android
  #1  
Old 06-24-2013, 01:58 PM
coolforyou coolforyou is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 18
Default Ipod touch 16GB or Sandisk sansa clip+

hi guys,

My friend is selling his ipod touch 16 gb for 50 $ , but at the same time i found Sandisk sansa clip+ is best for playing music with high quality in cheap price. But i don't know whether Sandisk sansa clip+ is better than ipod in giving detailed amplified quality music .

have any one tried comparing both these device ? if so which one you will choose for listening music in quality wise , because i am gone buy either one of these

please help me to choose whether ipod or Sandisk sansa clip+ in music quality wise.


And i have doubt whether in Sandisk sansa clip+ we can soon navigate the song which we like instead of playing all the songs , i mean like in ipod we can choose song easily.....

thanks in advance for making me choose the best ...
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 06-24-2013, 03:25 PM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolforyou View Post
hi guys,

My friend is selling his ipod touch 16 gb for 50 $ , but at the same time i found Sandisk sansa clip+ is best for playing music with high quality in cheap price. But i don't know whether Sandisk sansa clip+ is better than ipod in giving detailed amplified quality music .
They're both essentially transparent for any typical high quality pair of headphones.

Get whichever device you like more.
__________________
Interested in Google's Summer of Code ? PM me.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 06-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,444
Default

A few things to keep in mind: the Touch has a world of apps that you can play with (as well as other uses--a computer on-the-go), the Clip none (it's a music/FM radio and spoken word player and nothing more); the Clip had tactile buttons (and so you don't have to look at the player to use it--good for on-the-go/exercise use), the Touch relies on the screen; the Clip can use microSD cards to expand its capacity significantly, the Touch, no. Oh, and no special software needed to connect to the Clip--you simply can drag-and-drop files on and off of it.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 06-24-2013, 04:49 PM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,986
Default

A used Touch might not give that much battery life. It depends how old it is, and how much it was used. The memory on the Touch is not expandable, so if it is an 16GB Touch that is all you get. The Clip+ and Clip Zip have a card slot.

The Clip+ and Clip Zip get around 12-14 hours of battery life for mp3 files, a bit more if you use Rockbox. Rockbox is a free alternative operating system for the player(Rockbox.org). It gives the uses much more customizability and many more functions and settings than the original firmware. If you plan to use Rockbox then get the Clip Zip rather than the Clip+ as the Clip Zip has a larger screen even though the Clip+ and Clip Zip are both around the same size. The original firmware on the Clip Zip really sucks though, so if you plan to use the original firmware then get the Clip+. I have both the Clip+ and Clip Zip and Rockboxed both. The only reason not to Rockbox a Clip+ or Clip Zip is if you must play protected files. Rockbox doesn't support protected files. While Rockbox is a dual boot operating system(you can boot to the original firmware or to Rockbox after Rockbox is installed) installing Rockbox might make the original firmware unable to play some protected files.

Last edited by JK98; 06-24-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,037
Default

For $50 you'd have to be a fool to let the touch go. And you could always buy a battery charger case for it if your worried thee battery is getting old.

SQ wise the touch is equal to the Sansa players, and there's more than a few apps to make it equal to a Cowon. It's a WinWin if you buy the touch off of your friend,...he's giving you a great hookup!!!
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 06-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

If it is the most recent 16GB Touch, the 4th generation, then that is a great deal. If it is one of the older models, it's still a good deal, considering all you can do with it beyond just music.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
For $50 you'd have to be a fool to let the touch go. And you could always buy a battery charger case for it if your worried thee battery is getting old.
Although a good deal, I think it still depends on the intended use. IMHO, nothing beats the Clip for grabbing and running for a hike or exercising; and if you want to be carrying alot of music, likewise (I currently have around 38GB on one of my Clips).
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 06-24-2013, 07:53 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,037
Default

$50 for an iPod touch beats a clip+/clipzip for sheer functionally & usability any day. Get an armband case and it'll even be able to track your workout stats or TRAIN YOU. No Sansa can do that,...the clips aren't worth it if you can get both for around $50. The Sansa's lose here,...no matter what anyone's opinion is. Capacity isn't everything.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
$50 for an iPod touch beats a clip+/clipzip for sheer functionally & usability any day. Get an armband case and it'll even be able to track your workout stats or TRAIN YOU. No Sansa can do that,...the clips aren't worth it if you can get both for around $50. The Sansa's lose here,...no matter what anyone's opinion is. Capacity isn't everything.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:36 AM
Jeven Jeven is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Posts: 525
Default

If you go with a Touch, a lot of iems these days will have an 'I' version with buttons which will let you control the player whilst it's in your pocket.
__________________
sent from my Clip+ via BBM
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:48 AM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,986
Default

Some complain that the ipod Touch is too heavy though, and love the small size and light weight of the Clip+ and Clip Zip. The ipod Touch is over 3 ounces, while the Clip+ and Clip Zip are around 0.85 of an ounce.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 06-25-2013, 07:10 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,037
Default

