android
Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A Rockboxed fuze+ isn't bad actually,... I'd say go for it. I used to hate the fuze+, but Rockbox on it made me do a 180. No reason to pass it up now,...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
A Rockboxed fuze+ isn't bad actually,... I'd say go for it. I used to hate the fuze+, but Rockbox on it made me do a 180. No reason to pass it up now,...
Huh. That's pretty amazing. Score one (thousand) for Rockbox, eh?

I've always liked the look of the white Fuze+'s, to be honest. Armed with your newfound endorsement, I might actually snatch one up (if I ever come across it on deep, deep discount )...

Old 06-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I can confirm this. Without Rockbox, a Fuze+ isn't good for much more than target practice, but they're usable with RB installed. I wouldn't want it as my only DAP, but as part of a stable of them, a RB Fuze+ is doable.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Marv made me try it out, it's definitely doable. Not perfect, but I could deal with it. The original OS is still crap tho,...

Old 06-26-2013, 04:14 AM

Not keen on clip/clip+.
Yeah I used rockbox on my old Fuze.
Can I find some review on rockboxed Fuze+? Or, can one of you have it care to write one?
IMO the old Fuze is still the perfect one, hope Sansa will get Fuze gen 3 too..

Old 06-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchn View Post
Not keen on clip/clip+.
Can I find some review on rockboxed Fuze+? Or, can one of you have it care to write one?
The old Fuze is decent until the wheel starts sticking. My Fuze wheel started sticking two times, and each time it wasn't that easy to remedy it. The proprietary cable and proprietary connector on the Fuze are also annoying. I can understand why Sandisk wanted to get away from the mechanical wheel, however the Fuze+ doesn't seem like a good solution. I hope Sandisk comes out with a new player in two months. I'm not holding my breath waiting for it. Sandisk has done so well with their clip on players. If only they could give it more battery life, perhaps 30 hours to match the ipod Nano, it would be a real contender. I am satisfied with the Clip Zip screen, especially when I use it in the monochrome runner theme.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I am satisfied with the Clip Zip screen, especially when I use it in the monochrome runner theme.
I don't like that theme at all. Not enough information and it is still unreadable while you are active.
I use ZipPlus on the one Zip, as seen below...

And on the other Zip, I use clock_lock_2_zip......

Asides from the screens you see above, every other menu I access is set to be just white letters on black.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchn View Post
Not keen on clip/clip+.
Okay, you could try a Rockboxed 5.5G iPod, I'm just not sure how much they go for these days or if they're even available....

If all else fails, go for the E475, you just have to be content with 16GB of space and no-flac playback.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"Not enough information and it is still unreadable while you are active."

I have no trouble reading it when using my reading glasses. I guess if I made the display brighter I might be able to read it without the reading glasses, but it would eat more battery power. I guess I am old. When most people get over 45 or so even those who never used glasses before start needing to use reading glasses.

I hate the green color in those displays. With the Clip+ I am stuck with the green display, however with the Clip Zip I can easily avoid it. Imo white letters on a black background is easiest to read. The runner theme is also supposed to use the least amount of energy on the Clip Zip.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
"Not enough information and it is still unreadable while you are active."

I have no trouble reading it when using my reading glasses. I guess if I made the display brighter I might be able to read it without the reading glasses, but it would eat more battery power. I guess I am old. When most people get over 45 or so even those who never used glasses before start needing to use reading glasses.

I hate the green color in those displays. With the Clip+ I am stuck with the green display, however with the Clip Zip I can easily avoid it. Imo white letters on a black background is easiest to read. The runner theme is also supposed to use the least amount of energy on the Clip Zip.
It's not the glasses factor that makes it unreadable for me when I am being active, it's the player moving about. Even if I am holding it in my hand, with each step taken the movement is enough to not quite let me read it. If I stop for a quick second, then I can read it, so in that case I figure might as well use the other themes with more information on them.

As far as the amount of energy used, with my backlight setting of 15 seconds, I'm sure there's very little difference between that theme and what I use.

Tags
2012, e-series, e470, sony, walkman