android
Old 08-10-2013, 09:35 AM

Default senn mx375 thoughts

hi all,

recently bagged some 'to cheap to leave on the shelf' mx375s - i like the look of the mx470s more, but they were full price in the shop while these were down to 5.90!

on the box they said they were over powering bass or sumink like that - might be me, but i cant here it :/

also they are a bit on the large side i find, and the case back a bit of an odd shape for ultimate comfort

.....im unsure whether foam covers are good or bad :/ ? generally dont like the feel of foam covers, but thought they might improve bass

cheers
dan

...using them with my rockbox clip zip at mo

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-10-2013, 12:55 PM

I haven't tried the MX375's, but I think it is safe to say that all earbuds are bass challenged.

My Sennheiser earbuds do sound better with the foams on.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:01 PM

hi - yes you are right i think - it was just a bit odd that they put it on the packet
cheers

Old 08-11-2013, 06:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The MX375 looks much more interesting than the MX365, as the MX375 is listed as 32 ohms 122 db/V, while the MX365 is only 110 db/V. At 122 db/V 32 ohms, the MX375 is 107 db/mw, while the MX365 is just 95 db/mw. With a very low powered portable, one might not get enough volume with the MX365, or might have to have the volume on a low powered portable cranked up to maximum, which would probably impair the sound quality. Is the MX375 very new? It doesn't seem to be available in the US, with retailers selling the MX365 instead. For $9 I would buy the MX375. I pass on the MX365 since it is so inefficient, and is $20. I paid only $22 each a few years ago for the MX580 which is excellent.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 AM

hi JK,

thanks for the info - i assumed the 375s were old as being sold off cheap...and that the 470s were the newer model - but could be wrong - the 580s look a better shape imo from the pics

the sound on the 375s is nice and clear - not too high freq - but less bassy than the ie2s

...maybe i dont have the volume up high enough on the CZ

they oddly arent that comfy though i find :/ smeone else reviewed this on amazon too

they are ok though for 6

cheers
dan

Old 08-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danx55 View Post
hi JK,

thanks for the info - i assumed the 375s were old as being sold off cheap...and that the 470s were the newer model - but could be wrong - the 580s look a better shape imo from the pics

the sound on the 375s is nice and clear - not too high freq - but less bassy than the ie2s

...maybe i dont have the volume up high enough on the CZ

they oddly arent that comfy though i find :/ smeone else reviewed this on amazon too

they are ok though for 6

cheers
dan
The exchange rate is now $1.5498 US per quid, so let's call it $1.55. So 5.90 quid is $9.15 US. On the Sennheiser website they list the the MX375 as being 14.95 Euros, which is $20 US.

Most earbuds are bass deficient, however the MX580 puts out much more bass than the average traditional earphone. I use Rockbox on my Sandisk players. Rockbox has a bass setting that works very well without impairing the sound, so when I use traditional earbuds I boost the bass on the player.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 AM

ahh...good point - ive not played around with any of the RB sound settings - shall have a look at that - thanks

Old 08-12-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danx55 View Post
.....im unsure whether foam covers are good or bad :/ ? generally dont like the feel of foam covers, but thought they might improve bass

cheers
dan

...using them with my rockbox clip zip at mo
I prefer the sound of the MX375s with the foams on. I think they lack a bit of bass without them. With them, they're some of the bassiest earbuds I own (while still being balanced sounding overall).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep mode zZ View Post
I haven't tried the MX375's, but I think it is safe to say that all earbuds are bass challenged.