Sorry JK98, the size/weight argument doesn't work here either. The touch wins here. For $50 a person would be a fool to go with a Sansa.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 AM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Sorry JK98, the size/weight argument doesn't work here either. The touch wins here. For $50 a person would be a fool to go with a Sansa.
First of all, the 4GB Clip+ is $31 on Amazon. The Touch doesn't have a built in clip, and a case with a clip is an extra expense. Many people want more than 16GB of storage. At least it isn't an 8GB Touch.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Some complain that the ipod Touch is too heavy though, and love the small size and light weight of the Clip+ and Clip Zip. The ipod Touch is over 3 ounces, while the Clip+ and Clip Zip are around 0.85 of an ounce.
Like 3 ounces is sooo heavy.....
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 AM
dawningistheday's Avatar
dawningistheday dawningistheday is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 276
Default

I love my clip+ for jogging (when I'm not being a lazy @$$), but honestly if anything it seems a little too light and small. I think something around the size of the ipod nano 3rd gen is probably the ideal size/weight for me.
__________________
Cowon J3 32GB + 64GB; Sansa Clip+ 4GB + 64GB; iPhone 5 64GB; Beyerdynamic DT-880; Phonak Audéo PFE 232; SoundMAGIC PL30
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Tapeworm's Avatar
Tapeworm Tapeworm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California, the Granola State
Posts: 481
Default

Guys, there are valid and real arguments for owning both. How many of us only have 1 portable music device?

80 bucks for both an iPod Touch and a Clip+?

Major




Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 AM
coolforyou coolforyou is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 18
Default

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
A few things to keep in mind: the Touch has a world of apps that you can play with (as well as other uses--a computer on-the-go), the Clip none (it's a music/FM radio and spoken word player and nothing more); the Clip had tactile buttons (and so you don't have to look at the player to use it--good for on-the-go/exercise use), the Touch relies on the screen; the Clip can use microSD cards to expand its capacity significantly, the Touch, no. Oh, and no special software needed to connect to the Clip--you simply can drag-and-drop files on and off of it.
@Mikeman , I am not interested not on app cos this is for my office use. I will buy ipad mini or tablet for apps , i want a compact but high quality music player. Thank you


Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
A used Touch might not give that much battery life. It depends how old it is, and how much it was used. The memory on the Touch is not expandable, so if it is an 16GB Touch that is all you get. The Clip+ and Clip Zip have a card slot.

The Clip+ and Clip Zip get around 12-14 hours of battery life for mp3 files, a bit more if you use Rockbox. Rockbox is a free alternative operating system for the player(Rockbox.org). It gives the uses much more customizability and many more functions and settings than the original firmware. If you plan to use Rockbox then get the Clip Zip rather than the Clip+ as the Clip Zip has a larger screen even though the Clip+ and Clip Zip are both around the same size. The original firmware on the Clip Zip really sucks though, so if you plan to use the original firmware then get the Clip+. I have both the Clip+ and Clip Zip and Rockboxed both. The only reason not to Rockbox a Clip+ or Clip Zip is if you must play protected files. Rockbox doesn't support protected files. While Rockbox is a dual boot operating system(you can boot to the original firmware or to Rockbox after Rockbox is installed) installing Rockbox might make the original firmware unable to play some protected files.

@JK98 , What is the advantage of Rockbox firmware ? do it enhance the music sound quality ? by giving us equalizer ?

which one is best in sound quality wise Clip+ or Clip zip after applying Rockbox firmware ? and what is that protected file thing ? i could n't understand it


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
If it is the most recent 16GB Touch, the 4th generation, then that is a great deal. If it is one of the older models, it's still a good deal, considering all you can do with it beyond just music.

@Marvin the Martian , it is not new one it is quite older


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Although a good deal, I think it still depends on the intended use. IMHO, nothing beats the Clip for grabbing and running for a hike or exercising; and if you want to be carrying alot of music, likewise (I currently have around 38GB on one of my Clips).
@Mikerman , is it possible to upgrade clip zip to 32 gb ? using microSD card ? cos @JK98 has advised me to go with clip zip with rockbox firmware


Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningistheday View Post
I love my clip+ for jogging (when I'm not being a lazy @$$), but honestly if anything it seems a little too light and small. I think something around the size of the ipod nano 3rd gen is probably the ideal size/weight for me.

@dawningistheday , have you applied rockbox firmware on clip+ ? are you getting any problem in playing protected(though i don't know what protected file is ) file
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 06-25-2013, 05:13 PM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,986
Default

Rockbox gives a much better equalizer than the original firmware. Rockbox supports many different music formats. It will let you choose how the screen display looks with around 50 or so choices called themes. Rockbox give features like crossfeed and crossfade. Protected files are exactly that. They need to be transferred to the player in MTP mode using a media player like Windows Media Player. Playing protected music gives much less battery life. Some WMA and AAC files are protected. The MP3 file specification doesn't allow for protection. Protected files might be audiobooks downloaded from an online library or for example music from an unlimited music subscription like Rhapsody. Go to the Rockbox website(Rockbox.org) and download the Clip+ or Clip Zip Rockbox manual. Read through it and you will see what Rockbox provides.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 06-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolforyou View Post
@Marvin the Martian , it is not new one it is quite older
In that case, the Clip Zip would be the better buy.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 06-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Tapeworm's Avatar
Tapeworm Tapeworm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California, the Granola State
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolforyou View Post
(though i don't know what protected file is )
"Protected" = DRM-encrypted
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.