android
Old 04-21-2013, 10:57 AM

Default want to fine tune sound settings with eq

Hi, I'd like to get some insight on the following:

I've made an hearing tone contour test (using JVC HA-RX700):
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

and got this result:

how can this graph help me fine tune my settings?
should I config my eq to reflect those values?
what can you tell me about my freq range? is it normal, odd or what?

this is my normal setup:
volume: -12dB
bass: 24dB
treble: 7dB
stereo width: 70%
crossfeed: simple(meier)
eq: on
eq preset: jazz

you may find it strange but to my ears (big ear canals, my index finger fits in lol), I've found that the bass doesn't distort even though is set to the max value and they do not sound dark at all, the mids and sparkle are there with the added punch. can't say the same for my broken v-moda bass freq though...
the only preset that I like is the jazz, I don't know the values of it, maybe you can enlighten me...

the sound sig I like is:
more deep bass than mid bass with forward mids and bit recessed treble (where does it fit? balanced with extra bass?)

my iems, are xears td100 v1 and I'm using sennheiser single flange tips, size L, they give me a secure fit, excelent isolation, little more extension on the bass than hybrids and more open mids due to the larger diameter hole.

so, based on this info, I'm looking for opinions on how to improve the sound, since I've read a topic where dfkt says:
Quote:
Most important tip is, don't just boost EQ bands to the maximum - use the opposite bands and lower them.
any help appreciated!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-21-2013, 12:51 PM

It can't.

should I config my eq to reflect those values?

No.

what can you tell me about my freq range? is it normal, odd or what?

Looks normal.

Just turn up the deep bass and roll off the treble with your EQ if that's the kind of sound you like - I often do this.

I do not think it makes sense to EQ based on human hearing - it's like that for a reason.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qorx View Post
this is my normal setup:
volume: -12dB
bass: 24dB
treble: 7dB
stereo width: 70%
crossfeed: simple(meier)
eq: on
eq preset: jazz
OK, you have counteracting settings....the purpose of the EQ presets is to avoid the process of making your own settings, yet you have a preset available in addition to having a mammoth bass boost and a treble boost enabled. So the EQ preset is pointless.

And why you have the stereo width narrowed to 70% baffles me completely, I must admit.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:26 PM

@Satellite_6
thanks for your help

@MtM
I feel the two complement what I want, if I only use the bass/treble boost w/o the preset, I miss something... and if I use only the preset, I miss the bass.
as for the narrow stereo width value, I'm just experimenting what gives, same with crossfeed...
thanks

Old 04-22-2013, 12:09 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
I've found that the bass doesn't distort even though is set to the max value and they do not sound dark at all,
The tone controls will never distort no matter what settings you choose. They automatically set a precut to compensate for any gain, so distortion is impossible.

That said, those settings don't really make much sense. You're basically massively attenuating all the midrange frequencies.

Quote:
In general I would say its not useful because its mixing up the response of your headphones with the normal response of your ears.

Quote:
I feel the two complement what I want, if I only use the bass/treble boost w/o the preset, I miss something... and if I use only the preset, I miss the bass.
I think the current preset adds 10 EQ bands. Then you've added 2 more for the bass and treble boost. Thats probably running your player's CPu at basically max all the time, and mostly for no reason. You'll probably have really bad battery life.

A better approach would be to program in 1 or 2 additional bands on top of the bass and treble to add whatever you liked about the jazz preset. But I would not use both. Its really inefficient.

Last edited by saratoga; 04-22-2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: completely misunderstood the plot

Old 04-22-2013, 05:35 PM

@saratoga
thanks a lot for your explanation on how the tone controls work. the auto precut makes sense.
I'll disregard the graph then, since it's usefulness here is none as stated by you and Satellite_6
I wasn't aware of the cpu maxing out all the time with my settings, but battery life is good though, between 13h to +15h... however, I'll follow your advise to not use both and I'll try to achieve what I've now w/o being inefficient.

many thanks!