android
Old 08-29-2013, 09:58 AM

Default So, does anyone regret buing Clip Zip over Clip+?

Question goes mostly to people who previously owned Clip+ and bought Clip Zip after.

Well I gotta admit that i regret buying Zip, mostly because in general it's step back from Clip+

1. Color screen in such a small device? Why? It consumes battery much, much faster, it's not really good screen either and what's most annoying you can't see shit when you're out on sunny day. Clip+ had perfect readability in every weather and it could play for like 12 hours, even more with rockbox.

2. I don't really like buttons on Clip Zip, they rattle around like crazy and they are too darn small, even for me (i got a rather medium sized hands). The same goes with power button it rattles around and it responsiveness is rather questionable.

3. Only good thing i find in Zip is micro usb port which is helpful for obvious reasons. You can use the same cable for your cellphone and mp3.

So i find Clip Zip to be as big fail as Fuze+, well maybe a less fail but still fail.
I only wish for Clip+ with micro usb, That would be perfect.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-29-2013, 10:42 AM

I too prefer the Clip+ to the Zip. I think the main reason is the buttons on the Clip Zip are too cramped for my fat thumbs. The screen is pretty lousy, but some rockbox themes improved it a lot (by making it look like the Clip+ screen).

Old 08-29-2013, 06:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I might prefer certain aspects of the Clip+, but I certainly wouldn't call the Clip Zip a "fail" as a general matter, and certainly not in the sense of a Fuze+ (with all due respect to that device).

Old 08-29-2013, 06:38 PM

I don't need the screen on the zip, but otherwise I've no complaints. I got the zip because the fm on my clip+ was poor. Not all clip+'s have the fm problem, I was one of the unlucky ones. Had the fm not been a problem I certainly wouldn't have purchased the zip.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakbeat View Post
Question goes mostly to people who previously owned Clip+ and bought Clip Zip after.

Well I gotta admit that i regret buying Zip, mostly because in general it's step back from Clip+

1. Color screen in such a small device? Why? It consumes battery much, much faster,
It's not the fact that it is a color screen so much that the screen is simply bigger....that's why it might use a little more battery.
Quote:
it's not really good screen either and what's most annoying you can't see shit when you're out on sunny day.
I could say the same about every player and phone that I have had over the years.
Quote:
Clip+ had perfect readability in every weather
Uh, no....I disagree. more readable than a Zip with stock firmware? Sure, but not perfect readability in the sun either. Only thing with readability in the sun is a Kindle or Nook with one of those e-ink screens.

(And there are Rockbox themes that look like a bigger Clip+ screen, as somebody said earlier)
Quote:
and it could play for like 12 hours, even more with rockbox.
When my first Zip was new (the one I reviewed here ) it played for exactly 12 hours.....and again, that improved with Rockbox.

Quote:
2. I don't really like buttons on Clip Zip, they rattle around like crazy and they are too darn small, even for me (i got a rather medium sized hands). The same goes with power button it rattles around and it responsiveness is rather questionable.
"Rattle around like crazy" is an exaggeration unless something drastically changed. Even my original Zip which is literally over two years old, the buttons do feel a hair loose, but that has not changed in all the time I have had it.

Size of the buttons, well, everyone has different sized fingers.

Quote:
3. Only good thing i find in Zip is micro usb port which is helpful for obvious reasons. You can use the same cable for your cellphone and mp3.

So i find Clip Zip to be as big fail as Fuze+, well maybe a less fail but still fail.
I only wish for Clip+ with micro usb, That would be perfect.
It's not even in the same galaxy as far as comparing it to the Fuze+. The F+ is the epitome of suck, but even that is usable with Rockbox.

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 08-29-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:16 AM

I'm probably in the minority as I had a Clip Zip before I bought a Clip+, mainly because I was dissatisfied with the build quality and fuzzy screen of the Zip.

The Clip+ just feels sturdier and more "classy" to me, for lack of a better word. Everything, from the plastic used to the way the buttons feel when you press them.

Hypothetically I love album art on an MP3 player. Practically, in the case of the Clip Zip, the low-res screen made it feel chintzy. I started using Rockbox themes based on the blue/yellow of the Clip/Clip+

Then, just on a hunch, I got a Clip+ and I was actually blown away. The LED screen is soooooo much easier to see and read and the button locations just seem more logical. I've actually gotten to the point where the Clip+ has become my favorite all-around player, even moreso than the Fuze I have which suffers from that same low-res screen and an imprecise scroll wheel control.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have both the Clip+ and Clip Zip, and both are Rockboxed. I prefer the Clip Zip due to the larger screen, and the ability to use the runner theme, which is white letters on a dark background.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:07 PM

I think I prefer the Zip. The only weakness in it, compared to the Clip+, is that the navigation plate is somewhat loose fitting. It moves around a bit and do not give a good impression regarding build quality. Otherwise, I'm happy with the Zip. The screen could be better but I still prefer it to the Clip+'s screen.

Both with Rockbox. (The Zip, though, freezes when connected to my computer. So, I have to use the original firmware for file transfers.)

Old 09-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Administrator

I've had both for quite a while and can't find enough difference in build quality to prefer one over the other. If I needed another small clip on type DAP I'd get whichever of them I could find cheapest.

Neither is built to a very high standard and the differences seem to be more a matter of taste that actual usability. I'll grab either one the way out the house and won't have any problems getting the one I have working to get my music playing.

They are what they are. Very good for the price but not ultimate be all\do all devices.