android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutipad

Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
But why would anyone want to put music on a tablet when there are small DAPs which do a better job?

And why store more than 1 or 2 movies locally? Wouldn't you just delete after viewing?

16Gb was more than enough when I had the Nexus 7, I could have managed with far less and I suspect I am the typical consumer.

On the subject of tablets, I wouldn't get another 7 or 8" one unless it was 1920 x 1080 at the very least.
Suppose you're going away on vacation, and you won't have access to your computer for a while. That's one reason why people load up their tablets with music, movies, etc. For general media consumption, tablets are excellent.

Personally I think the lower internal storage is an attempt to push consumers towards cloud storage, but then again you might not have the fastest connection, or as Marvin said, data plans might be expensive.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
16Gb was more than enough when I had the Nexus 7, I could have managed with far less and I suspect I am the typical consumer.
Don't forget some people like storing pictures on their tablet. I like my 7" tablet as a convenient tool to show folks some of the pictures that I've taken. Much better than digital photo frames (at least the couple that I've tried), and more convenient than my laptop.

Steve

Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM

Yes, that's both true about going on vacation and using a tablet for stored pictures.

Digital photo frames seem to be dead these days.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I personally just stream everything onto my tablet, my tablet itself is actually a travel photo storage locker. In that sense YES I love a microSD card slot but otherwise, even when traveling I don't really feel the need to fill a tablet with all too much stuff, a few movies, maybe a half a dozen TV episodes but that fits even on 8gb of storage.

Anyway, the 100$ tablet has the micro SD card slot, and it's screen isn't that much worse then the Galaxy Tab 2's so my argument was more to the tune of I see no value in buying a Galaxy Tab 2 over the Acer tablet, unless you're picky about screens, but at double the price I think its a really steep price for a slightly better screen, and if you're really into screens I'd skip it and pay a little more for a better resolution screen.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
So I guess it's much easier to understand that all your stuff, to the neophyte, is in the "cloud"?
Compared to how SD works in Android? Absolutely. Anything is easier to understand than that.

Quote:
Lol!!! Stupidity at it's most finest,...
I suspect you're not too familiar with the problem. Theres nothing stupid about that. Its actually really complex.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humersimpson View Post
Nathan,

I checked the specs on the Asus Website, there is a 10" and a 7" version of the memopad, BUT the 7" does not have GPS, the 10" version does, at least according to the specs on their own website.
Is that actually correct? I was pretty sure Google would refuse to include the Android market on any device that didn't have GPS, since it would confuse apps that use the GPS hardware.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Compared to how SD works in Android? Absolutely. Anything is easier to understand than that.

I suspect you're not too familiar with the problem. Theres nothing stupid about that. Its actually really complex.
Yeah, as usual, your lovely comments that explained nothing. I understand the issues, and the "cloud" is more "foreign" than any sd card could be to nOObs right now. But, you being a techie, you have your hands on the heartbeat of the uninitiated. I deal with people's questions about this stuff all the time,...the cloud is what they REALLY don't understand.

And, there's Android phones all around me, including the SGS 3 & 4 and HTC One,...plus my Motorola Atrix 4G. Sounds like you don't know what I'M talking about,...I'm QUITE familiar with the problem. A "file browser" app and some assistance works wonders,...and I'm talking about this from the nOOb side.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I deal with people's questions about this stuff all the time,...the cloud is what they REALLY don't understand.
Given that we both post on the exact same forum with comparable frequency, I would say we actually both deal with a comparable amount of this stuff. Actually, given the enormous number of threads on these forums from users asking how to get SD cards working with MP3 players, I'm kind of surprised you would argue that they're easy for users. If anything, they seem consistently to be one of the main sources of frustration for non-technical users.

Quote:
And, there's Android phones all around me, including the SGS 3 & 4 and HTC One,...plus my Motorola Atrix 4G. Sounds like you don't know what I'M talking about,...I'm QUITE familiar with the problem. A "file browser" app and some assistance works wonders,...and I'm talking about this from the nOOb side.
Your theory is that I'm looking at this as a technical user ... because I do not think downloading a file browser app and manually navigating the linux file system is easy. Thats pretty impressive.

Fact is as soon as you mention browsing mount points in linux on a touchscreen you've lost the argument because the user already gave up. Thats far beyond the abilities of the vast majority of users.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well as long as I have a say in the matter I'll keep buying devices with SD card storage. I like the cloud, but I also understand that it's not always accessible yet, nor is it always reasonable to use.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:08 AM

One thing I do appreciate about my Sony Z is the inability to install apps to the SD card - that used to confuse the hell out of me - and led to a lot of broken apps if I wanted to take out the card for some reason (this was pre JB).

And even with apps2SD half the time it didn't work - the app might be OK but the widget wouldn't show up. I can understand if you only have 1gb or so of internal space, but really - getting rid of that functionality was one of Google's best decisions.

For the average user, one memory plus the cloud is the way to go.

Last edited by Jeven; 06-06-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
For the average user, one memory plus the cloud is the way to go.
For us financially challenged retired types, the Cloud seems like a too expensive way to go. My tablet is WiFi only, so that means I have to near a usable WiFi to use the Cloud anyway. (I wouldn't be paying for a data plan for it even if I could.)

If you can afford the Cloud...good for you. But I'll stick to the microSD card thankd. (BTW, I don't watch movies anyway.)

