android
Old 08-01-2013, 05:43 AM

Default new clip zip doesnt see 4gb card :/

hi all,

just stuck in an old 4gb card (sandisk and all) with a few tunes on it - but just sits on the refreshing media screen

i had reformated the card as fat32 before adding music. the payer seems to be a v1 unfortunately - was expecting a v2 - but is on latest firmware it seems.

i tried to run the updater but doesnt seem to like my old laptop :/

help!

thanks
dan

....i know i know - new device stress - sorry

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danx55 View Post
hi all,

just stuck in an old 4gb card (sandisk and all) with a few tunes on it - but just sits on the refreshing media screen

i had reformated the card as fat32 before adding music. the payer seems to be a v1 unfortunately - was expecting a v2 - but is on latest firmware it seems.

i tried to run the updater but doesnt seem to like my old laptop :/

help!

thanks
dan

....i know i know - new device stress - sorry
There is no V1 and V2 Clip Zip....they're all the same. And you don't need that crappy updater.....look here.....
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=64931

Old 08-01-2013, 06:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Also don't install or remove a card while the player is on. all cards 32GB and less come formatted as FAT32 so you shouldn't format them unless they are not working properly. When a card needs to be formatted, it is much better to format it using the SD formatter than Windows.

Rockbox seems to work only with certain firmware versions. Check which firmware the player has and which work with Rockbox before you update the player's firmware(settings, system settings, info)

If the player sits on refreshing medi it probably means your tags are in the wrong format for the player. Rockbox is much less fussy than the original firmware when it comes to tag formats. The original firmware needs ID3V2.3 ISO8859-1 tags for mp3 files. To easily edit tags, the free program mp3Tag is very useful.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

Old 08-01-2013, 06:11 AM

hi guys.
thanks for quick replies.
ah ok cool.on another thread it said they had different hardware so wasn't sure.thanks.

will try card insert with player off.thanks

cheers

Old 08-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
hi guys.
thanks for quick replies.
ah ok cool.on another thread it said they had different hardware so wasn't sure.thanks.

will try card insert with player off.thanks

cheers
I think there may be some very minor differences in hardware, but nothing serious enough to be considered V1 and V2, like the first gen Clip and Fuze back in the day.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:16 AM

right - a step closer - card now is read ok - but no music can be seen :/
...im feeling the need for rockbox ?

...firmware check is 01.01.21F btw

Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 AM

ok latest rockbox installed and running ok - cant seem to find the sd card though :/

Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Administrator

I would get your problems ironed out with the OF before I tackled Rockbox. Using Rockbox isn't very difficult once you understand it but it's not a magic wand that will fix problems with tag issues.

Also it's a known issue the USB in Rockbox on the Clip Zip can be buggy. For me that exhibits as a failure to connect on the very first connection and the player locking up and needing to be rebooted by holding the power button for ~20 seconds. There's also certain themes that cause me USB transfer problems like lebellium's Samsung-like.

No one has been able to figure out the exact cause so it they haven't been able to fix the USB bugginess. The problems I have others don't and I never have the problems others have reliably reported.

Start simple, reset the settings and format the internal and external memories using the built in sandisk formatting function. Be sure to not to pick Europe during the setup that will be needed after that. That limits the volume in ways that most consider unacceptable.

After that set the USB transfer mode to MSC in the System Settings menu. That way any files you add will be visible and usable if you decide to install Rockbox. The database will refresh on the empty memories. That sets a folder structure the player will easily recognize.

Pick a few, say ten or less, folders of music to transfer. Drag and drop those into the Music folder you should see in you file browser. There's no need to use any software to transfer the files. Disconnect safely, I always do that as I've found the flash memories are prone to having file system problems if I don't.

After the database refresh the files should be able to be seen in your PC file browser and if no where else in the Folder Menu on the CZ. Anything that has a tag problem usually will show as Unknown.

