android
Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 AM

Default Closed Headphone under 150€

Hey,

to my big surprise i was helped really well in the DAP regards, so i thought i'd ask for my next upgrade again.
First i'd like to say thank you for making me purchse the clip zip. I never expected it to be what i needed but it's near perfect.
Now i need some new Headphones to go with it. To get the easy stuff out of the way, here we go:

Budget: 150€ Max. Less is better and i'm only spending this money if it's worth it. If 50€ phones deliver similar performance, i'll prefer these!

Category: No IEM. No Open Headphones as i use them for my daily commute. Doesn't have to be super portable. I would take full size headphones without a problem.

Primary location of use: Mainly for my daily way to work but also at Home for some "audiophile" listening and enjoying music.

Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: I currently have a Sony XB500. This, for comparison, is too mudy and dark overall. It just isn't "fun" enough. I'd prefer a neutral sound to experience my possibility to listen to flac on the clip zip.
It should be well driven by the clip zip but i don't mind spending money on an amp later to further improve sound.

Media: For fun/daily use: Heavy Rock over Metalcore to grindcore and everything in between!
Apart from that i listen to nearly everything: Pop, Country, Fusion, Classical... So a good alrounder is needed with focus on the Heavier music.

Source: Clip Zip. If needed i'll take an amp with me but only if it's worth it. I'd like to have a headphone that has potential to get better with better sources.

Currently i have a look at the AKG K550. I'd be able to get this for 147€ which seems to be a good deal. On the other hand this seems to be much money which isn't easily spend. I'd like to hear your opinions and recommendations.

Thanks for your help
Dominik

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-28-2013, 12:15 PM

Candidates you may want to consider:

*Audio-Techinca ATH-M50s or one of its very closely related variants—e.g., Audio-Technica ATH-M50
*Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Limited Edition 32 Ohms or the very similar Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 32 Ohms
*KRK Systems KNS 6400
*Sennheiser HD 280 PRO
*Sony MDR-7506 or the very similar Sony MDR-V6

I have the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s, Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Limited Edition 32 Ohms, KRK Systems KNS 6400, Sennheiser HD 280 PRO, and Sony MDR-7506. All of these are closed circumaural headphones that are sensitive enough so that a headphone amplifier is not required. I also have a SanDisk Clip Zip. I find all of these headphones to be comfortable.

Of these five, the Sony MDR-7506 has the smallest earcups. If you have larger-than-average ears, you may want the Beyerdynamics, because they have larger-than-average earcups. I am very happy with the sound quality of all of these headphones. The best isolation of these five are the Sennheisers.

A close second in isolation are the Beyerdynamics. If you want a detachable cable, buy the Sennheisers or KRKs. For value, the Sony MDR-V6 might be very tough to beat. Make sure you can return the headphones if you find them uncomfortable.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Do take a moment and look at these Incase Sonic phones:

http://goincase.com/shop/incase-soni...hones#color/87

Originally $149.95 online direct from Incase and $200 at Apple stores (you can just see Mac/iPhone/iPad/iPod users loving these, and Apple loving selling them; even the packaging is Apple-like, with a magnetic front flap--really), they are on sale, now, for $59.95 from Incase. That's a super price--even with shipping (they do ship internationally (I checked): $30 for international priority mail to Germany, 6-10 business days for delivery), it still seems a nice deal. Very comfortable (perhaps one of the most comfortable you'll ever try), nicely (and simply) stylish, and good sound--definitely a competitor to over-$100 headphones.

Here's a fair review of the phones to check out: http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/inc...-35191701.html

A comparison perhaps to note: Amazon-Germany has these thru a few private sellers out of Japan, for more than 166 Euros. Also, if interested in these, you might try an online search for a discount code to use with Incase--it's had sizable ones in the past, even applicable to sale items.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:08 AM

Default Jvc ha-s500

JVC HA-S500 folding headphones, sell for under $60, in the USA.
You can buy them on eBay.
Beyer DT880 600-Ohm
ATH-W1000X

Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 AM

Hey,

Just a little Heads-Up. First, thanks for all the recommendations. I went to musicstore today. They had pretty much every model in question on display (plus some more).
I had the opportunity to listen to all of them. I also was able to listen to them with my own source.
The K550 wasn't available to listen to, so i listened to all the other AKG's to get a feeling for the sound of akg's. I must say that they weren't my cup of tea. Just to flat overall and really to much mids for me.
The Krk were to bassie for me. The Sennheisers didn't fit my ears (neither did the Audia Technica).
Long story short: I went with the DT770 80 Ohm Version. They seemed to have the best balance of audiophile and fun. Great Bass, really nice resolution. And thy are just like made for my head.

