android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM

Default IEMS that are good for both podcasts and music?

I have a pair of meelectronics m21 and they sound great for music. They are just too boomy when listening to podcasts. Now i really don't want to mess around with equalizers and crap just for podcasts. I have other pairs that sound fine for podcasts i just don't feel like carrying multiple pairs of headphones in my pocket. Any suggestions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 PM

You have 2 choices and you seem to want to discard them both. It's not that big of a deal to change EQ settings when listening to podcasts. But you aren't going to find any headphones (at least not in my opinion) that sound good for both the very limited frequency range of someone's voice in a podcast and the full frequency spectrum of music.

Additionally, generally speaking podcasts are going to be spoken by different people who's voices are higher or lower, crisper or more nasal, etc. so sometimes it may be necessary to boost (or cut back) an EQ setting to hear it clearly. This is why an EQ exists in the 1st place, to compensate and/or color the sound of whatever it is you are listening to to your own hearing preferences.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:14 PM

Alright then any suggestions for tweaking the eq for voice? I would prefer just to set one up specifically for podcasts and not mess with it if possible.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 PM

I would pick one of the more common ones you listen too, play around with the settings untill you hit that "sweet spot" and just remember those settings for next time. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're using Rockbox can't you save custom EQ settings like this?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:44 PM

I have both a walkman e-series and 2 rockboxed players. using the walkman right now and they give you 2 customs and a few presets. playing around with the customs right now. if i could get 2 good customs for podcasts that wouldn't be too bad.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I dislike most EQs (and I find that SanDisk EQ in the Clips pretty atrocious). My various Shure IEM's have been fine with both podcasts and music.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
I would pick one of the more common ones you listen too, play around with the settings untill you hit that "sweet spot" and just remember those settings for next time. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're using Rockbox can't you save custom EQ settings like this?
You most certainly can.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
...It's not that big of a deal to change EQ settings when listening to podcasts.
Quote:
...Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're using Rockbox can't you save custom EQ settings like this?
You're exactly right. The ability to save presets this way is one of the strongest points of Rockbox for my uses. EQ presets are just some of what can be saved.

All you need to do is save the settings you come up with for your podcasts as a .cfg file and name it something you remember. Whenever you want to load your podcast headphone settings you "play" that .cfg file and you're all set. If you save your normal settings all you do is "play" that .cfg file to revert to your earlier settings.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the confirmations. Even though I don't find I need to use the EQ even with my Rockboxed players, I thought I had read that this was a RB option. Thanks also for the simple explanation of how to do it. Sometimes the RB manual can "overindulge" on information to the point of confusing the bejeebers out of some people.