android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 03-17-2013, 05:45 PM

Default noise cancelling clip on/neckphones ear/head phones?

Hi,

I'm after some noise cancelling headphones/earphones that clip over my ears but I can't seem to find any. Is there such a thing for 50 or less?

I currently own a pair of ordinary Sony headphones, not sure if these are classed as in-ear. They are the same design, though better quality, as the ones you get free with ipods etc. The bud fits just inside your ear. I would be happy with a pair of these if they cancelled out noise but the only ones I can find fit quite deeply into the ear, makes sense but I find them uncomfortable. Headphones are too bulky. I would use my headphones when commuting. I like listening to audiobooks as well as music but with my current headphones this is almost impossible.

If you know of another type which may suit my needs please let me know. I've heard about ones that are attached to a neck band? I don't know anything about them though.

Help appreciated,

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-17-2013, 06:57 PM

After having read the guide.

I live in England.

Want to listen to audiobooks and music through my sansa fuze 8gb.

Don't really have a type of sound I prefer so good clear sound that isn't tinny will be fine.

Never knew there were so many different types of headphones! Noise cancellation is key although a little noise coming through would be acceptable as long as it was very slight.

Ease of use and comfort are a big plus although now I think about it I do attempt to listen whilst lying in bed. Maybe neckphone design would be best ?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

What kind of noise are you trying to cancel out or isolate?

Noise cancellation only really works in a few situations otherwise isolation is the thing to go for. To get good isolation you need to use either proper IEMs (None of those earbud hybrids) or isolating closed headphones.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:25 AM

Train, traffic, TV, general chatter. As I say wouldn't mind if they were present as long as it didn't affect my listening experience. Basically headphones that enable me to listen to my content wherever I am and be able to actually hear it. Sounds like isolation would be better. Does that mean I don't need noise cancellation?

These seem ideal but are discontinued. http://www.headphone.com/headphones/...er-pmx-200.php

Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A bunch of years ago, I did a comparison of Shure earbud isolating phones with flange tips as against Sony noise-canceling bud phones with "regular" tips, on an airplane. Interestingly, I found that the isolating phones did a slightly better job in keeping the music I was listening to noise-free (and, of course, with less bulk: no noise-canceling circuitry required). Of course, your mileage will vary, depending on the phones.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah you definitely want something with decent isolation versus something with noise cancellation.

I've owned a few sets of noise canceling headphones and really the only situation where they work, and work well is in an airplane when you want to sleep, in a server room where there's constant fan noise or when next to an industrial air conditioner. In these cases, its a god send, and will help prevent tinnitus and such.

Noise cancelling almost doesn't work in busses and trains. In a bus, a set of NC headphones might irritate you more then anything as a bus tends to make a lot more clicking and poping noises. Sure you won't hear the engine as much, but you will hear the tires scratching on the pavement, every single person talking with an elevated clarity and possibly something you've never really noticed like the warble of the bus windows flexing as the bus drives and rattles along its path. That last one was a new level of annoyance I wasn't prepared for

The good thing about noise cancellation though is that you can easily make use of it over a set of decent IEMs! Just put the IEMs in your ears, and put your choice of NC headphones over to remove the constant rumble that usually will penetrate your IEMs at least to some degree. So you can buy a cheap set of under 50$ NC headphones if you just want the kind of silence that only NC can offer... Some people swear by Bose but this trick is jsut as good and you get to choose the kind of sound you want rather then the terrible sound Bose thinks sounds awesome -_-

Tags
clip on, earphones, headphones, neckphones, noise cancelling