Steve

Old 06-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Given that we both post on the exact same forum with comparable frequency, I would say we actually both deal with a comparable amount of this stuff. Actually, given the enormous number of threads on these forums from users asking how to get SD cards working with MP3 players, I'm kind of surprised you would argue that they're easy for users. If anything, they seem consistently to be one of the main sources of frustration for non-technical users.

Your theory is that I'm looking at this as a technical user ... because I do not think downloading a file browser app and manually navigating the linux file system is easy. Thats pretty impressive.

Fact is as soon as you mention browsing mount points in linux on a touchscreen you've lost the argument because the user already gave up. Thats far beyond the abilities of the vast majority of users.
I'll explain it this way,...the average user does look at it all and get totally confused, but they do the same thing navigating standard internal memory. The fiasco with my coworker & his HTC One is a nice example to me. Even with no micro sd card slot he couldn't locate photos and music he'd had on the phone. A file browser and a few minutes & he was a pro searching the file system. A card does add to the difficulty, but explaining & showing what to do was relatively simple. And the ones that ask questions here on ABi are just damn confusing,...I don't help because unless I can show 'em I'm not dealing with the same questions 1,000,000,000,000 plus times.

Now, Jevin having broken apps after the sd card was removed, that adds another dimension to the equation. Putting enough internal storage on the devices solves that problem (as I personally feel all apps belong installed on the main devices memory - to maintain load speeds & optimal functionality). But I do agree that Google limiting certain things a user can do in the Android OS, as far as where apps & such are placed, is a smart move.

But, until 64gb MINIMUM is standard for internal storage, sd cards slots are a selling point for me. And actually a selling point for most of my techie & non-techie coworkers as well. Even the nOOb HTC One owner went with it because of the "minimum" storage on board. He'd have a SGS 3 or 4 otherwise,...WITH a micro sd card slot to pick up the slack.

Hopefully I stayed in line with the convo, ADHD & all,...I mean,...WOW, look at that squirrel!!!

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. I got a refund on the blackberry Playbook, and I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 2.0 on the way. Almost stock Android,...and it has a MICRO SD CARD SLOT for movies & such. The micro sc card slot and almost vanilla Android OS were what sold me,...and being inexpensive didn't hurt either!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I got a refund on the blackberry Playbook, and I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 2.0 on the way. Almost stock Android,...and it has a MICRO SD CARD SLOT for movies & such. The micro sc card slot and almost vanilla Android OS were what sold me,...and being inexpensive didn't hurt either!

Old 06-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not really,...if it's pretty much vanilla I can accept it,...since I'm not a fan of Samsung's UI overlay. This should work fine,...

Old 06-06-2013, 04:06 PM

Sorry the wait turned you off on the Playbook. Hope you enjoy the Galaxy Tab.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El C View Post
Sorry the wait turned you off on the Playbook. Hope you enjoy the Galaxy Tab.
Know anyone who wants a cover for it,...the official leather flip cover? All it'll cost is S&H,...it's not worth the shipping for me to return. :-/

Old 06-06-2013, 08:33 PM

I already have it, sorry

Old 06-07-2013, 03:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Not having a sd card slot on my Htc one or my Nexus 7 does not really matter that much to me. On my phone i have a few pictures and maybe 30 songs on it . I do not plan to use it as a replacement for my mp3 player. As for my tablet i use it mostly to browse the web and check emails. I do stream netflix at home and if i am at a hotel. I also use it to stream music from my network drive or the amazon cloud.
So i think the 32 gb. is going to last me awhile

Last edited by dgb52; 06-10-2013 at 04:32 AM.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:42 AM

I have a 64GB Playbook, which has 18 Movies, 1 TV Series (3 Seasons) and about 123 Albums and about 20 GB free. Now I don't watch movies that often, and usually use my Clip Zip for music. But When I do travel for work, I don't always have connectivity (Data Roaming is hellish expensive) I just grab the Tablet Now I have with me ebooks (Kindle and Kobo), Music via the two front facing speakers, A Library of Films / TV series I can watch of different types of so I can watch what suits my mood at the time not what I choose before, an Alarm Clock, some simple games and with wifi access to my e-mails! . A lot of the Hotels I stay in which have free Wifi do not allow streaming. So this for me is the perfect solution. I can also give it to the Kids in the back of the Car and they can watch a movie from it. Wouldn't dream of streaming content to it at home, I have two TV's which will allow that far more comfortably. So a good amount of built in storage or Micro SD card is a requirement for me.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:12 AM

So far I'm loving my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for all my entertainment. Videos look very nice on the bright,clear and pretty screen,and so do videogames on it. I was actually using both the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and Nexus 7 in Staples for a month prior to buying this tablet,before I got to work each day since I had time to burn. I compared both of them alot,and I ended up choosing the GT2 because I needed the expansion slot. It also plays alot of the MKV files that my old Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 lagged with,so far the GT2 plays everything I throw at it,except 1080P videos of course,but all the 720P content I play on it play smoothly.

I have a 64GB microSD card and I'd like to put it to good use in a tablet. So far I got the tablet to swap the external for the internal,meaning the tablet now has 64GB of internal memory for me to use I've managed to install all my apps onto the new"internal memory card" without any problems and don't notice any difference in speed,so no lag when playing videos or games.

Last edited by Lagoo56; 06-07-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Tags
8-inch, android, budget, cheap, films, movies, tablet