android
Old 04-19-2013, 12:30 AM

Red face Sansa Clip [old version] dot files

(its not the first sansa clip its the last one I forgot what kind it was)
I'm not sure what to call them but on my sansa clip i get these weird umplayable files marked " ._ song title here.mp3" It happens only when I copy my music onto a micro sd card then when the player plays from it them dotty songs pop up. The player will count these dots as files ( like:
1/200
._song title here.mp3

how do you fix this?or what is this?

offtopic : I love this site

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-19-2013, 01:23 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

Since there's a microsd card slot the player is either a Clip+ or Clip Zip. They're easy to tell apart. The Clip+ has a smaller 2 color screen and the Clip Zip has a color screen.

I don't remember anyone ever having this problem. Files that have begin with a leading "." are designated as hidden so it's not surprising the Clip is isn't able to play them. It can't play what it fully cant see. Since you're seeing them I'm guessing the database is finding them and reading the tags but the decoder can't find the file to play it. Windows isn't supposed to create files with a leading dot so the player wouldn't be set up to read them.

What USB mode are you using to transfer the files? Auto detect, MTP or MSC? You can check that under Settings=>System Settings=>USB mode. If you haven't changed the setting it's probably still set to the default, Auto Detect.

Auto Detect defaults to MTP which can sometimes cause strange things to happen depending on your operating system. You could try wiping the files, changing the USB mode to MSC and see if that helps. TBH, I'm just guessing because I haven't heard of this before.

What's causing it might be some of anything. File system corruption sometimes cause strange behavior but it usually stops file transfer because the system cant update. I've also read about malware that will cause files to hide themselves by add a dot when they get transferred. A virus and spyware scan might help, idk.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

anadentone:

Skip has assumed that you have Windows. Your message reminded me of some old threads about 'funky' files from a Mac or Linux box. So...

1) Windows, Mac, or Linux?

2) If Win, which version of Windows, and which version of Windows Media Player?

3) how are you loading the microSD card? Plug the player into the computer, or use a card reader to just plug the card into the computer?

4) What software are you using to get files onto the card?

The more info that you can provide, the better the chance that we will be able to help.

Steve

Old 04-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
anadentone:

Skip has assumed that you have Windows...
You've assumed that I assumed.

The convention of files with a leading . being hidden is something I've run into a number of time being Rockbox user that sometimes manages my DAPs using Linux. I've hit enough that it wasn't difficult to figure out what was happening here I don't have a Mac but those are also *Nix based and the leading dot designates files as hidden on those.

I've been playing around with renaming files with leading dots in Rockbox and seeing what happens when I try playing them in the OF. When I change the name in Rockbox the database doesn't refresh and tries to play the song that it thinks is there. That's sometimes resulted in the file just being skipped. Other times it crashes the player. If I rename an entire directory and don't let the OF's database refresh, it usually locks up the OF requiring a reset.

Since the time since this was posted I haven't done extensive testing so I can't say exactly what set of conditions will cause a file to be skipped or the player to crash. The only thing that has worked properly every time has been to make sure all the file and directory names don't have a leading dot and letting the database refresh.

That makes me think if the OP wants to avoid problems they need to find what's causing the leading dots. As Steve has said, posting more details would help in finding out what's happening to cause those.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You've assumed that I assumed.
I thought that any discussion about MTP and MSC was automatically a discussion of Windows, as only MSC would be selected by Mac and Lunix.

Steve

Old 04-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Nope. My experience is that in Linux there's a number of ways having a sansa in anything else other than MSC can cause MTP and autodefect to come into play. It's possible to install packages that attempt to enable MTP in Linux. The results tend to be inconsistent but the packages exist. It's also possible for a MTP connection to call the PTP packages of a Linux installation. I had one Clip that simply would not connect until I removed the PTP package. My Sonys wouldn't reliably connect either. The DCIM folder in them kept causing the OS to attempt to connect to them as a camera.

I've also found out the hard way that even though Autodefect should default to MSC if there's no MTP implementation that it doesn't always work as expected. My experience is the safest thing to do on a Mac or Linux machine is to change to MSC and lock it in. Then the connection is much less likely to have problems.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:09 PM

Let's get this straight. While not recommended, as far as I can tell a leading dot in a windows file name is accepted. I don't know why Linux should detect the clip in MTP mode, but let's deal with one factor at a time.
The problem with all such posts is we never know the full story all at once, like OS, mode of transfer, tag data etc.
We painfully extract this information piece by piece, post by post and by the time we get the last piece, we've forgotten what original question was.
You can't talk about filenames unless you are in folder mode, what you see in other modes is the tag filename or more correctly stated the title. But that may not exist so then you see the actual filename in the unknown folder. With all this confusion it's easy to guess wrong.
But to return to my original point, the leading . convention is a linux (and I assume Unix) convention and does not apply to windows, which happily excepts dots anywhere, however, one should avoid them since it might confuse the file type where only the final dot precedes the file type. Note, unlike Linux, windows doesn't like you messing with this, remove the .txt from a text file then double click and windows will tell you it doesn't know what type of file this is or how to open it. Dumb, but that's how it works.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 PM

I have windows 7 and sandisk sd card. I just plug the player into my usb port then drop and drag the songs or put the micro sd card into a an adapter and add to the computer then drop and drag. this what it looks like :

sorry for the crappy webcam

Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadentone View Post
(its not the first sansa clip its the last one I forgot what kind it was)
I'm not sure what to call them but on my sansa clip i get these weird umplayable files marked " ._ song title here.mp3" It happens only when I copy my music onto a micro sd card then when the player plays from it them dotty songs pop up. The player will count these dots as files ( like:
1/200
._song title here.mp3
These sound like Finder files that Macs insert and use. These can really cause headaches for Sansa players and their owners. You say you are using Win 7, but were any of these songs ever copied off of a Mac? Here's just one discussion on the subject that might help.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 PM

at tapeworm:
a few folders were copied from my macbook (before it died) to the sd card. The forum is ya sent is good but is there a remedy for windows users? I wonder if I coped the music to my linux harddrive ,erase the music then reload it'll get rid of it?

Old 04-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Administrator

As you already have a Linux partition it should be fairly easy. There's scripts around to bulk delete them you can find if you use search terms like "delete Mac Finder files Linux". I'm not posting one because it's my understanding that when you delete with Linux you're not getting it back if there's a mistake.

There's also paid apps for cleaning those out. I can't say how well they work as I've only had this problem problem once and used the Rockbox Disktidy plugin to get rid of the extra. The Rockbox file systems sees all the files on a player and the Disktidy plugin will delete them. I don't remember how to set up that plugin as it was a long time ago and I'm fairly certain the setup has changed.

That one time happened because I didn't disconnect properly and tons of the ghost files were left behind on the DAP. Whenever I connect to a Mac now I always empty the Trash while the DAP is still connected. That gets rid of the helper files without needing to do anything extra.