cool them down/dry out? Just leave them be or more?

I ask as I tried mine 3-4 times with 2-3 days complete breaks in between tries, still not fixed. I ended up giving them to my wife as she does shorter commutes (about an hour long) so the issue never flares up for her. It would be around the 2hr mark that my issue would arise and ONLY if I take the left channel out of my ear and reinsert back in (right was fine), I hazard a guess that If I left them inside ear canal the whole day the problem might not arise. It was the 'hot>cold' exposure that affected them I'm sure.

Which brings me onto my next point... 'noise isolation/pressure buildup/sensitive fit'.

When trying my xba 3's for the first time i noticed how well they isolated noise, that is cancelled noise from the outside world out. They did a far better job of this than my SoundMagic E10s. The XBA2's were also similar in this regard.
Furthermore I was using the exact same style silicone tip, namely large triple flange tips (they seem to be best for me).
So big was the difference was that when i pause my player when using the E10's I could (still) hold a conversation with someone without pulling the iems out of my ears, this was not possible with the xba2's or xba3's, I wouldn't be able to hear a word uttered and would have to pull an ear bud out to hear what was being said.

This was how I came to experience the above heat/moisture mentioned problem due to someone wanting to speak with me whilst I was listening to music and having to remove a bud to do so.
Anyway... my point is, this 'extreme' level of noise isolation also seemed to make the IEMs harder to direct the sound properly to the ear canal. Like... I would often mess for 5mins inserting them into the ear to get things sounding right, something i never have to do with the E10s.
It's as if the slightest accidental knock or tap of an XBA3 (when already inserted) and the noise would be more muffled and less clear, I would have to wiggle more and more sometimes reinserting to get things sounding right again...
Also it felt as though I wasn't 'equalizing pressure' as well when wearing xba's as opposed to e10s (I do travel up and down nearly 1000m difference in altitude in a day). I found I needed to manually equalize more wearing the xba3's than e10s.

Then I realised I have experienced this before with IEMs, the last time being when I had my first IEMs, the Etymotic ER6's.
So I don't know what to call this effect other than both the ER6's and XBA's seemed to be very fussy on getting sound directed properly into the ear canal regardless of tips being used (FYI triple flange is also what I used with the ER6's all those many moons ago).
I have tried several other IEMs over the years (super fi 5's, Hippo VB, V-Moda's etc) none of which were like this (again all using triple flange), to my knowledge it seemed to only be the ER6's and XBAs that were like this.

So now i'm also wondering if this 'sensitive fit phenomena' is directly related to an IEMs noise cancellation/isolation properties because the ER6's were also very good at blocking out sound from the outside world... All other IEMs that don't suffer this same problem don't isolate as well also.

I don't know of any other way to explain it, I can wear my E10's, slip them in the ear easily, get it sounding right, not have to fix the sound of them over a period of time (like 3-4hrs later), if I do a quick push back in and the sound is fine again. With the XBA's I can be fiddling with one ear for 5-10 mins to get sound directed back again properly. The slightest touch or shift of the XBA when in the ear is felt and heard very sensitively, it's like the margin of finding the 'sweet spot' is very narrow with XBAs and very large/forgiving for the E10s.
I can't help feeling that its a pressure buildup issue directly related to noise cancellation properties of an IEM, the better the blockout effect of the outside world, the narrower the scope for finding that sweetspot.

Anyway I brought this up out of curiosity to see if anyone else feels similar. If people are responding saying "I find this true also" then perhaps really good noise blockout IEMs arn't for me and I should be looking for similar quantities as E10's etc.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
ha! well that's good news they are in fact fine now. What did you do to actively cool them down/dry out? Just leave them be or more?
It was odd--the sound diminished in a controlled fashion and went out on me in one of the buds, in less than 10 seconds--almost as if someone has simply turned the volume down. The other bud was fine. This happened after a couple of hours of vigorous hiking on a warm (but not hot) day--but something I've done before, without any issue.

I don't know if it was overheating or, perhaps, a drop of sweat that somehow had worked its way into the hole of the rubber tip of the the bud (the bud otherwise is sealed), but I just let them rest for a couple of hours in a cool, shaded location, cooling down and, perhaps, drying out. And then, when I dared it, I tested the phones and they were fine again.

This was the same set of phones where the other bud had gone down to about 50% volume over the course of a couple of days, again for no good reason that I know of. That condition persisted for 3-4 weeks of use (I'm frugal and refused to give up the ghost), and then, over the course of a day or 2, the full volume came back.

Gremlins, I tell you, gremlins.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well my wife has the XBA3's now, she wears them during her commutesto work, about an hour or so each way, has had no issues so far, I didn't either till around the 2hr mark.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So far I have stuck with cheaper, IEMs however I noticed that those with larger drivers seem to produce much stronger deep bass. The one with the largest drivers I have is the Sony MDR-EX210B, which has 13.5mm drivers. The Soundmagic E10 has 10mm drivers for comparison. I have the Soundmagic ES18, which is said to have the same drivers as the E10 and sound very similar. While the ES18 sounds very musical, it lacks the strong deep bass impact of the EX210B.The Ex210B is not an extra bass IEM though, and its deep bass imo sounds quite natural. The Panasonic RPHJE450 is the IEM I use the most, as it fits so well due to its very ergonomic shape. it has 12.5 mm drivers and has nice bass impact, but not quite as strong as the EX210B. it is ported though, so it isn't a great isolator. If you don't have any IEMs with a larger driver, then you should consider getting the EX210B to get an idea of what is achievable with a larger driver.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanx for the suggestions JK98. In a panic I bought the RP-HJE900 seeing as I could only find one seller in all my hunting and he had only 2 pairs left! They seem to come highly regarded and even placed higher on dfkt's spreadsheet chart than the E10's so hopefully I will hear a marked improvement.
Ended up paying $150AUD all up for them, will have to wait awhile as the seller (amazon.uk) wouldn't ship directly to me so will first go to my dad's uk address and then he will fwd to me.. <sigh>

But i will bear yer info in mind for future purchases

Cheers,

Bruce