android
Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 PM

I dont know for sure but I would imagine that a high end smart phone would surpass the sgp in both quality of speakers and volume. Someone on here should be able to tell us.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVivona View Post
I had the occasion to compare my SGP5 with a Toshiba Thrive 7" tablet owned by a friend and my SGP5 had much fuller and louder speaker sound and picked up Wi-Fi better than the Thrive tablet. Made me proud of my SGP.
That doesn't say much for the Thrive....because I don't think the SGP 5.0 wifi reception is very good at all.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
That doesn't say much for the Thrive....because I don't think the SGP 5.0 wifi reception is very good at all.

Yep, one of tbe first things I noticed about the sgp is that it seems to have a bit more difficulty picking up a wi fi signal compared to other devices. It is acceptable but not great by any means.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:00 PM

Also it seemed to me that the 4.0 has better wifi reception than the 5. Then I figured out why. The 5 has the wi fi antenna at the bottomof the device on the speaker side and the 4 has it at the very top. When using the device (5.0) you naturaly hold it at the bottom more or less and cover up the antenna.
You will notice that if you open up your grip and hold your fingers back away from the lower speaker it will get stronger reception.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosko View Post
Also it seemed to me that the 4.0 has better wifi reception than the 5. Then I figured out why. The 5 has the wi fi antenna at the bottomof the device on the speaker side and the 4 has it at the very top. When using the device (5.0) you naturaly hold it at the bottom more or less and cover up the antenna.
You will notice that if you open up your grip and hold your fingers back away from the lower speaker it will get stronger reception.
I never knew that the antenna was at the bottom. I had wondered about my fingers and hand affecting the reception, and it did seem like if I set it down the reception would be better, but I never knew if that was all in my head or not.

Now at least I know to turn the device around if I try to download my podcasts in my bedroom.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:09 PM

The difference is actually quite noticeable. Sometimes if I have a weak signal that is barely hanging on I just hold the thing up with an open like grip and that is enough to keep connected. It really gets better putting it down though.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:39 PM

Here is a picture of what is claimed to be the inside view of a SGP5. The Wi-FI antenna is about 1/3 of the way up the right side (same side as the headphone jack). The GPS antenna is at the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Galaxy Player Inside.jpg (56.8 KB, 28 views)

Old 03-21-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVivona View Post
Here is a picture of what is claimed to be the inside view of a SGP5. The Wi-FI antenna is about 1/3 of the way up the right side (same side as the headphone jack). The GPS antenna is at the top.
That is the pic I got my info from. The antenna is right where one would normally hold it.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:07 PM

Relooking at the pic it is actuallt almost half way up but none the less right about where your hand blocks it.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've heard this complaint often. It confuses me because this gets better reception than my brother's SGS3.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 AM

I've never had any issues with wifi signal, but I do use mine in landscape mode so the wifi receiver is on top. I've used the video camera on Skype from over 70ft from the router with no issues!

Seems I have had a good unit, no battery issues either (touch wood, lol)

marcel

Old 03-22-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I dont know for sure but I would imagine that a high end smart phone would surpass the sgp in both quality of speakers and volume. Someone on here should be able to tell us.
Smart phone sound quality all depends on the DAC used in it, so if you where to go that route try to find a phone with the Wolfson DAC, my SGP4 has better sound then my Razr Maxx and the SGP4 was the first of those 2 to release and the at the time of purchase the Razr Maxx was the Top-end phone, so it's all about reading specs and knowing what to look for.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:24 PM

yes but wouldn't a top of the line smart phone generally be more likely to have a good quality dac. i dont know much about this but it would seem logical being that a high end smart phone has just about everything else better than a sgp.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
yes but wouldn't a top of the line smart phone generally be more likely to have a good quality dac. i dont know much about this but it would seem logical being that a high end smart phone has just about everything else better than a sgp.
Not necessarily, as was my example with my phone (that was TOP OF THE LINE when I bought it), Most smart phones are "geared" for speed and performance, only a small handful even try to tout there sound quality as a music player, not that they aren't out there just don't go thinking ANY high end phone is going to sound as good as or better, if you see a phone you like do some research (check xda) and see how people rate it's sound quality as a music player and try to find out which DAC is in it then research the DAC for reviews on it's quality.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Administrator

