android
Old 07-30-2013, 07:21 AM

Question Galaxy player 70 plus or galaxy player 5.8?

As you can tell from my previous posts, my galaxy 5.0 is dying on me, and i can't seem to fix it.
What would you recommend for an android pmp? the galaxy player plus or the galaxy player 5.8? or is there another android pmp which can match the 5.0?
Thanks guys

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-30-2013, 07:39 AM

A factory refurbished with 90 day warranty can be had from ebay for $99. I have purchased many items from this seller and all appear to be new overstock selling as refurbs. If you put link in your watch list and check it daily as they keep changing the price back and forth, so wait for it to be $99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Fact...#ht_2169wt_919

The 2 links for a battery are still vaild, and much less than your find of $75.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Administrator

The 5.0 has older hardware, an older battery that isn't easily replaced and won't ever be updated past Gingerbread. That would make it a non starter for me.

I don't know enough about the 5.8 to give an informed opinion. It's much too large for me for it not to be a phone. It's at a size that would make 7 inch tablet more usable for me. That's meant I just haven't spent much time exploring it besides checking the subforum here.

I can't think of anything decent around that size being made by anyone else. It seems the Galaxy Player series was put out as competition to the ipod Touch. It's pretty much an older phone with the cell radio removed. Despite the splash it made around here it didn't seem to be very popular. Most reviewers panned it as over priced for it's feature set when compared to a Touch or a smartphone.

Most people I know either decided to get the phone version or go with a tablet. Other manufacturers seem to have noticed there wasn't much of a market and went in other directions. Guess they didn't see any upside in trying to compete with the big boys for the relatively few potential customers.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:58 PM

correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the 5.8 only available in Korea, or on ebay (for ridiculously high prices)?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:20 PM

Default absolutely right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the 5.8 only available in Korea, or on ebay (for ridiculously high prices)?
The cheapest i could find was $380 from Korea. The replacement batteries are too expensive too. they are about $80 for a new pack. far more expensive than the galaxy tab batteries.

Tags
galaxy player, galaxy player 5.0, galaxy player 5.8, galaxy player 70 plus, problems with