android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Off Topic > Random Chat

Old 02-13-2013, 11:40 AM

Default Have you or will you upload all your music to the Cloud?

I decided to do this today after a lot of thought.

I have a Nexus 7 and I got tired of swapping music out using the usb cable and my computer - I'd rather it was all in the Cloud and I could just quickly download the album I want.

I'm thinking in the future I would like an iPod Touch (not the 64) and would like about half the space available for videos, apps and photos. With an app I can, again, just quickly download what I want.

Coming from a 24GbSansa Clip+, I could never get all my music on it anyway. I'll still keep all my flac files, of course, on my laptop plus a portable HD.

So I went with Google Music which was free but required my debit card for activation. Currently uploading 60Gb or 12000 mp3 files. I may have a bit of a wait

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I won't, at least not anytime soon, because I have a plethora of DAPs and everything in my collection that I would want to listen to is on at least one of them.

In the future, that would depend on the availability of wifi, or if the US-based carriers stop raping their customers with excessive rates and caps on data plans.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I agree w/Marvin, I won't be doing it anytime soon. From my experience the Google Music takes a really long time to upload.

Because I don't have a data plan with a 4G company, the cloud isn't as useful for me because I depend on wi-fi.

I do however have some albums on my Amazon Cloud Player from their new Auto-Rip feature.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 02-13-2013, 02:56 PM

I'm getting there. I'm giving Chrome OS a go as my primary computing os, while using Android to supplement my connectivity on the go.

So far, so good. But then again, I'm using Spotify fot most of my music needs.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
I'm getting there. I'm giving Chrome OS a go as my primary computing os, while using Android to supplement my connectivity on the go.

So far, so good. But then again, I'm using Spotify fot most of my music needs.
This is just my opinion, but I don't like Spotify. The fact that you are required to sign in to Facebook, and your friends will always know what you're listening to, is a deal breaker for me.

When Spotify allows you to sign up without Facebook, then I'll take a look at it.

Retired Devices:

Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 PM

I like the fact that it's free, and that I'll be able to access all my important music files from any device with a browser, basically, plus have unlimited downloads to a desktop.

Uploading is slow - and I'm doing it through my phone as my Wi-Fi is on the blink - but I've still uploaded 3000 files in a few hours. Some don't need to be uploaded, though, Google can match them with what it already has. I'm going to leave it overnight.

If I get an iPod Touch, there is already a Google-certified app I can use. I'm going to experiment with my Nexus 7 tomorrow (where there is Wi-Fi) and see how good the Google Music app is, how quick is it to browse, stream and download from 12000 files

Old 02-13-2013, 04:55 PM

I will eventually just to have a nice backup. But right now i'm too impatient to upload that amount of data

Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Right now the cloud isn't for me. I feel better having my tunes & stuff on me. You see, there are times when I'm in the NYC Subway System, and there's no 3/4G or WiFi connectivity. Using the cloud, in my situation, is unrealistic.

Plus, given all the severe storms that have been hitting us here on the east coast, I think the possibility of being cut off and left high & dry is a soon to be reality. Not that I'd really give a shit about listening to Beyonce and dancing my ass off at that moment. It's just, you know, "you never know".

Old 02-13-2013, 05:48 PM

Giving google or facebook anything isn't free.

Amazon gets a pass, because I'm obviously buying things from them.

Like Marvin said, it could get expensive quick. The disaster recovery factor would be nice if my house went up in smoke, but it will be awhile before I do it.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Not that I'd really give a shit about listening to Beyonce and dancing my ass off at that moment. It's just, you know, "you never know".
So you've been practicing this, have you?

lol-034.gif

Old 02-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
So you've been practicing this, have you?

Attachment 12101

Retired Devices:

Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Im older than both of ya, and I can still dance better. You bloody sad sacks,...

Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Im older than both of ya, and I can still dance better. You bloody sad sacks,...
I have no problem admitting that I can't dance. Even back when I drank and would actually try, I still couldn't....lol.

I'm glad you can shake your groove thing....is that how you roped in Mrs. TDS?

Old 02-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lol I can't dance...funny though how a thread about the cloud turned into dancing .

Retired Devices:

Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Lol I can't dance...funny though how a thread about the cloud turned into dancing .
Anybody dancing on a cloud yet?

For the record, I can't see loading TONS of stuff to the cloud. Several years ago (2007 maybe), my wife needed one small spreadsheet when visiting family, so we used the cloud (actually Google Drive) instead of having her take a laptop. Worked very well. Could have used a flash drive, don't know why we didn't.

BTW, is Dropbox considered part of the Cloud? We're using it to share between 2 laptops and 3 androids, plus sharing some other stuff with friends & family.

Steve

Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Old 02-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Anybody dancing on a cloud yet?

For the record, I can't see loading TONS of stuff to the cloud. Several years ago (2007 maybe), my wife needed one small spreadsheet when visiting family, so we used the cloud (actually Google Drive) instead of having her take a laptop. Worked very well. Could have used a flash drive, don't know why we didn't.

BTW, is Dropbox considered part of the Cloud? We're using it to share between 2 laptops and 3 androids, plus sharing some other stuff with friends & family.

Steve
I'd say Dropbox is considered part of the cloud.

And I agree...the cloud is convenient for small things such as documents. In fact, my school has switched entirely to Google Docs for office stuff and I've been just fine with it. All my work is stored online, and I can access it from home when I need to (as well as on my iPod and soon to come Nexus 7). Of course the Google apps are not as advanced as Microsoft Office, but it gets the job done, and it's free.

Retired Devices:

Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
It's always TDS' fault when we go off topic.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
It's always TDS' fault when we go off topic.
Sure,...blame it on the white guy,...

Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Dropbox is definitely part of the cloud. They bought AudioGalaxy recently so it seems they may be working on some type of storage/streaming strategy.

I don't consider the cloud a sensible backup solution. Access can be taken away by someone flipping a switch and there's nothing I can do about it. That thought alone is enough from making that any part of my backup plans.

I've got a few GB here and there of some music uploaded but nothing major. Even that's a copy of a copy. I have all my stuff backed up on physical media that's off site from the original. A backup that can get caught in the same disaster as the original isn't a backup in my book. In my case it isn't even in the same city. I have a HDD I leave with a relative and do an incremental backup when I visit a couple of times a year. If anything happens on my end all they need to do is ship me the one they have and all I'll be missing is what I added since the last time I was there.

I've got nothing against cloud storage as a way to be able to conveniently access media I've bought. There's just no way I'm going to trust the cloud to hold my music and risk losing it if some judge or government agency decides a contract or license isn't what it should be.