android
Old 05-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Default Android music player with a parametric EQ?

There seems to be at least two Android phones on the market ATM which look promising in terms of high quality audio. The most important feature for me is the music player so this got me thinking about getting myself one of those phones... However the issue is that I need a bit of EQ'ing to compensate for my headphones and my listening preferences. I'm under the impression that Android, like all the other popular smartphone OS'es, doesn't provide a decent EQ straight out of the box. Surprisingly I could not find any 3rd party apps to fit my criteria either. What I'm after is a media player which has a decent user interface and a parametric equalizer (=that is, an EQ which lets me adjust center frequency + bandwith/Q-value of each filter -- most programs settle with a graphical eq with a few fixed bands which isn't good enough.)

Any suggestions/pointers where to look? I know Neutron has parametric EQ but honestly looking at the interface makes me want to puke so that's not an option

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Administrator

You could check into Rockbox as an Application. You can get apk files at various resolutions here. http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=28315.0 There's no theme site like for the other builds. I believe there's some in that thread and some here.

TBH it's somewhat buggy. If I hadn't experienced Rockbox before I probably wouldn't have gone through the hassle to get it up and going on my Android devices. The UI isn't the most intuitive or the prettiest but the parametric EQ isn't matched by any other I've experienced on an Android or any other portable device.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:45 PM

Have you had a look at - PlayerPro Music Player
IEM | Marantz HP101, MEElectronics M6

Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM

Thanks for your replies guys. I have no doubt that Rockbox can do high quality audio processing etc. But since it has been originally written for non-touchscreen devices I fear it may not live up to modern standards of usability. I also had a look at the PlayerPro before posting. It seems that it only offers a fixed-band graphic EQ. Other than that it looks pretty much what I'm looking for. And no, I'm not 100% sure that the 10-band graphic EQ definitely won't suffice. It very well could. But to find out for sure I'd need to invest a considerable sum of money on a high quality device and have a listen... In other words I need to have a pretty good idea that its going to be good until I make the jump. Actually I'm quite happy with the music player I have now but it doesn't stop me from dreaming of the perfect solution

Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The free or paid versions of JetAudio are what I use. The free version only has a 10-band EQ, but paid has a 20-band EQ. I've used Rockbox too, but it always runs into issues and resets on mine, which would be fine except that, as skip said, it's pretty ugly and I changed it to dfkt's minimal theme that he posted here on ABi at some point. I really like the way that one looks, tbh.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 AM

the Walkman media player app on high end Sony phones, including my Xperia S has an EQ built in, 5 channel with a bass boost, works on all ouputs BT, line and headphone. From memory the HTC with beats do too, but may be only over headphones?

Ok just re-read post, seems the basic one isnt enough, you're after 10ch+ with adjustability so more than any stock player will have

Old 05-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Administrator

He's after a parametric equalizer. They can work very well with a lot fewer than 10 bands once you learn how to set one properly for your headphones.

Tags
android, equalizer, parametric