DAC quality alone doesn't mean much. How it's implemented does. Just about any DAC made in the last several years is capable of supplying a top quality signal that won't be enough different from the next to make a difference. If a maker hobbles a DAC's performance by following it up with a poorly implemented amp section then there can be audible differences.

I'd check the RMAA results over at gsmarena to get an idea of what a phone should sound like. Most of the results on recent smart phones have been pretty good but a few have been surprisingly poor. One thing I'd pay attention to is their assessment on volume. There's some phones I've heard that sound decent but are really quiet.

When I checked the gsmarena evaluation what I thought I was hearing got confirmed. Nice overall quality, low volume. You could add an amp to deal with that but I prefer a one device solution.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:23 AM

Samsung has no more interest in making these players. They were put in the market to compete with the iPodTouch. Now that's a dead platform too, so...Really, from a corporate profits standpoint, why would they sell a $250 5" device (the player) when they can sell a $700 5" device (S4, GN2, etc). They have very tight alliances with the major carriers so there's no incentive to make less $ per unit and make a product that carriers make no money off.

I have been looking at the Galaxy Note 2 seriously. And also the new HTC ONE.
Here's what I think. The GN2 is powerful, has a nice 5.5" screen and would do almost everything I want...since I'm a "designer type" I could make good use of the stylus. But it really disappoints me that Samsung continues the cheap plastic skins that they've been doing the past few years. It's one thing for a $250 device...but for their flagship $7-800 devices??? Also, they continue the stupid trend of putting the speaker on the back of the device and not providing stereo speakers. do I want the sound to go into the couch cushion, the floor or my boots? No, I do not.

Now along comes HTC and presents the new ONE. VERY nice build. Machined aluminum casing. This is the only smartphone that I know of that has forward-facing speakers! And STEREO! AND LOUD!! Well isn't this something. Very, very nice move. Hey, mostly we do not listen to music with the speakers, but if they are there, and work well and are loud, fantastic! but we all watch video, and that's where you really want the forward-facing stereo speakers.

However, here's what HTC did wrong. Fist of all, no micro-SD card! What? (how much can that cost to include?) The cloud(s) is not perfect and data connection is not perfect either, so I keep my stuff on the device! To make matters worse, they are having production problems, and are only releasing the 32 gB model. to make it even worse , they have given AT&T an exclusive on selling the 64 gB model! Also, the screen is slightly less than 5" so it would be a downsize for us. And you're still paying (probably) something like $700. The screen is supposed to be quite good and the battery is smaller than the GGP5 which is disappointing (also non-replaceable). So you get a $700 device, with 32 gB, and no microSD. Pathetic.

There's a recent rumor that Sammy is coming out with two new "Mega" devices in May/June...I think 5.5" and 6.3". Phone/table genre. All rumor right now. If those get stereo speakers, I will probably plop down my $700.

The discussion about sound quality is a valid one. Our devices were designed for good sound quality. Smartphones are really not. I have yet to see a single review from any of the tech sites that took sound quality/DAC chip into account when considering all the aspects of a new device under review. For the vast majority of people, they really do not care. They've got some Kenny Chesney or Brittney Spears playing and who cares what it really sounds like. I have not listened to music on a GN2 or (S4 obviously) (or the ONE) and cannot comment on whether they are doing a decent job in this respect.

If you do decide to go the smartphone route and jump on the data bandwagon, you can take a smartphone to a third party carrier like Straight Talk and get talk/text/data unlimited for $45 per month and no contract. Walk away whenever you want. Uses AT&T or T-Mobile's network (no LTE on AT&T though) Not too shabby.

