android
Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 PM

Default New highend mp3 player recommendation

My cowon s9 is broken, so I need a new mp3 player. I'm currently torn between the sony z1050 and the ipod touch 5g, which one should I buy? They both offer a lot of thing, and cost rougly about the same.

This is what I've read about them. The sony is superior in the audio department, but the ipod offers more in the screen and camera. I want something with a nice screen, good batterylife, smooth screen and it should be capable of using the internet. Should I buy one of them, or just wait to see if sony (or cowon) comes up with a new mp3 player? Or just buy sony or ipod, I haven't read a lot of good stuff about the cowon z2 either. I just want something that is comfortable to use, so I don't want something that is complicated and is clunky.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-04-2013, 02:23 PM

The Sony Z1060 with the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10:

Classic tell-tale of a high output impedance. The iPod Touch 5, however, was measured at just 0.75Ω. I played with one for 15 minutes with my Shure SE425's, and it sounds great. It's also very sexy, and the player's UI is easy and convenient.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yup, the iPod touch 5G is excellent. There's no reason not to get one.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the answers. My biggest concern with the ipod is itunes. I really don't like a program to be able to put my music into the player. I don't like the fact that it doesn't play flac, but I guess that I can download a app for that. Is there anyway you can use the "drag and drop" method on ipod, and with installing programs on it?

Old 02-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhetfield View Post
Is there anyway you can use the "drag and drop" method on ipod, and with installing programs on it?
Yes.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Yup, the iPod touch 5G is excellent. There's no reason not to get one.
i have a reason itunes is a piece of garbage and i'm a linux user.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
i have a reason itunes is a piece of garbage and i'm a linux user.
I also use Linux,...but that's my problem, so I also use a comp (or 3 or 4) that use a Windows based OS. Annnddd iTunes is no longer a requirement,...but you're well read enough to know that one,...right?

Now, are you speaking for the OP, are you providing assistance, helping out maybe? Please, give a suggestion or two,...

Old 02-04-2013, 05:49 PM

So I can plug in an iPod touch now and just select all my files and paste them onto an iPod now? Or do you still need a third part app which defeats the purpose? Also nowadays op doesn't have much choice. Either he gets another Cowon or buy a high end Sony android device. That's about all the options nowadays

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
So I can plug in an iPod touch now and just select all my files and paste them onto an iPod now? Or do you still need a third part app which defeats the purpose? Also nowadays op doesn't have much choice. Either he gets another Cowon or buy a high end Sony android device. That's about all the options nowadays

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2
Dude, learn to read. The OP asked specifics, and skamp gave him an answer. Now, I see you feel offended and are on a trolling mission. You didn't direct any comments at him, now did you?

As for the Cowon, with the exception of their highly buggy Android devices, I think they're a great suggestion. But NOT Android,...and the Sony's aren't living up to their rep - so they're a !!!FAIL!!!

Now, not one of us suggested a Samsung Galaxy Player,...I think the OP should also consider that line. Good battery life (some with removable batteries), expandable memory, straight up drag-&-drop, all the Android apps at your disposal, and a fantastically low price vs Apple, Sony, or Cowon.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sams...w=1024&bih=672

I believe they're even a joy to use with Linux,...unlike a Cowon which have been known to BRICK on occasion,... Now, there is a workaround, but the OP didn't ask about Linux.

PS: keep our personal issues with each other out of people's threads please,...we're derailing someone's topic. Not Kool,...

Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Dude, learn to read. The OP asked specifics, and skamp gave him an answer. Now, I see you feel offended and are on a trolling mission. You didn't direct any comments at him, now did you?

As for the Cowon, with the exception of their highly buggy Android devices, I think they're a great suggestion. But NOT Android,...and the Sony's aren't living up to their rep - so they're a !!!FAIL!!!

Now, not one of us suggested a Samsung Galaxy Player,...I think the OP should also consider that line. Good battery life (some with removable batteries), expandable memory, straight up drag-&-drop, all the Android apps at your disposal, and a fantastically low price vs Apple, Sony, or Cowon.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sams...w=1024&bih=672

I believe they're even a joy to use with Linux,...unlike a Cowon which have been known to BRICK on occasion,... Now, there is a workaround, but the OP didn't ask about Linux.

PS: keep our personal issues with each other out of people's threads please,...we're derailing someone's topic. Not Kool,...
You must be reading through some weird lines. I was asking a serious question. I would love to get a 64gb ipod touch some day because I listen to a bunch of podcasts and would love a great media player with large capactiy and wifi for downloading podcasts. But the fact of the matter is that I refuse to use any kind of syncing program for music. And as far as the link skamp provided has to do with flac files on the ipod touch. No where in that link do i see anything about dragging and dropping music onto the device.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
You must be reading through some weird lines. I was asking a serious question. I would love to get a 64gb ipod touch some day because I listen to a bunch of podcasts and would love a great media player with large capactiy and wifi for downloading podcasts. But the fact of the matter is that I refuse to use any kind of syncing program for music. And as far as the link skamp provided has to do with flac files on the ipod touch. No where in that link do i see anything about dragging and dropping music onto the device.
It's hard to tell what lines your reading 99% of the time,...so it's hard to tell when your asking a question or simply being yourself.

The way to get FLAC to play on the touch is via drag & drop I believe, and using an app ONLY. iTunes won't transfer FLAC files to the device. Podcasts need software,...any will do nowadays. AND iTunes doesn't require a person to buy their music from Apple,...it's only to sync if desired. People just dislike it because of it's past incarnations.

