android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Old 02-02-2013, 07:15 AM

Default Looking for a mp3 player (~32gb, long battery life, cheap and small)

Hey,
looking for a good MP3 player for a backpackers trip.
What's important? (by order)
-Long battery life (buses and so)
-capacity (~32 Gb)
-Price (not expensive, up to ~150USD)
-Dimensions (small)

does an mp3 like it exists?
thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-02-2013, 09:12 AM

You could get a clip and a 32gb card and have still have leftover but not sure the battery would be good enough for you. But hell you could get 2 and still be under budget and even carrying 2 of them would be lighter than other mp3 players. Just take the sd card out of one and pop it in the other if it happens to die.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:27 AM

And then you run into the database refresh. Ten minutes later, it's done and you can actually listen to it.

Yeah, might not seem like a big deal, but after a while, that wait gets annoying.

Plus there is the matter of handling a tiny little microSD card and losing it when you drop it. It will happen. No matter how careful you are, you will drop it and then you had better be lucky enough to find it right away.

Other than that, though, the Clip line is pretty good, so go for it.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
And then you run into the database refresh. Ten minutes later, it's done and you can actually listen to it.

Yeah, might not seem like a big deal, but after a while, that wait gets annoying.

Plus there is the matter of handling a tiny little microSD card and losing it when you drop it. It will happen. No matter how careful you are, you will drop it and then you had better be lucky enough to find it right away.

Other than that, though, the Clip line is pretty good, so go for it.
you could fix that with rockbox. no refresh whatsoever. but yeah those things are easy to lose but luckily i haven't managed to do it yet. just press carefully with your thumbnail and have the slot face away from the ground. i did have it pop out violently the other day and have it bounce off the wall and land right next to me thankfully

Old 02-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedoded View Post
Hey,
looking for a good MP3 player for a backpackers trip.
What's important? (by order)
-Long battery life (buses and so)
-capacity (~32 Gb)
-Price (not expensive, up to ~150USD)
-Dimensions (small)

does an mp3 like it exists?
thanks
A Cowon C2 can be had from Amazon.com for $120.99 right now. It's got long battery life, solid build quality, excellent sound quality and sound enhancements, it comes in 16gb and can take a microSD card for higher capacity.

This is a better deal for someone going on a trip, via bus or train, who won't have access to a wall socket for charging. I own a D2+, and the battery life is better than any Sony, Samsung, Sansa, or Apple device.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
This is a better deal for someone going on a trip, via bus or train, who won't have access to a wall socket for charging.
You can get a portable charger to recharge pretty much any player without a wall socket. However, it means carrying batteries (probably AA) or ensuring that the internal battery of the charger is fully charged pre-trip.

If you buy your Samsung Tab 2 from a cell phone provider you may be dependent on them for update, I have the Wi-Fi version so could update (I haven't yet) at anytime. The tablet is currently telling me that the update is available.

Steve

Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
You can get a portable charger to recharge pretty much any player without a wall socket. However, it means carrying batteries (probably AA) or ensuring that the internal battery of the charger is fully charged pre-trip.

If you buy your Samsung Tab 2 from a cell phone provider you may be dependent on them for update, I have the Wi-Fi version so could update (I haven't yet) at anytime. The tablet is currently telling me that the update is available.

Steve
Most people don't want to carry a portable charger, and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is a tablet,....where did the tablet come from? Then Rockbox was brought up,...not everyone wants to mess with an alternative OS.

The C2 is the best sounding, simple to use, has the longest running battery, and is perfect for travel. No portable battery chargers required,...

Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Most people don't want to carry a portable charger, and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is a tablet,....where did the tablet come from? Then Rockbox was brought up,...not everyone wants to mess with an alternative OS.

The C2 is the best sounding, simple to use, has the longest running battery, and is perfect for travel. No portable battery chargers required,...
For once will have to agree with The Darkside. For something with a long battery and amount of storage the op needs he probably won't find it anywhere else. Too bad sony doesn't make a 32gb player for less than $300. From the specs the Galaxy Player 5 get's great battery but would that be too big to travel with?

Old 02-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yup, I wish Sony had an inexpensive 32gb player as well. I'm more of a Sony fan than Cowon,...

Old 02-03-2013, 04:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
A Cowon C2 can be had from Amazon.com for $120.99 right now. It's got long battery life, solid build quality, excellent sound quality and sound enhancements, it comes in 16gb and can take a microSD card for higher capacity.

This is a better deal for someone going on a trip, via bus or train, who won't have access to a wall socket for charging. I own a D2+, and the battery life is better than any Sony, Samsung, Sansa, or Apple device.
But doesn't the C2 have a proprietary cable?

If he loses it wouldn't it be hard to find another?

Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
But doesn't the C2 have a proprietary cable?

If he loses it wouldn't it be hard to find another?
Here's a replacement cable, easily available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/COWON-USB-Cabl.../dp/B001PNX3VO

With a little eBay searching it can possibly be found even cheaper.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Sorry replying to two msgs at once, and watching TV.

Steve

Last edited by FreeZ5; 02-04-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
SOrry r4eplying to two msgs at once, and watching TV.

Steve
Lol!!! I was wondering,...I make the same boo-boo's all time.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Here's a replacement cable, easily available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/COWON-USB-Cabl.../dp/B001PNX3VO

With a little eBay searching it can possibly be found even cheaper.

But he is going on a backpacking trip. He may not have any way to get one online

Old 02-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
+1. 55hr battery life, u aint gonna find that easily for under $150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
But he is going on a backpacking trip. He may not have any way to get one online
Simple he buys both now before he leaves...
Look the C2 is probably the best player for his needs seeing as he could be on the road along time. I recall being in a bus for 32hrs nonstop in oz at one time, so the sansa range prolly ain't gonna hack it. The C2 ticks all the boxes.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There are low priced usb battery packs though, and the Clip+ will play while charging via battery pack. The Veho pebble XT for example is $30 on Amazon with free shipping. It has a 5,000 mah battery, 17x that of the Clip+, so I guess you could probably get around 10 full charges of the Clip+ battery with it, or around 120 hours of play time. This is more than double what the Cowon C2 gives. There are also battery packs like the Tekkeon mp1580 that run on 4 AA nihm hatteries, however these are heavier(with 4 batteries installed) , larger than the Veho Pebble, and hold less power, although one could buy extra sets of nimh batteries to use with the Tekkeon mp1580.

There are larger capacity battery packs than the Veho Pebble, however they are much larger, much heavier, and much more expensive.The Veho pebble is quite compact. It looks like the smallest 5,000 mah battery pack I have found.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 AM

The C2 isn't particularly small or light.

Then you have the problems of a sub-par screen plus Cowon's shitty last-decade OS.

I tried one out and there were too many negatives for me.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Then what would you recommend? What do you use for your portable music that fits the OP's criteria? Letting us know that would be more helpful than just knocking other recommendations.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Then what would you recommend? What do you use for your portable music that fits the OP's criteria? Letting us know that would be more helpful than just knocking other recommendations.
It seems the only way he can communicate is by belittling something OR someone. That's why we tend to (mostly) ignore him.

As for the C2, I think this honest review covers it: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70828

Old 02-04-2013, 01:00 PM

Default Wow! Thanks

Hey
Thank you all ...
I'll get to the store and see the C2 to decide. both options seems quite good (better than what I had in mind...)

Oded