android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 06-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD2.../dp/B000TDZOXG are excellent sounding headphones,...I own them & won't resell or trade 'em like I do my other sets.
The title of the thread though says under $40. I doubt he would find an HD25-1-II for under $40.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You also might want to check the Classifieds listings here--there is a post today selling the Klipsch Image S4 headphones (used) for $20. A killer deal, if they could be shipped to you . . . .

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72403

Old 06-20-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep mode zZ View Post
Over ear headphones usually means headphones where the pad is not sitting on the ear but is bigger than the ear and makes contact around the ear. They are also called circumaural or around the ear headphones. The Sony MDR-570LP is not of that type. They are on-ear headphones - the pad is sitting on the ear.

I have not heard the MDR-570LP but a Finnish magazine chose it to be the best among several contestants (in 2010). Reviews on the internet seems to be quite positive.
I have now gotten a bit of first hand experience with these. Seems to be of good build quality. The earpads are very comfortable. The headband could be uncomfortable because it's not really padded at all. This is my only closed on-ear headphone so I really can't make comparisons but isolation of background noise is better than what I expected it to be. It's better than on my closed circumaural phones (Creative Aruvana Live, Superlux HD-660 and Koss PRODJ100).

Sound:
Vocals are nice, some electric guitar and synths sounds really good. Hi-hats, shakers and other noise in the very high end of the sound spectrum do sound a bit subdued (compared to the Aurvana Live) but vocals do not sound muffled. There is bass, even down to 30Hz but of course with a quite steep slope down from about 90Hz. It is a bit subdued to my taste. As I said above, I don't have any closed on-ear headphones to compare them to but currently I prefer my open on-ear phones to these (AKG K420 clearly and Sennheiser PX 100 by a smaller margin.) Bass lines are important for my musical enjoyment and with the MDR-570LPs they are left in the background.