android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutipad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 06-07-2013, 09:26 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

Thanks for the good info Lagoo56!!!
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #42  
Old 06-07-2013, 09:49 AM
humersimpson humersimpson is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Is that actually correct? I was pretty sure Google would refuse to include the Android market on any device that didn't have GPS, since it would confuse apps that use the GPS hardware.
I can't say what Google requires, I am only going by what Asus's own website shows in the specs. Also, the Nook recently became a "full" Google device (at least to the extent that they are now natively supporting Google Play, no need for side loading) and they don't have GPS. I find it ironic, the 10" Memo tab is not much more $ than the 7" one if I remember and it is supposed to come with the GPS capability (again, Asus's website). But then, perhaps Asus's website is incorrect, I don't know (have not checked it since posting my original reply, so if it is different now, someone please correct me).

If anyone gets one of these new Memopad's that Asus is offering, can that person confirm the GPS/non-GPS of either size?

The GPS is not entirely a deal killer, for me, it's a nice to have. What is a necessity is a micro/mini/full size SD card slot for expandability. Its just frustrating to not have the "full package" so to speak (i.e. Micro SD and GPS and native Google Android, although I would also welcome a sub $200, 7" Windows 8 tablet with the ***SD slot and GPS).
Reply With Quote

  #43  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:18 AM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I'll explain it this way,...the average user does look at it all and get totally confused, but they do the same thing navigating standard internal memory.
The vast majority of users have devices that do not allow access to the internal file system. Its only a tiny fraction that do. Android, iOS, iPods, none of these have any concept of a file system. Even devices that do like some newer Sandisk players push users towards a database and/or MTP that abstracts it away.

You're basically saying that if you ignore 95% of the market, everyone works the way you do. Thats true, but that doesn't change the fact that almost everyone doesn't do what you do.
__________________
Interested in Google's Summer of Code ? PM me.
Reply With Quote

  #44  
Old 06-07-2013, 02:19 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
The vast majority of users have devices that do not allow access to the internal file system. Its only a tiny fraction that do. Android, iOS, iPods, none of these have any concept of a file system. Even devices that do like some newer Sandisk players push users towards a database and/or MTP that abstracts it away.

You're basically saying that if you ignore 95% of the market, everyone works the way you do. Thats true, but that doesn't change the fact that almost everyone doesn't do what you do.
Great to hear that!!! Now, since all of us here are on the same page, who really cares? It's about what you want, I want, and someone else wants. Do you think ALL choice should be removed,...because that's where your headed. I want a micro sd card slot OR preferably 64gb internal. I feel Google is stupid to force people to use the "cloud". I think, after explaining, that I've had the experience of having the average user understand what to do with int/ext memory. I think your 95% ignore rate on my part is just smashingly fantastic. And I think I'll ignore you're continued debates from now on, as some have suggested. Because I have my "opinion" and you'll state you have your "facts",...and I doubt I'm really going to be "educated". I'm entitled to my opinion,...same as everyone here. And my experiences with the people I know and the "cloud" border on the hilarious.

Have a great day & enjoy your weekend.
Reply With Quote

  #45  
Old 06-07-2013, 02:57 PM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Great to hear that!!! Now, since all of us here are on the same page, who really cares?
You apparently, since you brought it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I feel Google is stupid to force people to use the "cloud".
Actually, what you said was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
So I guess it's much easier to understand that all your stuff, to the neophyte, is in the "cloud"? Lol!!! Stupidity at it's most finest
That is, that its stupid to think that expandable storage is harder then some kind of abstracted cloud-based system. This is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I think, after explaining, that I've had the experience of having the average user understand what to do with int/ext memory.
The average user doesn't even have that experience, so this is nonsense. Just by saying that you found someone who has experienced the underlying file system on a phone you're so far beyond average you've already lost this argument. What you've actually explained is what you, as a technical user, have experienced. And thats fine. But don't pretend you're representative. Don't pretend that because you care enough to learn about something that everyone else does.

Theres a reason of the major mobile phone operating systems, exactly zero expose the underlying file system to the user. Its complex. Instead they abstract it away. Its great that you can understand mount points and don't mind browsing the unix file system to move stuff between partitions, but 95% of people out there aren't comfortable with that because its complex and counterintuitive. Instead, they want something like iTunes that just shows them their music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Because I have my "opinion" and you'll state you have your "facts",...and I doubt I'm really going to be "educated". I'm entitled to my opinion,...same as everyone here. And my experiences with the people I know and the "cloud" border on the hilarious.
You're entitled to your opinion, but when its wrong, expect to hear about it. Or if your opinion is so delicate that it cannot withstand facts, perhaps you should avoid sharing it in the first place.
__________________
Interested in Google's Summer of Code ? PM me.
Reply With Quote

  #46  
Old 06-07-2013, 03:03 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

I hear the patter of the rain,...and an opinion can't be wrong because it belongs to me. You should know this by now,...

Last edited by The DarkSide; 06-07-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #47  
Old 06-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #48  
Old 06-07-2013, 03:14 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default


PS: I might have a SGS3 in my hands tonight, for FREE!!! Wow,...I get to play with a new toy. Don't tell anyone,...

PPS: Ugh,...never mind. This thing gots a cracked screen,...I'll pass. My OCD powers won't let me see past that little jagged line in the Gorilla Glass. Oh well,...

Last edited by The DarkSide; 06-07-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #49  
Old 06-08-2013, 01:56 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post

PS: I might have a SGS3 in my hands tonight, for FREE!!! Wow,...I get to play with a new toy. Don't tell anyone,...

