android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion > Compare MP3 Players

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2013, 02:41 PM

Default Replacing iriver 120. Need recommendations - unfamiliar with new players

My old mp3 player, an iriver hp-120, died on me yesterday (screen won't turn on). I want to get a new mp3 player but no longer know anything about the terrain, and so I don't know what the best brands are any more for sound quality.

I want one with an easy to use, efficient, button-oriented interface although I guess touch is OK, too. (I just don't want anything that resembles an ipod's interface.) For what it's worth, I was happy with the iriver 120.

My 2nd top concern is the ability to record from the player with a built in microphone and with an external mic. I used this all the time so it is essential to me.

I also would like to use the mp3 player as a pseudo usb drive, so it can't have any major impediments to doing this, although this isn't a TOP priority to me. (Space, as long as it is 8gb +, is fine.)

I am looking to spend under $300 if I can on this.

I looked at the current iriver lineup and the astell and kern is not for me. Beyond that it is hard to get specs on items from their website. The e100 seems like it is their next in line model but I can't tell anything about the the interface from pics and whether it has an external mic.

I took a look at cowon and they have so many devices it is hard to sort through... I can't tell much about the interfaces, either. Maybe the X9 or D2? I can't really tell at all, and I couldn't find a price listing to compare each on price.

Creative offerings didn't seem to support external mics.

I don't know much about other brands.

short list of top concerns:
-awesome sound quality / bass
-good interface with multiple buttons, touch is OK but not preferred
-good built in mic and ability to use an external mic

minor concerns (can do without):
-price (under $300)
-space (over 8gb)
-can be used as external storage device (like a usb drive) easily
-prefer no internet connectivity

Thanks for any help in whittling down the field for me!

Last edited by Xon; 05-12-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]