android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon X7

Old 04-03-2016, 10:30 AM

Default Genres with beginning numbers in parentheses (Solved)

I have an annoying problem that I haven't got around to fixing, but now I'm a bit annoyed by it. There are a lot of genres with numbers in parentheses. My genre list starts with (0)blues, and there are eighteen others. I can see no difference in the music in these genres from the ones with genres without the numbers - though with the same word - like just 'blues'. I want a way to fix this problem, and find out why the machine (software) is naming them like this.

Last edited by loki-dog; 04-06-2016 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Solved

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I can't comment on why that is happening, I use Tag&Rename to take control over my genre tags, if something is 'auto tagging' then I'd look into that first and tell whatever it is to stop.

I find genres a highly underrated tag, many DAPs support playing via genres, but if you don't sort those tags out manually then u just get a heap of garbage lists in your DAP, such as 'Electronic' as well as 'Electronica'... or 'Heavy Metal' and 'Metal' so on so forth.

Personally I used the Genre tag as a way of defining the 'scene' or 'mood' of where the albums or artists appear. So when entertaining friends over etc I would have retagged the mellow tracks genre to being called 'Relaxed' or when I go to the Gym I can find my aggressive or energetic upbeat tracks being defined as simply 'Gym'.

More info on platform and software would assist us.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:07 PM

I use tag and rename too. I have the latest version. There is nothing in the file that shows up - even when using tag and rename to look at the X7 hard drive. So the genres are not being changed. I just transfered some music over today and none were mis-genred. The genre thing has to be happening on the X7's database. I did update the firmware, and it's been cold started. It was happening for awhile - probably that last couple updates. I can't see anything weird about the files this happens to or anything else, but I'll do a little more playing around. Genres are nice to play - but I agree with you that it's a bit overrated (if you use the genres that are on them originally), though I use it the same way you do. I also tag/retag my own to avoid the electronica vs electronic etc. When you do this there is really no difference than sorting into 'music' category folders - really just puts another 'category' to play on shuffle. I actually want a few genres for each file as some music fits a few categories - there is 'mood' but X7 doesn't use it. A few categories would be perfect. I think I'll do a folder organization that gives me another type of shuffle.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:18 AM
Administrator

Sounds like the player is reading the ID3 tag genre. There's a list of those here http://www.multimediasoft.com/amp3dj...3dj_00003e.htm.

I don't have a definite solution to what's causing it or how to stop the player from displaying them. You could try looking at what type tags the files contain. I think I may have fixed a similar issue on a DAP years back by rewriting tags ID3v1 to ID3v2 and making sure memory of the old tags was wiped out by deleting the database.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:48 AM

Hey that's a real clue! This brings up a lot of possible problems.
*Conflict between ID3V1 and ID3V2 tags
*Conflict between My 'created' tags and those that are 'in the system' so to speak
*Unicode issue - not sure this is a real problem with MP3's but it comes up on Tag and Rename help

I think I'll transfer the files that have issues to my HD and see what happens. Then work on them - maybe explore them at the data level. I have a viewer that can look at the actual data in the files and see where the "(0) Blues" or other mis-genre info is located inside a file. I can also compare a file with a problem to a file where it doesn't occur and come up with a solution.

Last edited by loki-dog; 04-04-2016 at 08:49 AM. Reason: forgot to delete part of a sentence

Old 04-04-2016, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Dug out my notes as to when I dealt with this before. Seems the issue wasn't confined to MP3 files. When I checked the file types .wma and .m4a files also sometimes displayed ID3 genre tags in parentheses. They weren't my files so I have no idea what tagging software was used to add that info to them. Considering neither of those should have ID3 tags of any type I guessed the player itself was misreading the actual tag and presenting it's best interpretation.

The DAP was a Cowon i9. The files were transferred in MSC mode. When I tried editing the files on the player the genres continued to display incorrectly. When I tried taking the files off, editing them using foobar2000 or MP3Tag then reloading them the genres still were displayed as numbers in parentheses.

That made me conclude that the genre tags were being held in the database and the database wasn't re-reading files completely. I deleted the PARAM.CFG file to force a full database refresh and the updated files were displayed as I expected after editing the tags.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:21 PM

So I found the solution. It's not Cowon. It's Tag&Rename - or at least it's inability to deal with the strings that aren't letters in the name. The Synchronization Wizard (in T&R) didn't do anything. But the "replace leading and trailing blanks" did the trick.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:22 PM

Is there a "Tag & Rename" forum? I searched and didn't find one.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:03 PM

I found a solution.

I can use Tag & Rename and just re-tag a file. This works - I tested it. So I can sort all my MP3's and retag the ones with bad genre tags - I'll just re-tag them all (most genres don't have replicate ones with these characters fortunately) as I can't see the "(0)" parts.

This is not the best solution, but not that bad. I'll have to come up with a way to synchronize the files though - make sure I have the same version in my Backups.

Last edited by loki-dog; 04-04-2016 at 03:14 PM. Reason: clarity

Old 04-06-2016, 09:08 AM

The Authoe/Creator of Tag & Rename responded with-

"A long time ago some software (I already don't remember which one) add
brackets with genre number before genre text and some times it adds only
number like "(0)" instead of "Blues" into ID3v2 tag. Tag&Rename
automatically handle this. To fix this in all your files at ones, you
can select all your files and save it tags in multi files tag editor
with all check boxes unchecked:

1. Select your files (you may need to enable "Search Subfolders" in main
menu -> View)
2. Press Ctrl+F5 and in opened Multi files tag editor window press