android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 03-09-2013, 01:06 PM

Default Akai EIE Pro or Lexicon I-O|22 for AKGQ 701 [Specs inside]

Hello

I have a pair of AKG Q701 and right now I need an audio interface for my computer.

The interfaces I have in mind are the Akai EIE Pro and the Lexicon I-O|22.

Considering the specs of each unit, which one would be the one best compatible with the Q701?

The specs vary on the way they are presented on both units, and i'm not sure i totally understand them.
I really wanted the Akai EIE Pro for all its extra features, but from my understanding i could run into problems if i turn the headphone volume up too much. Could anyone confirm this please?
The Power the Lexicon can output for 50Ω seems to mean that that will be plenty sufficient to feed the Q701, correct?

Here are the specs available online for the Q701 and both units

Quote:
Akg Q701
Frequency range: 10Hz to 39.8kHz
Sensitivity: 105dB SPL/V
Input impedance: 62 ohms
Maximum input power: 200mW
Quote:
Akai EIE Pro

32-Ω load
Unclipped output power: 10 mW @ 1 kHz
Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+0.25 dB)
S/N: -100 dB, A-weighted
THD+N: 0.007% @ 1 kHz / 0 dBFS
Crosstalk: 95 dB @ 1 kHz / 0 dBFS

600-Ω load
Unclipped output power: 3.4 mW @ 1 kHz
Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+0.25 dB)
S/N: -100 dB, A-weighted
THD+N: 0.003% @ 1 kHz / 0 dBFS
Crosstalk: 95 dB @ 1 kHz / 0 dBFS
Quote:
Lexicon I-O|22

Headphone Output: 1/4 stereo jack 350mW per channel at 50Ω
Thanks in advance for the attention.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Firstly I jsut have to ask, do you need this device to have the inputs- or are you just using it to power your headphones? If its the latter, I'd firstly consider looking at something simple like a USB sound card, and if you feel the need for volume knobs and more power then consider a simple headphone Amp with a DAC onboard like maybe the FiiO E10 (No idea if its good, just know that FiiO make a lot of reasonably priced headphone amps).

Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 AM

Many thanks for your reply, really appreciate it.

Yes, I do need inputs. I have an external mixer that i can't interface with the computer, hence needing an interface.

The Akai EIE Pro is very well featured compared to the Lexicon I-O|22, the 2 extra inputs, the insert points plus the usb hub, but i can really skip all that and sort of mimic it with the equipment i already have. So all comes down to which comes with the best Headphone amp, as i work mostly with headphones on.
The AKG x70x are very demanding cans, i want to make sure i can use their whole potential, if you see what i mean.

Let me paste a reply i gave on a another forum where i explain with a little bit more detail my setup.

Quote:
I mostly work with headphones. I need an interface to plug a pair of old Alesis M1 ActiveMKII for occasional use and a couple of hardware synths that are currently plugged to an old Roland VM3100 Pro. This setup was perfect for me in the past, with the V-Fire firewire interface i could record everything in the mixer and use its integrated headphone amp to monitor everything in the mixer and everything in the computer. It was a modest setup but was 100% functional.

The VM3100 is completely obsolete, the only thing i can do is having external sound sources plugged in it and have it then connected to a new interface.

The cool thing about the Akai are its extra inputs and inserts points, that i can still mimic with the VM3100 if i go with the Lexicon. The Akai also as the 3 USB port Hub, i could see myself giving it a lot of use as well.
So my doubt really just comes down to the headphone amp.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Okay, well my understanding of whats good in this field is limited then. Only ever owned an Audiofire 4.