android
Old 01-07-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Program to batch copy album art to Sansa

I've attached (at the bottom of this message) a program to batch copy album art files to your Sansa (or other players that can connect in MSC/UMS mode).

This is mainly for people who have album art as "Folder.jpg" or "Album Art.jpg" in each album folder, and use Windows Media Player 11 to load music on their player. The Sansa fails to copy the album art files to the player, so this program avoids the need to individually drag & drop the files into the Sansa's album folders. (If you embed the album art in each .mp3 file, this program is irrelevant for you.)

Unzip the attached file into an empty folder (e.g. create a Shaker folder in C:\Program Files).

Connect your Sansa in MSC mode (from the Sansa menu, Settings > USB Mode > MSC) and run the Shaker.exe file you unzipped.

In the main window switch to the "Copy Album Art" tab. If the default doesn't show the correct folders on your PC or Sansa, click the Browse button to select the folder that contains Artist name subfolders.

If you've saved the album art to album folders on your PC with some name other than "Folder.jpg", select that option in the "Album art on computer ..." section. The destination default name "Folder.jpg" is fine for your Sansa, but if you already have some on your Sansa with its other allowed name, "Album Art.jpg" (with a space), you should choose that to stay consistent.

Then click the "Find matching album art ..." button at the bottom of the window. It may take several seconds to scan all the subfolders, and then it will show a window with the matching subfolders:

For the album folders on your Sansa that don't already have "Folder.jpg" (or what you specified in the previous window), it shows the matching folders on your PC with green to yellow indicators depending on how exact the match between folder names is. Sansa folders that already have album art are marked red, and presumably don't need files copied to them.

The matches marked yellow are pretty loose matches, so be sure to verify them before selecting for copy. After you've checked the ones you want to copy, click the OK button at the bottom of the dialog. It will take a while to copy the files to the Sansa; there will be a progress bar showing how much and a Cancel option.

In case anyone's wondering, the other tab for playlist shuffle is what I originally wrote this program for. Then when I got my Sansa and saw it couldn't copy my album art syncing with Windows Media Player, I decided to add that capability.

Note: This is still in progress, so while the album art batch copy appears to be working fine, most of the options/help menus don't do anything. The program assumes the music on your PC is organized in Artist\Album subfolders like the WMP sync creates on the Sansa drive, but it also handles some variations, e.g. for some unfamiliar collections I reverse it Album folder first and the individual artist folders second on my PC.

System requirements:
I think any Windows XP computer should be fine with it. It does NOT need the .Net framework.

I haven't tried it with Windows 2000, but I think that will also work. The program requires gdiplus.dll, which is already on all XP, but is not on Windows 2000 unless you have some other product installed that uses it (e.g. MS Office). Just start Shaker.exe, and if it complains about not finding gdiplus.dll, download it from Microsoft and put it in the same folder as Shaker.exe.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I don't think Windows 98/ME will work.

Uninstall: Just delete the program folder containing Shaker.exe. The program stores all configuration info in its own folder, and does not write any entries in the Windows Registry.

Edit (1/22/07):
I finished the program and updated the attachment below with the final version. The basic functionality is the same as the previous beta attachment. Main changes are the default music folder is more likely to be correct so you don't have to navigate to it, help file and options dialogs added, and some interface rough edges cleaned up.

Edit (4/26/07):
The attachment below now has version 1.1 with two changes. Added option in Album Art Copy to hide rows that usually aren't selected for copying to the player (2nd image above). Bug fix for the Playlist Shuffle, occasional crashes shuffling lists with few or no songs included only once.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Shaker.zip (302.4 KB, 824 views)

Last edited by gensec; 04-26-2007 at 03:24 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-07-2007, 06:22 PM

That looks complicated but very useful. I like how you have the option for 'Other' when browsing the album art names. I personally use cover.jpg and not folder.jpg

I actually renamed all my cover.jpg to Album Art.jpg, resized to a square, and manually copied onto the Sansa. Took a couple of hours Would've been great if I had this program earlier. Now I just embed the album art into the tags and sync with MediaMonkey

Old 01-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Insignia Moderator

Holy crap you put a lot of work into this. Very nice.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:15 PM

That looks like a great program. Nice job

Even though this is a little off topic, could you go into the playlist shuffle portion of this program also, or post a link if you already did (I couldn't find it if you did).