When you report what's happening with you it's best to be as detailed as possible. When you say music can't be seen you don't say specifically how you're trying to view them. If they can't be seen on the player in any view that would mean one thing. If they can't be seen on the PC that usually means something else. If you add more info someone that gives someone who has seen your issue before what they need to let you how to correct the problem.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:21 AM

hiya skip,

many thanks for the info.

my CZ was in msc mode when i got it -so i left it like that - i transfered the music directly on to the sd card rather than copying while the card was in the CZ - maybe thats where i went wrong ?

the music on the sd card is at root level - ie ive not added another 'music' top level folder - so ive got /root and then 4 folders with a few albums in each

cheers
dan

...so when i now connect the CZ with sd card installed, i cant see the sd card mentioned in the shown folders - are they mapped to the ##music## folder?

Old 08-01-2013, 09:11 AM

You should see 2 drive letters when the drive is in MSC mode. If it doesn't work with the OF, there isn't much point in complicating things by installing Rockbox. Too often in this group advice is given that while on it's own is ok, may not be relevant to the problem. It's like your car doesn't start so someone tells you to check the tire pressures, nothing wrong with driving with correct tire pressure but not much to do with engine starting. By the way tire is the correct spelling over here, apparently when you rebel against your lawful liege, you mangle the language to show you mean business.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Administrator

When I post very specific direction about the OF I'm working from notes I made while helping someone get setup. I know those directions work if followed, I'm not sure what happens when you don't. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the Music folder is needed by the OF as that's where it looks for music files during the database refresh.

In Rockbox be sure to use the context menu under Settings=>General Settings=>File View=> to show All Files. The default is to only show Supported files.

You may also need to remove and reinsert the card a few time before and after boot to get Rockbox to recognize it. When it is you'll see it as <microSD1> in the file viewer. You can also check to see if it's been recognized under System=>Rockbox Info. It shows there as HD1. If it's not recognized yet it says it's not present.

When I've helped others get setup in real life I've noticed that trying to deal with Rockbox and the OF simultaneously increases the degree of difficulty significantly. The conventions inside Rockbox and the OF are very different. You can try tackling both at the same time but I believe it's going to make it much more difficult to become comfortable with either of them.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:57 AM

hi Dave,
many thanks.need to check it is still in correct mode then.
I can see 2 drives in my computer.one is internal cz and other says unformatted..odd as I did reformat it :-\
cheers

Old 08-01-2013, 09:59 AM

hi skip,
ok cool thanks again.will check those settings.
yes virtual help can be tricky, but is greatly received :-)
cheers

Old 08-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
hi Dave,
many thanks.need to check it is still in correct mode then.
I can see 2 drives in my computer.one is internal cz and other says unformatted..odd as I did reformat it :-\
cheers
I guess you may have formatted it wrong. Try formatting it with the SD formatter. Next time don't format a card unless it is not working properly, or is a 64GB micro SDXC card that you want to format as FAT32. MicroSDHC cards(and full sized ones) come formatted as FAT32.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:38 AM

hi JK,
ok thanks.could be that.I did select fat32 in my computer to format it.
cheers

Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yo did say it was an old card....are you sure the card itself still works? Do you have any other device to test it in?

Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 AM

hi Marvin,
yes it's the old card out of my desire.fortunately not my new in the post still 32gb card :-) I won't format that one :-D
I've only tried it on my laptop so far. shall see if I've got something else to try it in
cheers
Dan

Old 08-02-2013, 12:02 PM

very much hoping I have a fully functioning 32gb card in my CZ tonight :-D

Old 08-02-2013, 02:56 PM

HOORAY! new card works fine.phew! must have been due to previous android use of old card maybe.
job for tomorrow..figure out how to listen to stuff :-D

Old 08-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good to hear. Did you install Rockbox yet? Perhaps you should read through the manual for a while before installing it?
When using the Rockbox installer, don't forget to set the mountpoint(drive letter the pc assigned to the player after it was connected). When I first tried to install Rockbox I forgot to set it, and Rockbox didn't install. I spent around 2 hours until I figured out what I did wrong.

Don't put too many items in the root. I don't know about what it is for Rockbox, however I think the original firmware might only handle up to 255 items(files or folders) in the root, and perhaps also not more than that many items in a folder? I remember one person tried to put hundreds of songs in the root without using folders and the player choked. I have my music arranged in folders first by genre, then a subfolder for each artist, then a subfolder for each album, so I usually have less than 100 items in a folder, and probably less than 20 folders in the root(with very few loose files in the root).

Last edited by JK98; 08-02-2013 at 04:12 PM.