android
Old 05-11-2013, 12:46 PM

Default A strange incident with my headphones

Today when using my PFEs they suddenly went quiet on one side (not completely dead, just really quiet). I tried them with three different devices (D2+, phone, Playbook) and the result was the same on all of them. After leaving them alone for about an hour I tried them again and the sound was back to normal. Is this an isolated incident, or a sign that failure is imminent? The PFEs are a little over 2 years old.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I believe I've read about this type of thing happening with other balanced-armature IEMs when moisture enters the earphone or temporarily clogs the filter. It makes sense that, over time, this moisture would evaporate and the effect would disappear.

I doubt at this point that what you experienced is a sign of imminent failure, but it could be linked to a repeatable behavior...Were you working out/sweating when it happened? If it happens again, I'd recommend changing the filter for a fresh one to see if that restores things. As a possible prevention aid, you could also consider storing your PFEs with a desiccant to keep them dry.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:18 PM

Coincidentally, I was rinsing my tip (the silicone one) when I put it back. I'm pretty sure that was what caused it, though I didn't make that connection at first when I moved the tip to the other side and it was fine.

This is the first time it's happened, fortunately. I've never used the PFEs for working out so it's never really been exposed to much sweat.