Old 01-08-2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effyman View Post
could you go into the playlist shuffle portion of this program also, or post a link if you already did (I couldn't find it if you did).
I'll include a help file when I finish the program, maybe in a week or two. For now, here's the general story on the playlist shuffle function. Like the album art function, it's oriented to people who like me use Windows Media Player to sync their Sansa (or other DAP), but maybe it can be useful with other synchronizing programs.

The procedure is use the Browse button to choose some playlist file that you previously created in WMP, then click the Shuffle Playlist button. When it asks you where to save the shuffled playlist, generally you should put it in the same folder as the original (with a different name), so WMP won't misinterpret "relative" paths in the playlist. Then when you sync in WMP, include the shuffled playlist in the Sync settings.

When you play the shuffled playlist on the Sansa, be sure to NOT have the Sansa's shuffle turned on.

This is mainly useful for shuffling large playlists in which you have some songs repeated in the playlist (whether twice or many times). If each song on the playlist occurs only once, Windows Media Player's shuffle can accomplish the same thing.

The idea is like listening to a good radio station where you hear each of your favorite songs every few days, and there are other songs you only want to hear every few weeks or months. What I do is create a playlist with all my songs. Then I drop extra copies of some songs into the playlist so I'll hear them more often - the number of extra copies varies among songs depending on how often I want to hear them.

If you then did an ordinary shuffle on that playlist in WMP, normal random variation could have most or all the occurrences of some repeated song close together, even playing the same song twice in a row, with other long stretches of the playlist where you never hear the song.

The first shuffle option checks how many times each song occurs in the playlist, and distributes it somewhat evenly across the playlist. If a song occurs say 10 times, one copy of the song will be placed in each tenth of the playlist, and within each tenth of the playlist there's a separate random assignment where to put the song. If a song appears near the end of one segment, the random placement in the next segment is restricted to not put it near the start, so you won't hear the same song repeated too soon.

The second shuffle option merely enforces a minimum separation between repeats of the same song. It has the same minimum for all songs, no matter how many times a song is repeated. The third shuffle option is plain random not caring about repeats, same as WMP's shuffle. (If the playlist doesn't have any repeats, it wouldn't make any difference which shuffle option you use.)

The option to truncate the shuffled playlist at 100 songs (or however many you specify) is something I only added after I got my Sansa, and saw how it freezes up for a while loading a long playlist. Having long playlists (well over a 1000 songs after I put in a bunch of repeats) also makes the Sansa's start up time much slower. You only need the ultra-long playlist to get the variation in song frequencies, and after shuffling it, taking a random chunk of 100 provides about 6 hours of radio style play.

In my original post, the description was limited to the album art function because I saw there were people being inconvenienced by the Sansa's inability to copy album art files in a WMP sync. I doubt if there are many people who share my taste for using playlists that play some songs more often than others. For anybody that does, I'll be glad if Shaken Not Stirred helps with that.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:56 AM

That's one hell of a program, although it is something I probably wouldn't use (at least not yet). Still, very impressive. You could probably get a job as a programing manager at a radio station, or a streamed internet radio station.

Again, nice job, and thanks for the in depth description.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Completed version ready

I finished the program to batch copy album art to the player. Rather than repeat the description, I'll just link to the description in the original post. I edited that post for the changes since then, and replaced the attachment containing the beta version with the completed version. Here's a link to the same attachment: Shaken, not stirred 1.0

Old 01-23-2007, 12:23 AM

Lot of work - impressive and definitely fills an untapped niche! Thanks for the efforts

Old 01-23-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyNilly View Post
fills an untapped niche!
"Niche" is exactly it. Some needs are unusual enough that generally available software doesn't bother with it. My need for a jukebox style playlist shuffle fit that category, so if I wanted it done right I had to do it myself. At that stage, I was only writing it for my own use.

