android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 08-13-2013, 07:15 PM

Default Clip Zip battery specs needed - replacing battery or making battery powered charger

A friend is taking a solo hike for a bit over a week and wants to take the noise of the city (ok, I didn't actually ask what she wants) with her when she's out in the woods.
She bought a clip zip since it is tiny. Obviously the battery won't last, even with rockbox.

I don't have it here with me so I can't just break it open and I failed to find the answer searching here. Anyone know the specs of the battery installed in the Clip Zip? If I knew, I could figure out what capacity battery would be large enough and replace the one it came with (probably involving uglifying and extending the case, which is fine).

Alternately, I could just make a lipo powered charger. I still need the battery specs to know what to use to make the charger.

Any info, suggestions or other alternatives would be great. If you have a general sense of the battery capacity that will help. Exact specs would be great, and if you've done this already and share what worked you get free time and extra recess! Or something.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Samsung Moderator

You can find info about the Clip Zip hardware here: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaClip with for example this pic for the battery: http://img.elektrokrishna.com/images...5272451097.jpg

Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

A search tip for here. The search engine in the site has been improved but it's still nothing special. I find it easier to do an external google search and make the sites name part of my search terms. That's how I found this thread http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=55110 that should have the information you need. There's links to the Rockbox site that has a fair amount of detailed info on the Clip's internals.

Here's a link to a replacement battery that may be compatible http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=13327697. I'm not sure that would work in a Clip Zip but it's another place to start looking if nothing else. I don't remember where that came from, I just have it in my bookmarks.

All that falls into the too much effort category for me. A Clip will also run from an external USB charger. Getting one of those of Amazon or some such would no doubt be easier and most probably cheaper. There's also less chance of breaking it with a DIY effort.

Not that Clip style players are difficult to get apart. You can probably find disassembly vids on Youtube.

Some of portable USB chargers work with both standard and rechargeable off the shelf batteries. That would let the hiker have as much recharge capability as they want up to the point weight became an issue.

Portable USB chargers work even if the battery is completely cashed. The player stops working as soon as you disconnect from the charger but as long as there's power it works.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Agreed; a portable power source--you can find some as small as the Clip itself--is the way to go.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:51 PM

That is really helpful all around. I'll read up on the links regarding the battery it has, but I think you're right about an external source. I forgot those even existed but they're the right answer. She'll pack light but isn't going ultra crazy light, as I understand it.

OK, Now I have to get one for myself. Anything I can replace firmware for tends to rank as fun.

Thank yoU!

Old 08-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

A couple of thoughts about external power supplies:

-- If there's sun out, a solar external charger could fit the bill.

-- Some external power supplies can take AA batteries--this could be helpful for prolonged use over many days: just swap in some replacement AA batteries when the originals wear out.

And, yep, can be fun to put Rockbox (the replacement firmware) on your Clip and open up possibilities, including to mod.