PPS: Ugh,...never mind. This thing gots a cracked screen,...I'll pass. My OCD powers won't let me see past that little jagged line in the Gorilla Glass. Oh well,...
What did they do to crack Gorilla Glass? Too bad, that would have been a sweet score.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #50  
Old 06-08-2013, 02:02 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
What did they do to crack Gorilla Glass? Too bad, that would have been a sweet score.
It was dropped directly on the right side upper corner,...precisely the right angle to crack the screen. These phones are notorious for this when the angle is just right,...

Besides, me sis-in-law now decided she wants to use it. More power to her,...she needs the experience.

AAAANNNDDD,....my SG Tab 2 7.0 is on da way,...and Tuesday is the expected delivery date. I bet I'd still be waiting for the damn Playbook to even be shipped!!!
Reply With Quote

  #51  
Old 06-08-2013, 02:05 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
It was dropped directly on the right side upper corner,...precisely the right angle to crack the screen. These phones are notorious for this when the angle is just right,...
Sounds like somebody didn't have a case on their phone....tsk tsk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Besides, me sis-in-law now decided she wants to use it. More power to her,...she needs the experience.
Well, good for her. best way to learn the ecosystem is the free way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
AAAANNNDDD,....my SG Tab 2 7.0 is on da way,...and Tuesday is the expected delivery date. I bet I'd still be waiting for the damn Playbook to even be shipped!!!
Looking forward to your thoughts on it when it arrives!
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #52  
Old 06-08-2013, 02:15 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Sounds like somebody didn't have a case on their phone....tsk tsk!


Well, good for her. best way to learn the ecosystem is the free way.



Looking forward to your thoughts on it when it arrives!
Actually the phone is in a case,...but the woman-friendly leather flip case that doesn't provide adequate protection. Women don't always get it,...

And it's about time she learn,...I tried to get her to mess with the Atrix 4G, but the shoddy battery life made her say no.

And lastly, I'll definitely let you know what I think. I'm hoping for an almost stock experience. But, since I played with he SGS 3 tonight, I'll say it seemed pretty solid. Like I said about the Atrix 4G not too long ago, Android has come a long way. I like where it is now,...I'm expecting to have some fun!!!
Reply With Quote

  #53  
Old 06-08-2013, 02:19 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Actually the phone is in a case,...but the woman-friendly leather flip case that doesn't provide adequate protection. Women don't always get it,...

And it's about time she learn,...I tried to get her to mess with the Atrix 4G, but the shoddy battery life made her say no.

And lastly, I'll definitely let you know what I think. I'm hoping for an almost stock experience. But, since I played with he SGS 3 tonight, I'll say it seemed pretty solid. Like I said about the Atrix 4G not too long ago, Android has come a long way. I like where it is now,...I'm expecting to have some fun!!!
I didn't think the Atrix battery life was that bad.....must be the 3G that you're using that I didn't have really sucks the juice.....
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #54  
Old 06-08-2013, 02:26 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

I'm used to much better battery life now, with the Lumia 920. Even the SGS 3 has way better battery life. Besides, it's an older battery, and is probably ending it's life cycle. Charging it 2-3 times a day takes a toll,...
Reply With Quote

  #55  
Old 06-08-2013, 02:28 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I'm used to much better battery life now, with the Lumia 920. Even the SGS 3 has way better battery life. Besides, it's an older battery, and is probably ending it's life cycle. Charging it 2-3 times a day takes a toll,...
Yikes....I was only charging it once a day.

I'm torn. I really do miss having a smartphone, but I love how cheap my TracFone is and I'm usually near Wifi. So I am thinking sometime this year, about trying to get another Touch. The Wifi reception is light-years better than the SGP on a Touch, and I don't need all the output power of the X3. Decisions, decisions....
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #56  
Old 06-08-2013, 02:31 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Yikes....I was only charging it once a day...
I guess I'm more of a power user,...
Reply With Quote

  #57  
Old 06-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Lagoo56's Avatar
Lagoo56 Lagoo56 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SI,NY
Posts: 737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Thanks for the good info Lagoo56!!!
You're welcome. Make sure to root the tab when you get it and try the Sungsonic HD rom,its one of the best roms to use with TONS of features included. The stock Touchwiz launcher it uses is very fast already,but the rom makes it even faster.

All the steps to flashing it are straight forward. Clear everything then flash and its done.

This is the thread for the ROM I'm using:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2081801
__________________
DAPs I own: Rockboxed Sansa C250 2GB+64GB MicroSDXC
Tablets I own:Rooted 8GB Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running Sungsonic 2 HD JB 4.1.2
Rooted 80GB Asus Memopad HD 7
Reply With Quote

  #58  
Old 06-08-2013, 12:42 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

I'll be on it when it arrives,... Again, thanks!!!
Reply With Quote

  #59  
Old 06-08-2013, 03:38 PM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I hear the patter of the rain,...and an opinion can't be wrong because it belongs to me.
This is not something people generally believe by the time they're in middle school. Opinions are often wrong.

More generally, if you ever find yourself saying that you can't be wrong because you say so, its a good sign that you are in fact wrong.
__________________
Interested in Google's Summer of Code ? PM me.
Reply With Quote

  #60  
Old 06-08-2013, 05:21 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
This is not something people generally believe by the time they're in middle school. Opinions are often wrong.

More generally, if you ever find yourself saying that you can't be wrong because you say so, its a good sign that you are in fact wrong.
And you, like a child, will continue to whine on and on. And you will also never admit to any wrongdoing. Lol!!! You a funny dude,...now stop wasting my time. Especially since your one of the reasons members don't like to come back. This site is being killed by fascist attitudes,...and you seem to be a prime example. Too bad no other member will say it, out of fear of banishment. Me, I say what I see,...

Now, call me out on that,...or is my "opinion" something you'll state is wrong again.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
8-inch, android, budget, cheap, films, movies, tablet

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.