android
Old 07-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Sony XBA1 vs XBA2

So Sony Australia is having an 85% sale on some of it's IEM range. Deals can be seen here. Problem is the website is down for maintenance (likely due to huge traffic), I called a Sony Kiosk and have paid and secured a pair of XBA2's for $40AUD, I wanted the XBA3's but they have no stock left. Word on the street is Sony will have their website back up and running sometime soon and still have quite a few XBA3's for sale (this offer running all throughout month of July)...
I really want to try the XBA3's never before have I had the funds to try triple armature out, but now at these prices I can, hopefully i can get a pair sometime soon xD

Anyways, I'm going later today to pick up my XBA's 2, there are 9 XBA 1's left in stock at this kiosk, just wondering if anyone has experienced the two IEMs, if the xba's 2 are really a cut above the xba1's or not.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-06-2013, 06:25 AM

Can't speak for the XBA-1 but I got a pair of the XBA-2 for 50 a few months ago.

At firat I wasn't keen on them - the highs are a little metallic and splashy, but they have really grown on me and with 2 BAs are more detailed and crisp sounding than any of the dynamic driver iems I have. Lows are pretty good, too.

Note that Sony originally wanted 180 for these! They're not worth that, but still pretty good.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh i just grabbed a new pair for $40AUD lol, I should also be recieving a pair of XBA3's for $50 heh. Looking forward to testing the XBA2's tomorrow.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:17 AM

40 AUS dollars is great value - they're easily worth that, just takes a while 'til you get used to the sound signature. But they sound stellar with a lot of my music.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Great deal,...

Old 07-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If I could get the XBA-2 for $36.20 US(the equivalent of $40 Australian) I would probably buy 3 of them. Why don't we in the US get deals like this? On the US Sony website, the XBA-2 is listed at $200! It is $79 on Amazon. At $79 I am not enticed to buy.

Last edited by JK98; 07-07-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I put in my order for a pair of XBA3's, its not 100% confirmed, the order seemed to have went through ok, I have a confirmation email and order no. etc but it does say 'Backorder' as a status (no shipping email yet).

When I went to pick up a pair of the XBA2's from one of only 2 kiosks left in NSW (there are no Sony Centres in NSW anymore), the staff member showed me an email that came in 20mins ago (from Sony HQ). It showed about 200+ pairs of XBA2's still left and only 42 XBA3's (for all of Australasia). So it could be I will get a refund for the XBA3 I bought and paid for... we'll see.

I put the XBA2's through the paces today at work, some 6hrs worth of constant use. Compared to my Soundmagic E10's they do sound different.

Some things to note;

1) The XBA2's i got have a mic/inline control, they supply a small dongle to fit the end of the main male jack so that it works properly in my i9 player, otherwise the sound is stuffed up. I noticed that if you rotate the main jack (male) inside the dongle jack (female) it cuts out at certain points (like as if you werent using the dongle at all), it seems it needs to line up properly to work. I may get rid of the dongle and just use duct tape method to hold the play/pause button permanently down as a fix for this issue.

2) Far superior seperation. It was a joy listening to the same music through new IEMs, I was hearing all sorts of instrument sounds that weren't as pronounced on the E10's (even tho im still using same EQ settings). I could really hear individual instruments playing etc. I never considered 'separation' before when ppl have talked about it, but I understand what people mean by that now.

3) Far better isolation. At work i'm a cleaner, I could sometimes hear the vacuum noise over the E10's even when playing at high volumes, it was nice to get back to hearing very little outside noise. The downside is that they seem to suffer from that 'vacuum' effect in that they take awhile to place inside the ear properly compared to the E10's (again im using the same tips on the XBA2's that were on the E10's).
If you push too far they kinda 'suck' into the ear canal and u can't hear the sound properly (I used to get this from Etymotic Er6's), this doesn't happen at all with the E10's, bit bizarre. Perhaps good isolation means that the IEMs 'suck' into the ear canal more (which is fine but just takes a couple of tries more than the E10's to get a good fit (despite same tips being used).

4) Less hiss in the background, so higher volumes quieter sections of tracks were more pleasurable to listen to.

5) Comes with a cable shortner. Never used one of these before, very handy. Also the volume +/- works even with the dongle converter, so that's a nice added bonus.

All in all I'm pleased. I'm excited now about the prospects of the XBA3's arriving (fingers crossed).

Old 07-08-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
If I could get the XBA-2 for $36.20 US(the equivalent of $40 Australian) I would probably buy 3 of them. Why don't we in the US get deals like this? On the US Sony website, the XBA-2 is listed at $200! It is $79 on Amazon. At $79 I am not enticed to buy.
I paid 50 for mine in April which is twice the $40 AUD BruceBanner recently paid, but the XBA-2 are easily worth 50 for their great sound and construction.

They aren't made anymore..if you can't get such a good deal then $79 US is still worth it.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh this is a EOFY and End of Line sale.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
I paid 50 for mine in April which is twice the $40 AUD BruceBanner recently paid, but the XBA-2 are easily worth 50 for their great sound and construction.

They aren't made anymore..if you can't get such a good deal then $79 US is still worth it.
That is your opinion. I can't see spending over $50 for it. While they aren't being made anymore, I don't feel such a great urge to buy one. The original XBA earphones don't seem to have the shape I prefer. The XBA-C10 looks like it has a more ergonomic shape. While it has only one driver, it might be $30-35 when it gets to the US.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
That is your opinion. I can't see spending over $50 for it. While they aren't being made anymore, I don't feel such a great urge to buy one. The original XBA earphones don't seem to have the shape I prefer. The XBA-C10 looks like it has a more ergonomic shape. While it has only one driver, it might be $30-35 when it gets to the US.
If you're forever waiting for things to be cheap enough for you to buy, you'll never buy anything.

Does this kind of 'thrift' have any point?

Old 07-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This was an 85% off, incredible deal.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
If you're forever waiting for things to be cheap enough for you to buy, you'll never buy anything.

Does this kind of 'thrift' have any point?
Even with my bargain hunting and only buying electronics when it is a bargain, I still seem to buy more than I need. I have over a dozen IEMs accumulated over a few years, although they were all $25 or less except three which were under $50. With IEMs it isn't just about sound quality, but also fit and comfort. Some of the IEMs I have are quite satisfying though. Some I can't use since they are very uncomfortable. Adding one more IEM to my collection is not a priority, hence I have a good excuse to be very frugal. If it is enough of a bargain though, I might buy. The XBA-2 at $36 is a very nice bargain!

Old 07-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

XBA3's at $50AUD even more so!

Old 07-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

XBA3's arrived Thursday, holy moly these things sound FANTASTIC! I actually notice a significant difference between them and the XBA2's (not that the XBA2's are shabby at all).
In addition to that I managed to grab one more pair of XBA2's (for $40), so all in all I have 1 XBA3 and 2 XBA2VP's. Total spent $130AUD, RRP is $850AUD ($350, $250x2, and that does seem to be the going price on some online stores here in oz).

I prefer the XBA3's also as they don't have the line in so less cord mess when connecting to the cowon i9+

Well chuffed

(sorry if this sounds like bragging, its just prolly the best steal I ever achieved

EDIT: Oh, can someone please tell me, why would one channel wire (the R ear) be longer cable than the left (where it forks in two)? The XBA2's have even length for R & L but the XBA3's have about twice as long length from the place it forks in two against the length of the Left ear channel has... why?