android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 06-13-2013, 05:52 PM

Default Rhapsody with Clip Zip - How does it work? Additional charge to download songs?, etc.

I just got a Zip. Love the sound quality, have not installed Rhapsody. Can someone please explain what the deal is with Rhapsody and the Zip - exactly how does it work? Do I need to install something on the player as well as the computer? Would it work with Rockbox? Do I need to have the player in MTP? I am using MSC now since I always have just used Folders.

The manual says "You can download anything in the catalog to your new MP3 player, as long as you remain a member." Does this mean with paid membership you can download unlimited songs for NO additional charge and put them on the Zip, or do you have to buy the songs individually in addition to the monthly fee? (If that is the case I don't see why it is a big deal since you can do that with any player, right?)

Appreciate any help!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just responded to your Head-Fi post on the same topic, but might as well chime in here too. My post over there:
Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless (on Head-Fi)
If you're a paying member of Rhapsody, then yes, you can copy unlimited songs from Rhapsody over to your Clip. The files are DRM-protected with built-in expirations and require the player to be connected to the Rhapsody service periodically (monthly?) in order to validate that you're still a member and then extend the expiration date.
As for Rhapsody itself, I believe you only need the program installed on your computer, and then you use that program to add Rhapsody songs to the Clip. It will only work with the original SanDisk firmware, not in Rockbox (which is ethically and functionally opposed to DRM of all kinds). I don't know if MTP mode is mandatory for Rhapsody use, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
It will only work with the original SanDisk firmware, not in Rockbox (which is ethically and functionally opposed to DRM of all kinds). I don't know if MTP mode is mandatory for Rhapsody use, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.
MTP mode is required to transfer the licensing and expiration codes (DRM crap) to the player so no, it will not work with Rockbox, which is MSC only. If tman intends to use both Rhapsody (in OF) and Rockbox, he'll have to manually switch the USB mode before he can boot into one after the other. Kind of a PITA if you ask me.

I'm not a Rhapsody user, but I'm also thinking switching back and forth from MTP to MSC frequently could/might cause problems with Rhapsody and the playing of that content. I could be wrong though, it might work just fine, but it's something to consider or remember if you do try it and have problems.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

And, of course, with Rhapsody, you lose the ability to listen to all the Rhapsody songs you've downloaded if you let your Rhapsody subscription expire. And so the cost benefit analysis is, do you spend less if you just go out and buy the songs/albums you want, rather than paying the monthly Rhapsody fee. I think, for some people (and this may be an age thing), there is some comfort in actually being able to hold a CD of the music you're purchased, rather than knowing that unless you may a monthly fee, the music will poof and disappear . . . .

Old 06-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It sounds that you only rent the music if you use Rhapsody

Old 06-14-2013, 01:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
It sounds that you only rent the music if you use Rhapsody
Yup, which is the case with every all-you-can-eat subscription music service.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 PM

It's a pay-to-play service. As long as you pay, the music will play.

Not my cup o' Earl Grey, but many like it if for no other reason than they have access to many new artists, etc. they wouldn't ordinarily be exposed to or know about.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
It's a pay-to-play service. As long as you pay, the music will play.

Not my cup o' Earl Grey, but many like it if for no other reason than they have access to many new artists, etc. they wouldn't ordinarily be exposed to or know about.
Thanks for all the replies, and yeah this is it. I still buy CDs, but I like checking out new-to-me music (then buy the stuff that grabs me). I've "stolen" enough stuff off the web for this purpose, think I might have to go legit and give Rhapsody a shot and stick with the original firmware, for now at least. Hopefully I can just switch back and forth between MTP and MSC for transferring Rhapsody stuff and my normal music folders to the player and it won't cause a problem.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman View Post
Hopefully I can just switch back and forth between MTP and MSC for transferring Rhapsody stuff and my normal music folders to the player and it won't cause a problem.
Loading content via both MTP and MSC is going to be very confusing, as your computer can oly 'see' the content that was transferred while in that same mode. Unless of course that is how you plan on keeping your Rhapsody and CD-rips separate.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It sounds like it might be easier just to get a second player, and keep one in MTP on the original firmware, and have the other in MSC and Rockbox. The Clip Zip imo is very annoying in the original firmware, so if I had to use the original firmware I would choose a Clip+ instead.