I really wish that the major manufacturers would expand the tablet range to a lower end of 6". Samsung Galaxy Tab 6, with stereo speakers. That would be just about right I think. We have all discovered quite a comfortable and affordable option with the SGP series. Almost tall the benefits and none of the data costs. I think if Samsung did release a 6" Galaxy Tab, they would have many people doing what we do...and losing sales of the high-end smartphones.

Last edited by Blackdog; 04-02-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
The discussion about sound quality is a valid one. Our devices were designed for good sound quality. Smartphones are really not. I have yet to see a single review from any of the tech sites that took sound quality/DAC chip into account when considering all the aspects of a new device under review.
Please look at the post directly before yours. You can't find information if you refuse to look for it. Hard to see how you keep missing that gsmarena has exactly the information you say you can't find. They do both RMAA and ears on testing of hand sets. The results confirm what most of us that have heard good smartphones already know. Quite a few of them sound as good as any dedicated DAP or PMP.

Telling others that current smartphones aren't capable of sounding as good as a decent DAP is one of the ways people get shut off from alternatives that might serve them better than limited offerings like the Galaxy Players. Any maker that's serious about sales knows that Apple raised the bar with the iPhone and the Touch. They're aware that's the standard their product needs to meet and most of the results I see say they're doing a good job of keeping pace with sound quality.

The DAC is the easy part. Just about any of them made today can put out a signal that sounds as good as the next. It's when the maker screws up the amp section that audible problems come up. If a maker puts a decent amount of effort into making sure the amp section is done correctly a smartphone can match up quite nicely with a good quality DAP.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:26 AM

I pretty much had decided that buying a spare SGP5 to keep "just in case" wouldn't make economic sense when about 10 days ago Best Buy put their refurbished SGP5's on sale for $111. At that price, I changed my mind and I managed to get one before they sold out two days later. I will keep the spare SGP5 shut down and only turn it on and check the battery each month to keep it charged. If my SGP5 quits while it is still a viable product, I have now have a spare. If something better comes along I may still be able to eBay the spare unit and recover some of my money.

Meanwhile, it will be interesting to see what people come up with as a SGP replacement. Unless mini-tablets come back, most likely we will have to find a smartphone that has good media performance and reasonable battery life. Many smartphones expect to be activated as a phone, so if you intend to use it only as a Wi-Fi device, you will have to find the "secret" to get past the activation screen. Search for that on the web and you'll probably find the workaround for your particular smartphone.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:12 AM

Talking "Mega" Line

This is probably going slightly off topic but there has been news going around these past few days about samsung coming out with a 5.8 and 6.3 inch phone/tablet. This line is expected be called the "Mega" smartphone line. If this is believed to be true I think that this would be a acceptable replacement for the SGP line. The screen size maybe bigger but the overall size may just increase just alittle. This has been done with the SGSIV.

The screen is bigger but the footprint is about the same.This would still be smaller and more portable than the current galaxy tablets which range from 7-10 inches. These products are expected to be announced at two separate events in May and July. Now what Im thinking is that the 5.8 inch device is the Galaxy Note 3 and the 6.3 inch device will be a galaxy tab. But according to this article it will be a new line of products from Samsung. Here is the link to the article

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/04/02/...-are-upcoming/

Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Please look at the post directly before yours. You can't find information if you refuse to look for it. Hard to see how you keep missing that gsmarena has exactly the information you say you can't find.
Whoa! Put down the gun!. I think you may have heard me wrong. I'm not refusing anything, I merely was saying that in any of the Cnet, Engadget, BGR, Android Authority, Verge, (etc) reviews of phones, when they go through the various criteria such as screen, camera, software skin, phone, battery, etc...I have not seen any of these reviews discuss the quality of sound that the device is capable of. Either the DAC chip or the on-board music-playing software. It not only does not seem to be significant to most consumers, it does not appear to be on the radar for most of the reviewers/bloggers as well.

Tags
discontinued, galaxy player, replacement