android
Old 02-17-2013, 12:49 PM

Default Cowon Z2 vs...?

Hello, my i7 is dying out (the power button is starting to just not work) and so I would like to get a new PMP. I would really enjoy having WIFI/Android, and so I am thinking Z2 is my best option in order to retain the Cowon sound quality.

However, after looking at the threads in the Z2 section, it seems that everyone uses android apps (Neutron/Poweramp) to play music instead of the Cowon's player. Is there any real use to buying a Cowon if you are simply going to use android apps to play music? (This is especially true for the Z2 considering the sad battery life that it has)

So my questions are... If I want WIFI/Android + the good sound quality of a Cowon, can I simply buy an android device and run neutron on it? Will the sound card make a huge difference? Are there any companies that make an android device with a good sound card? For my price range, if it has WIFI/Android, I am willing to spend upwards to $300 (but would much prefer $250).

Thanks for your time!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My 2 cents is to think about what settings u use currently in yer i7. Are u a BBE/Jet Effect freak like me? If so using Poweramp etc on the Z2 won't bring these settings across, you'll have to use stock player for that (i'm pretty sure i'm right about this, however don't actually own a z2).
If however you don't use BBE/Jet Effect that much (or are bothered about it) then I suggest opening up to considering other players such as a the samsung galaxy PMP as they also have decent sound quality. Basically I'm suggesting cowon + BBE is unique (some like, some don't), but Cowon on its own without BBE etc can be replaced adequately by another player/brand.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you value BBE get a Cowon, if not then get another Android device and just use the app of your choice. Me, personally, I like Cowon but I don't use BBE.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The newer Cowon models' BBE and JetEffects won't sound quite the same as the i7 did, either. They are noticeably different comparing D2 and i9.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:34 PM

Ahh okay, well thanks for the comments. Definitely answered my question on whether or not Cowon BBE has already been replaced by various android apps :P. If anyone has a different experience (perhaps that BBE is just like Neutron or otherwise), feel free to post about it and I will consider it!

At this point, looks like I'll stick with a Cowon and hope that the Z2 battery doesn't bother me as much as it does other people (I will miss only charging my i7 once a week).

UPDATE

In case anyone actually sees this thread at any point, I figured I'd update it with my experiences... The Z2 has been fantastic and the battery has not bothered me at any point. I have been able to play music for at least 12 hours in one day without the battery hitting less than 1/4 use. Charging is incredibly easy considering I use it as a replacement for my TV at night (I do recommend getting some speakers if you plan on doing the same). As with any android device, TURN ON AIRPLANE MODE when you don't need the internet.

Last edited by fmwyso; 06-04-2013 at 04:40 AM.