android
Old 12-27-2012, 02:41 PM

Question Force audio out laptop's USB for outboard DAC?

I have an HP laptop running the Realtek HD audio driver set 6.0.1.5869. I use this as a HTPC connected to my Yamaha AV receiver featuring Burr-Brown DACs. When streaming audio, I would like to force the output from the laptop through its USB port and on to a Yamaha set of of inputs. I intend to do this by way of a male USB to male RCA cable (commonly available).

How can I achieve this using the Realtek SW user-interface? If I click the [Digital Output] tab and select [Set Default Device], will this suffice?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-27-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdriver View Post
When streaming audio, I would like to force the output from the laptop through its USB port and on to a Yamaha set of of inputs. I intend to do this by way of a male USB to male RCA cable (commonly available).
I have never seen USB audio being transmitted over an RCA cable. Could you give an example of such cable... Also which input on the receiver were you planning to use?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:50 PM

Here's an example of the cable; I won't be using the yellow (video) RCA lead, as the audio is carried over the white and red lines. I plan on connecting to the A/V receiver's CD-R inputs, as they're open.

http://www.tmart.com/1.5m-USB-Male-A...tm_source=base

Old 12-27-2012, 05:18 PM

I don't see how that could work. The red+white RCA is an analog audio connector type. USB audio is digital and requires that the receiving device specifically supports that type of audio. I don't think too many a/v receivers out there actually do support USB audio in fact.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:24 PM

I think I've discovered how to force all audio (not just streaming video) to the receiver via the laptop's HDMI cable. I'm going to try this during the long weekend ahead.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This is taking a whole lot more effort to explain then I have the time for right now, but basically you can't do what your hoping to do with just a cable and a standard Laptop. That Cable is some kind of franken cable, either a complete scam, or then its been taken out of some janky products packaging and is being sold on its own. You won't find such a cable from any reputable cable vendors selection (Check monoprice.com)

You need a USB sound card to connect the laptop to the receivers RCA inputs, and if you did that you'd basically be circumventing the receivers DACs anyway. You could basically use the laptops headphone out to do the same. Although I would wholeheartedly recommend an external USB sound card, no matter how cheap over using any laptops on board sound card. No matter how HD they claim it to be :P

I'd recommend looking into using an HDMI port to send audio over if your laptop and receiver have such ports. Otherwise just buy a 30$ USB sound card with the kind of ports you want.

*Edit* Oh and FiiO makes some really nice USB soundcards, the E10 and D3 come to mind, i'm sure you can find reviews on them here.

*Edit edit* And just noticed you figured the HDMI thing out while i was typing this post

Last edited by Jack4L; 12-27-2012 at 05:41 PM.