android
Old 04-10-2013, 04:05 PM

Default galaxy player 3.6 GPS issues

i have a sgp 3.6 and it seems to take forever to get a gps lock if it locks at all. even outside! i have been able to get it lock by putting it on top of my microwave as funny as that sounds. i put it up there and 5 minutes later it is locked. other than that it just wont lock on to a gps signal. i have 2 sgp 5's and 2 4's all of which lock on within seconds inside or outside. it seems to me that the 3.6 has an inferior gps antenna (that isn't the only thing inferior on it) compared to the 4 and 5. anyone else have the 3.6 and noticed this as well? any ideas, suggestions? thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you made any changes to the back or the battery? On some devices they are part of the antenna.

Steve

Old 04-11-2013, 03:29 PM

i have done nothing no changes at all. i bought it refurbished from amazon. i have not dropped it or anything. using the app gps fix it can get a lock in a minute or so in SOME areas outside. i am not going to bother taking it apart. i would rather just return it, but my gut (and the reviews i have read) tell me that the sgp 3.6 just has an inferior gps antenna. anybody on here have the 3.6 and have the same problem? i would love to know if this warrants returning or they are all like this.

Last edited by brosko; 04-11-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3300 View Post
a couple of things, did you try other gps apps to see if it some thing the 3.6 doesn't like?

the microwave makes sense to me because an ant. needs a ground plain typically to function correctly like an upside down letter T. the now bottom of the T is the neg. connection and offers a grounding stage to capture in receive mode and reflect/bounce in tx mode. in a communication application it mirror images itself and the mirrored portion is underneath the actual ant. and is now doubled in size. in a car application the car is the bottom of the T and the length of the ant. is determined by the frequency it will be used on. so now your device is using the metal for the ground stage, not grounded/negative connection like a car, but just the plane. many car mobile ant. add-ons that are not drilled in do not offer a true grounded connection either (like our gps ant.), so they allow for that by using capacitance in the structure of the ant. like a magnet mount ant. so maybe a capacitor is out in it in the ant. circuit or a fine wire opened up in it to cause the standing wave ratio (swr) to be to high for a lock.

did you drop it, get dirt or dust or moisture in it? maybe near the gps ant. ? is it under warranty? if not, open it and inspect the ant. to see if there is any thing on it or spray an electronic cleaner on it. let it fully dry before reassembly. use a good magnifying glass to inspect it.

my sg5 was flaky too, some times it would lock-on quick and others times it took over 5 minutes and any where in between.

maybe a hard reset is in order to see if that may help with yours. just take your sd card out so it can't hurt whats on it. make a back up 1st too in case it didn't help, you can restore it all to how it was easier.

thats about all i got for ya.
oh, there are images of the sg5 out and i have my own, but i could not find any of the sg3.6. look at my post on i removed a battery today to see what the gps ant. will look like. just clean/inspect both that you find to make sure you hit it.
look @ FULLY APART pic and look for the square perforated metal part. just to the lower left near the edge of the board is the blue tooth ant. tiny little sucker and looks more like a smd (surface mount device/leadless electronic component) component than and antenna. your gps ant. looks just like it or should and should be at the top of the unit.
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72013

found this for ya too, but not sgp3.6, but you will know what to look for:
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/att...9&d=1363898084

some final words by many other dissatisfied sg3.6 owners:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-YP-GS1...owViewpoints=0
i have tried gps doctor, gps status, and a few others none can get a signal most of the time.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 PM

Default Calling all Samsung Galaxy 3.6 Owners

Please if you own an sgp 3.6 can you please tell me is it just my device or is the 3.6 horrible with the gps signal. try to use the navigation and see if you can get a lock(gps emblem stops blinking and stays solid). mine basically cannot get a lock at all, and if it does it loses it every couple seconds. my 5 and 4 DO NOThave this problem. i need to know if this is just mine so i can justify calling nuko (the refurbisher) to fix it. thanks to all who reply.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Administrator

I merged your new thread moved to where you first started this investigation. Please don't open a new thread to deal with the same issue. It makes it difficult for anyone to know where to answer and possibly search this in the future.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 PM

Ok makes sense, sorry

Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Administrator

No prob. I figure you want to find out more before your warranty or return period runs out and you're stuck with a defective item. It's just better to keep it in one place so any info on this would be easy to find.

Don't be shy about bumping this up every few days so it doesn't go away. I know a few people that are envying my refurb 4.0 Wifi and are asking me if a 3.6 is worth it. If this is a common issue I'd like to find out before I tell them to pull the trigger on one.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:49 AM

today the gps worked. it took 10 minutes or so of driving around to get a lock but then it worked great including the navigation app.as i said though the 4 and 5 get a lock almost instantly without fail. what we really need is some others with the 3.6 to give the gps some good testing and see whats up. i am leaning toward the conclusion that the gps antenna or possibly the software being 2.3.6 is at fault for the sub par gps performance. let's hear from some others.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:51 PM

so.... it quickly became apparent that the only way i was to get to the bottom of this was to order another sgp 3.6, and that is exactly what i did (brand new) from amazon. i got it yesterday, turned it on and.... the GPS is exactly the same. no better at all. it has a lot more trouble picking up a signal than the 4 or 5 do. obvoiusly it has an inferior GPS antenna. if nothing else hopefully this thread can be of some help to others with the same question. since my original post i have come to find however that the GPS is "acceptable". whan out doors it does get a lock after a minute or two MOST of the time and once locks stays locked Most of the time, whereas the 4 and 5 get a signal almost instantly indoors on a rainy day without a problem. also by the way i am going to return the one i just purchased for a refund.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:29 AM

Me too I have this problem with my Samsung Galaxy Player 3.6. Anyway to fix it. The GPS just don't work. That suck because I can't use applications like Run Keeper ...