My Sennheiser earbuds do sound better with the foams on.
Agreed on the last part, but not on the first. Provided foams are used and you're getting a good fit (the real sticking point in my experience), the MX375 (and higher-end MX985) do not lack bass AT ALL. In fact, they definitely have more bass than neutral, but that's what makes them enjoyable even outdoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The MX375 looks much more interesting than the MX365, as the MX375 is listed as 32 ohms 122 db/V, while the MX365 is only 110 db/V. At 122 db/V 32 ohms, the MX375 is 107 db/mw, while the MX365 is just 95 db/mw. With a very low powered portable, one might not get enough volume with the MX365, or might have to have the volume on a low powered portable cranked up to maximum, which would probably impair the sound quality. Is the MX375 very new? It doesn't seem to be available in the US, with retailers selling the MX365 instead. For $9 I would buy the MX375. I pass on the MX365 since it is so inefficient, and is $20. I paid only $22 each a few years ago for the MX580 which is excellent.
Having both the MX365 and MX375, I can say that I don't really find a huge difference in drivability. However, the MX375 sounds much better than the MX365; the MX365 sounds like a retuned MX400/500. Compared to more modern earbud designs, the MX365 just lacks dynamics and bass impact, and its soundstage isn't as deep. The MX580 is MUCH better than the MX365, but I would say the MX375 and MX580 are about equal, though the sound signatures are very different (while still being Sennheisers).

It really is a shame that the MX375 isn't sold here in the States. In the UK, for example, the MX365 and MX375 are sold for about the same price, but the MX375 sounds better and comes with a pouch that the MX365 doens't. Why would anybody choose the MX365?

Old 08-12-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk1281 View Post
Agreed on the last part, but not on the first. Provided foams are used and you're getting a good fit (the real sticking point in my experience), the MX375 (and higher-end MX985) do not lack bass AT ALL. In fact, they definitely have more bass than neutral, but that's what makes them enjoyable even outdoors.
This is of course debatable, so let's debate this:

If you compare the frequency range diagrams from earbuds to to those from full size circumaural headphones, or IEMS, you can see that the bass response can't compete. The best earbuds, in respect to bass, seems to be the Yuin PK1 that can produce bass well down to about 80Hz, then the amplitude drops rapidly. AT 20Hz it's dropped about 13dB. Apple earpods drops about 23 dB. These are the most impressive earbuds among the ones that InnerFidelity have tested.

Many closed circumaural phones and IEMs can produce bass frequencies down to 20Hz without any drop in amplitude. For earbuds that is probably physically impossible.

The lowest note on a 4 string bass guitar is at 41Hz, on a 5 string bass guitar at about 30Hz. So I would say that because earbuds can't really reproduce these requencies, on level with higher frequencies, they are bass challenged.

To give a bassy impression, earbuds can exggerate the bass frequencies that they are able to produce. For some this is good enough. Still I would not recommend earbuds for a bass lover.

The fit of course makes a difference and my OMX980 can sound quite bassy if I keep pressing them against my ears. Of course that is not a real option and with earbuds it's necessary to accept their one and only real shortcoming - to be able to enjoy their strengths.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:50 PM

I think I slightly misunderstood what you said about earbuds being bass-challenged. I do agree that earbuds in general have issues replicating the lowest of low frequencies. But I've always questioned frequency response curves for earbuds since oftentimes what I hear doesn't match what's on the graph.

Let's take the MX680 for example. Tyll's graphs say that the response at 30Hz is -25dB (give or take). That's inaudible. But when listing to test tones, I can easily hear 30Hz. 20Hz, on the other hand, can hardly be heard at all. So the roll-off is accurately displayed, but not the amount of bass. I'm not well-versed in how Tyll makes his graphs, but my uneducated guess is that the MX680 wasn't fitting well in the dummy head's ears. There could be a variety of reasons for this. Maybe foams weren't used, or maybe the earbuds just didn't fit. Whatever the case, what I'm hearing isn't the same as what Tyll's mics are picking up.

At the end of the day, people will get different experiences from the same earbuds because of differences in anatomy of the ear and (to a much lesser degree) how patient the person is in experimenting with ways to get the best possible fit.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:57 PM

hi guys,

thanks for all the frequency tech info

....i accidently went and bought a pair of philips iem phones today ...oops

not tried them yet though

cheers
dan

Old 08-17-2013, 09:44 PM

update: i like the philips ones much more - sound is pretty similar - but oddly (for me) the iems are more comfortable than the buds