Take a look in the Linux repositories for an iTunes replacement. I've seen some software that may suit your needs. But you won't get drag & drop easily with an iPod touch. A Rockboxed iPod video or classic,...yes. A touch, honestly, is asking for miracles.

Besides, I have over 30,000 tracks in my music library. There's no desire to manually manage that on my part. And the Genius playlists iTunes makes are actually excellent. I'm a playlist lover,...iTunes surprised the hell out of me with Genius. One of the few features they got right. Sony's version sux,...and any other self-generating media sync software I've tried. They are all pitiful,...sadly. But, I do use Sony's MediaGo sync software to put iTunes playlists on all my other devices, so Sony is the only company that got that feature correct.

Dude, there's tons of stuff out there to try & experiment with. That especially includes Linux. Just stop writing off devices your not fond of, because there's ways to get most of them to do exactly what you want. Sometimes there will be compromises, and nothing is set in stone.

PS: I'm half asleep, so I might have made even less sense than I normally do. Please forgive me if I've not aggravated anyone in the normal manner. I'm off to sleep,...g'nite!!!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
It's hard to tell what lines your reading 99% of the time,...so it's hard to tell when your asking a question or simply being yourself.

The way to get FLAC to play on the touch is via drag & drop I believe, and using an app ONLY. iTunes won't transfer FLAC files to the device. Podcasts need software,...any will do nowadays. AND iTunes doesn't require a person to buy their music from Apple,...it's only to sync if desired. People just dislike it because of it's past incarnations.

Take a look in the Linux repositories for an iTunes replacement. I've seen some software that may suit your needs. But you won't get drag & drop easily with an iPod touch. A Rockboxed iPod video or classic,...yes. A touch, honestly, is asking for miracles.

Besides, I have over 30,000 tracks in my music library. There's no desire to manually manage that on my part. And the Genius playlists iTunes makes are actually excellent. I'm a playlist lover,...iTunes surprised the hell out of me with Genius. One of the few features they got right. Sony's version sux,...and any other self-generating media sync software I've tried. They are all pitiful,...sadly. But, I do use Sony's MediaGo sync software to put iTunes playlists on all my other devices, so Sony is the only company that got that feature correct.

Dude, there's tons of stuff out there to try & experiment with. That especially includes Linux. Just stop writing off devices your not fond of, because there's ways to get most of them to do exactly what you want. Sometimes there will be compromises, and nothing is set in stone.

PS: I'm half asleep, so I might have made even less sense than I normally do. Please forgive me if I've not aggravated anyone in the normal manner. I'm off to sleep,...g'nite!!!
but i am fond of the iPod touch. i'm just not fond of the whole media manager idea. it's like apple is forcing people to use itunes for syncing just because more people would be likely to buy stuff why they are in there. like i said i'd buy an ipod touch tommorow if i plugged it in and it showed up as a flash drive on my computer. edit if you jailbroke an ipod touch would it allow copy paste file transfer? or is there a cli program like adb for android devices on ios devices?

Last edited by mamamia88; 02-04-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 PM

Isn't anyone going to suggest that the OP buy an ipod and put Rockbox on it? I would seem the obvious solution to (understandable and praiseworthy) distaste for itunes. Or did I miss someone suggesting this?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhetfield View Post
I want something with a nice screen, good batterylife, smooth screen and it should be capable of using the internet.
What you missed was the desire for 'net capability. Guess no one saw a reason to suggest a DAP that won't fill Jhetfield's wishlist.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 AM

Maybe a galaxy player 5.0 op? They have the highest rated battery of the line, nice big screen, and wifi. I can't comment on sound quality though since I don't own one and that is subjective anyay. They also have micro sd slots for expansion and micro sd cards are pretty cheap. Also it's able to do mass storage transfer so no itunes.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
And as far as the link skamp provided has to do with flac files on the ipod touch. No where in that link do i see anything about dragging and dropping music onto the device.
Then you didn't read my link. It's right there: 2nd paragraph, 2nd sentence:

Quote:
Drag files (not folders) into the Documents area and they will be copied to FLAC Player.
There's even a "4. Drag Files Here" label on the screenshot at the top of the page.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post

There's even a "4. Drag Files Here" label on the screenshot at the top of the page.
Thank you sir!!!

As for jailbreaking an iPod touch, I'll find out details this weekend when I jailbreak mine.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post

opening itunes and dragging files onto the device is decent if you like itunes but it's a complete rubbish workaround if the whole point in wanting drag and drop is to avoid itunes. you are running an app within itunes itself and then dragging files into that. that isn't what i'm talking about. i'm talking about plugging it into your pc and you open it with your file browser of choice and having access to the entire file tree of the system and being able to copy files directly onto the player without out any additional media players or apps.

Last edited by mamamia88; 02-05-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
but i am fond of the iPod touch. i'm just not fond of the whole media manager idea. it's like apple is forcing people to use itunes for syncing just because more people would be likely to buy stuff why they are in there.
That is a crap argument if I ever saw one. For two years now I have had iPods and iTunes, and up until about two weeks ago, I had never bought any music off iTunes....and I only did this time because I got a gift card for X-mas, and their movies are still DRM-crippled, unlike the music.

iTunes is not that bad to deal with really. Granted, I have two iPods now running Rockbox so iTunes isn't necessary, but the program is simple enough to use as long as you control it and don't let it control you.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm seeing nitpicking for nitpicking's sake. And, just to screw with me,...nice try.