Also Rhapsody material might not work from card memory, so if you get a second player for Rhapsody use, you might want to get an 8GB one.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
It sounds like it might be easier just to get a second player, and keep one in MTP on the original firmware, and have the other in MSC and Rockbox.
Not a bad idea, given the low price of these things.

Quote:
The Clip Zip imo is very annoying in the original firmware . . .
And yet, you used yours happily(?) for years before trying Rockbox.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies, and yeah this is it. I still buy CDs, but I like checking out new-to-me music (then buy the stuff that grabs me). I've "stolen" enough stuff off the web for this purpose, think I might have to go legit and give Rhapsody a shot and stick with the original firmware, for now at least. Hopefully I can just switch back and forth between MTP and MSC for transferring Rhapsody stuff and my normal music folders to the player and it won't cause a problem.

If you are looking for new music use Pandora or SoundCloud or something like that they are free and you can make channel.

Another place is Amazon, they have free samplers for downloading and you could probably find something there you like

Old 06-24-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
It sounds like it might be easier just to get a second player, and keep one in MTP on the original firmware, and have the other in MSC and Rockbox. The Clip Zip imo is very annoying in the original firmware, so if I had to use the original firmware I would choose a Clip+ instead.

Also Rhapsody material might not work from card memory, so if you get a second player for Rhapsody use, you might want to get an 8GB one.
I am not going to carry around two players, but can anyone confirm whether the songs from Rhapsody can be transferred to the micro SD card? This would be a factor for me.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I am not going to carry around two players, but can anyone confirm whether the songs from Rhapsody can be transferred to the micro SD card? This would be a factor for me.
Why don't you try it? Then you would know for sure. I don't think very many people here use Rhapsody.

Steve

Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Why don't you try it? Then you would know for sure. I don't think very many people here use Rhapsody.

Steve
You can't try it unless you've signed up for it, the reason I think the question was posted . . . .

Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
You can't try it unless you've signed up for it, the reason I think the question was posted . . . .
Original post says "haven't installed" not "haven't signed up". I guess I thought tman already belonged to Rhapsody.

BTW, there is a 14-day free trial. Perfect for answering these questions.

Steve

Old 06-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
Not a bad idea, given the low price of these things.

And yet, you used yours happily(?) for years before trying Rockbox.
I used the Clip+ for years without Rockbox. I couldn't stand the original firmware on the Clip Zip, and used the Clip Zip with the original firmware for less than a week!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Protected files on card memory might not play, or else they might work but also give you issues. The best idea is to put unprotected music on card memory, and keep protected music in main memory.

Even unprotected music on card memory gave me issues when it was transferred in MTP mode. Card memory works great though for unprotected files transferred in MSC mode.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:29 PM

Although I haven't personally ever used Rhapsody, I've read enough posts on this subject on varous forums over the years to suggest that newer players do allow Rhapsody content to be loaded on an SD card and play without issue.

This wasn't the case in older players. Now transferring Rhapsody content to an SD card can be done if the card is inserted in an "authorized" device, However, I believe the content is only playable while in said device. You can't pull the card out and put it in another player and expect it to play.

You could also visit the Rhapsody forum to confirm this and any other questions you may have on the subject.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Original post says "haven't installed" not "haven't signed up". I guess I thought tman already belonged to Rhapsody.

BTW, there is a 14-day free trial. Perfect for answering these questions.

Steve
Yep. Altho some people don't want to potentially crud up their device with software they may not want to keep around, especially if it's a basic question that someone with experience with the software can answer.