android
Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 AM

Default Clip+ RB strange battery behavior

Hi guys

First Id like to thank you for all the clip support available here, great to know a lot of people still care about this evil little box

clip+ firmware: latest 01.01.18P
rockbox: latest 3.12

So I have been having some strange behavior on charging the clip+ in RB:

First time I tried to charge it while on RB I saw no info there was a charge process so I backed out, afraid I could damage the battery (did not notice any indication of a complete charging cycle even after a few hours connected to charger).
What do I do: boot the clip+ in regular firmware and charge it from there. When done I boot in RB, showing a 100% battery. I also reset the running time and top time to 0

What happens is I get a low (4-5 hours) total run time. Weird thing is RB showing as example 9% battery (and warning) but if I boot in regular samsa firmware the battery bar shows at least about 50% battery available

Saw nothing in rockbox.org on this issue, there was a battery drain bug but that was solved over 2 years ago on a past release

What am I doing wrong ? should I perform a complete charging cycle while on RB, is it safe ?

thks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 PM

Edit: I can see the battery charging and charge complete on rockbox. But again at the end of the cycle rockbox shows about 9% while starting the low batt warning but on samsa firmware battery still have a safe 40% but then drain quickly too.

Maybe this has to do with the battery cells themselves, this happens on mobile phones too (the first half of battery life being much longer than the second half)

whats your thoughts

Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Charging with Rockbox is safe. I've charged my Rockboxed DAPs hundreds of time with no problems. I just plug them in, either to a PC or a wall charger, and leave them. I don't really keep track of how exactly long it takes but usually they're done after about an hour or so. Charging them from empty takes longer but it's rare that I run one flat.

I battery benchmarked my oldest Clip+ today. At a guess it's about 2 1/2 years old. I was surprised to find that it's still able to get 10 hrs. 41 min. from a charge. I hadn't been using it very much recently and thought it had lost more than that. I think it's pretty remarkable a player that's been charged as many times and taken the beating this one has can still last that long.

I don't know how the charge levels compare in the sandisk firmware and Rockbox. It's been a long time since I've booted this player to the OF. Once Rockbox USB became usable for me I stopped thinking about that. The battery life I get from Rockbox was so much better I stopped caring what happened there.

If you're concerned about the battery life you can run a battery bench and see what you're really getting. If you're only getting 4 hours with a new player and decent quality mp3 files it would seem something isn't right.
Attached Files
File Type: txt battery_bench.txt (43.1 KB, 7 views)

Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 PM

4 hours in rockbox but strangely some more on the regular firmware
but meanwhile yes I did a full charge while on rb lets see how it holds up

I do also listen a lot to radio and that drains the battery probably 30% quicker

I ll do a bench just have to find some time for that lol

On other subject is there any guidelines available to learn how to create shorcuts on rockbox ? user manual is not very helpful on this

rgds

Old 02-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Administrator

The manual will tell you more about shortcuts than I can as I don't use them. There's just not much to it afaik. You browse to an item , long select on it to see if it brings up the context menu and select -Add To Shortcuts if the option is available.

Not everything brings up the context menu and not every item can be added to the shortcut menu. A little experimenting will let you know what items can and can't be added to your shortcuts.

That's mostly for creating them using the Context menu. I know there's ways to extend the usefulness of that by manually editing the /.rockbox/shortcuts.txt file http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...#x8-1010005.14 but it seemed too much work for too little benefit when I looked into it, YMMV. By the time the Shortcuts menu came along I was used to doing things a different way and changing what was working just hasn't seemed worth the effort.