Then the Sansa's screw up with album art created another software need, that there would otherwise be no point in programming. This time, I figured some other Sansa users might also have use for it.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:32 PM

Default This is awesome - add it to the Programs forum!

Thank you so much for this tool!

I've been using it religiously since you released it!

I do have a question. Is it possible to run this program for the songs on my MicroSD? I can load music on it through WMP 11 (just as I do with the Sansa), but can I use your program to batch load the labum art to the folders on the card?

Thanks again!

**UPDATE - Dude, I am an idiot. It would appear that I can simply Browse to the MicroSD drive, and run the utility. Once again...thanks for an awesome program! Please put it in the Programs forum!

Last edited by Nigmatic; 02-15-2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: I am an idiot.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:41 PM

gensec, Hats off, beautiful program, unfortunately I’m one of those that embeds the album art. If I ever redo all my music files I’ll reconsider, thank you for sharing!

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-19-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Mods - should thread be moved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigmatic View Post
... Please put it in the Programs forum!
Thanks all for the kind words. Now that you mention it, the Programs subforum sounds like a more logical place. I could repost the description in the Programs forum, but in some places it's considered bad manners, akin to spamming, to post the same message in multiple forums.

Moderators:

Is this thread one you would move to the Programs forum? Alternatively should I post a program description there (basically copy/paste the original post with a few edits)?

Old 03-14-2007, 01:04 PM

I store my music in the FLAC format and haven't yet found a way to not only transcode but *also* transfer album art (Media Monkey failed at this, but maybe there's something I need to adjust.) This gives me something to try when I get home. Looks nice; I'll be back later either to offer you kudos or to complain about album art on the e200 in general.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:12 PM

Downloaded it today . A very good Program , that worked fine in getting my Album Art files onto the Player.. Thank you very much..

Old 03-16-2007, 04:45 PM

I downloaded it today. Easy. Nice. Effective. Thanks a lot! Great program!

Old 04-06-2007, 02:48 PM

Great prog!
Enhancement suggestion:
Provide check box to suppress from list the full-match (i.e. all of the red) entries and the "no match found in target folders" entries (i.e. some of the grey).
Usually, those two types would be of little interest and it would be nice to see only what's left.

Last edited by todnor; 04-06-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todnor View Post
Enhancement suggestion:
Provide check box to suppress from list the full-match (i.e. all of the red) entries and the "no match found in target folders" entries (i.e. some of the grey).
That's a good idea. I usually ignore all those rows too and an option to hide them makes sense. I'll be updating the program when I have a little more free time on my hands, for a bug that pops up rarely in the playlist shuffle (does NOT affect album art copy), and then I'll also look at an option to hide those often useless rows.

I can't promise that option. It will probably be easy to do, but there might be something I don't remember that would take more work to switch on & off (e.g. if I used the list to hold data not stashed anywhere else, not just for display & selection). I definitely want the user to be able to unhide them without having to repeat the whole scan, because the gray rows can be useful for identifying what folder the program got confused by, where the user needs to manually copy a few of the album art files to the player.

Since showing all rows doesn't interfere with the actual functioning, the enhancement will depend on how much work it takes vs. how lazy I feel at the time ;-)

Old 04-26-2007, 03:16 AM

Default Feature added in version 1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by todnor View Post
Enhancement suggestion:
OK, I did get around to adding it. The attachment at the bottom of the original post at the start of this thread now has version 1.1 with the feature you wanted.

The checkboxes for hiding those rows are shown in the second illustration. There's also an option in the settings to remember which checkboxes you selected last time.

Last edited by gensec; 04-26-2007 at 03:21 AM.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:36 PM

Great! Thanks.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:57 PM

great program! I have a question:

All of my album art files are different names and not like the ones listed on your program (albumart.jpeg, etc etc). Is there anyway to wild card all jpegs present in the subfolders of my music directory?

Thanks!
chvad