One thing i learned is that buying Headphones without listening is not possible. Thanks for the good input! Now i just need to sort out the cabeling.. 3 meters is just to long. So i think a recableing is waiting along with making the cable detachable...

Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I own the Incase Sonic & the JVC HA-S500,...the S500's are the winner across the board. They easily best hp's costing $150USD+,... I would know, as I own a few of those as well.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I own the Incase Sonic & the JVC HA-S500,...the S500's are the winner across the board. They easily best hp's costing $150USD+,... I would know, as I own a few of those as well.
+1

I auditioned the Sonics, and they are comfortable, but the S500 are clearly the better sounding 'phones.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Interesting perspective--the JVC's just don't look particularly comfortable to me, like many larger phones nowadays (manfs. ignoring that issue).

Old 08-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Interesting perspective--the JVC's just don't look particularly comfortable to me, like many larger phones nowadays (manfs. ignoring that issue).
The S500 aren't really that large....certainly smaller than the Sonics.
I suppose it comes down to this.....do you buy them for sound or comfort? I will say that the Sonics, with some Rockbox EQ tweaks, became very nice sounding headphones. But not everyone has a player with a good EQ.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
They're comfortable to me, and the sq is excellent. Plus the size is mid, not large. Try 'em, then judge. I was quite skeptical of all the claims made about them,...Marvin set meh straight.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
...do you buy them for sound or comfort?
If I can't have both I get rid of them. I've had some decent sounding headphones that weren't comfortable enough to let me keep them on long enough to enjoy them. They had to go. I figured there's no sense in having great sounding headphones I couldn't use without getting a headache or having my ears aching.

Comfort is very individual imo. I've had lightweight, low clamp pressure supra aurals that sat at just the wrong points on my ears to cause them to hurt after a relatively short time. I have others like the Senn HD280 that are known for their high clamping force and can wear them for hours and forget I have them on.

Having experienced that I don't think you can look at a set of 'phones and tell if they'll be comfortable. Like judging how a set sounds to your ears you have to put them on and listen for an extended period to judge them fully.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
If I can't have both I get rid of them. I've had some decent sounding headphones that weren't comfortable enough to let me keep them on long enough to enjoy them. They had to go. I figured there's no sense in having great sounding headphones I couldn't use without getting a headache or having my ears aching.

Comfort is very individual imo. I've had lightweight, low clamp pressure supra aurals that sat at just the wrong points on my ears to cause them to hurt after a relatively short time. I have others like the Senn HD280 that are known for their high clamping force and can wear them for hours and forget I have them on.

Having experienced that I don't think you can look at a set of 'phones and tell if they'll be comfortable. Like judging how a set sounds to your ears you have to put them on and listen for an extended period to judge them fully.
The S500 seem to be polarizing in this regard....some of us think they are just fine, and others say it's the most uncomfortable thing ever. so I guess it really is individual.

I can wear them with my glasses long enough to watch a Lord Of The Rings movie without being uncomfortable.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
The S500 aren't really that large....certainly smaller than the Sonics.
I suppose it comes down to this.....do you buy them for sound or comfort?
Both, for me, I've found--if the comfort isn't there, I just won't enjoy using them for long, as I've found out by experimenting with a number of high quality phones at my local Best Buy. Very enlightening--and disappointing (I had been very interested in the AIAIAI TMA-1 phones, but found the hard rubber headband to be uncomfortable--it seems that this is fairly typical, unfortunately; likewise Grado phones, for me, at least) . . . . I think that this is a thing that Insonic got right with the Sonic phones (I think that a CNET review even said that this should become the standard for phones comfort).

Old 09-01-2013, 05:16 AM

Hey, since this thread seems to head into a different direction, i figured i might as well ask here.
Anyone who might tell me where to buy good cabel for rewiring the headphones? I live in Germany. I am comfortable to order online. I'm not interested in diamont plated gold cables which are handdone only within the right moonlight. I am searching a good audio cable around awg 26 (0.14 mm˛) which i can braid and use for the headphones.
Our normal electronics shops (conrad, reichelt...) only sell cheap copper wires in this thickness for use as switchwires... so not the best possibility i figured. Any good shops you know?

Dominik

Old 09-01-2013, 06:50 PM

If you're into modding, you can order a couple of these earpads and do a mod using an O-ring to make the JVC's into an around-ear headphone. (I plan on doing this when my pair arrives, as I own the HA-S500's and just recently found out about the mod.) More info is in some of the reviews at the link or at Head-Fi's thread for the 'phones.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:38 AM

there are many choices for the headphones under 150€
personally i prefer to choose the Sony MDR-7506
you can read the review from the cnet about it