android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 02-16-2010, 09:51 PM

Default Zune software all of a sudden stopped recognizing the zune

Alright so a couple of days ago I was using my zune on my 360 to listen to some music. Later that day I hooked it into my computer because I downloaded some more music. The software booted up like normal but it never detected the device. I unhooked it and hooked it back up and nothing. I went to the help section on the software and did every one of the tips on there. Eventually they told me that they would send a ups sticker so I could send it in. I decided to go down to a friends and see if it worked on his computer and sure enough it did. Ive tried restarting the computer and the zune, Ive tried reinstalling the drivers, Ive tried other usb ports which seem to work for every other device I have. I would most appreciate any help.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-20-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingoTStarr8t8 View Post
Alright so a couple of days ago I was using my zune on my 360 to listen to some music. Later that day I hooked it into my computer because I downloaded some more music. The software booted up like normal but it never detected the device. I unhooked it and hooked it back up and nothing. I went to the help section on the software and did every one of the tips on there. Eventually they told me that they would send a ups sticker so I could send it in. I decided to go down to a friends and see if it worked on his computer and sure enough it did. Ive tried restarting the computer and the zune, Ive tried reinstalling the drivers, Ive tried other usb ports which seem to work for every other device I have. I would most appreciate any help.

Thanks
Have you tried reinstalling the Zune software? How about clearing the firmware and then reconnecting to see if that would fix it? Have you tried a different cable to connect it to see if it's the cable's fault?

Old 02-25-2010, 12:56 PM

I've had nothing but trouble with the Zune software. You might need to uninstall and reinstall the software.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:25 PM

Is the Zune itself working? Does it charge despite the lack of connectivity?

Old 02-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Thanks
Welcome to the forums. The only thing I can suggest is uninstalling the software and installing it again. Let us know if it works. Good luck,

-McDougal

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 02-25-2010, 03:24 PM

Have you tried wirelessly syncing? This won't solve the problem you have with the Zune Software recognizing your Zune HD, but it will allow you to sync your music assuming it works.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 PM

Alright none of those worked, but I did restore my computer to a previous date and that seemed to work fine. Dont know what happened just hope it doesnt happen again.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 PM

FYI uninstalling the Zune software Not EVERYTHING will be deleted. You need to download a zune software program that erases everything... Program is used to solve this problem... Forgot what's its called but google it.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:15 PM

I am having the same problem, and wouldn't want to restore my computer, unless completely necessary. I reported of this on the FB app thread.

Anyone else has experienced this problem?

Old 03-04-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
FYI uninstalling the Zune software Not EVERYTHING will be deleted. You need to download a zune software program that erases everything... Program is used to solve this problem... Forgot what's its called but google it.
You're talking about UnZoone

Old 03-04-2010, 06:56 PM

I'm suddenly having the same problem. It worked fine at first but now nothing. unzoone, reinstalling sotware, updating drivers, system restore - none of it works. The zune device itself has started freezing up on me too. I knew I should have got an S9 instead.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Alright none of those worked, but I did restore my computer to a previous date and that seemed to work fine. Dont know what happened just hope it doesnt happen again.
Awesome dude!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
I am having the same problem, and wouldn't want to restore my computer, unless completely necessary. I reported of this on the FB app thread.
Is there a yellow exclamation point under portables when you open up device manager?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew317 View Post
I'm suddenly having the same problem. It worked fine at first but now nothing. unzoone, reinstalling sotware, updating drivers, system restore - none of it works. The zune device itself has started freezing up on me too. I knew I should have got an S9 instead.
Can you get it to work with another pc? If not then I would either exchange it or refund your money if you can. Regular freezing is not a good sign.

Last edited by Machiventa; 03-04-2010 at 08:54 PM.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post

Is there a yellow exclamation point under portables when you open up device manager?
There is one. What is the problem and solution then?

Old 03-05-2010, 04:10 PM

^ with your Zune connected right-click the exclamation point and select Uninstall. Then reconnect your Zune and let the drivers reinstall. That should do the trick.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:15 AM

I formatted mine which I really didn't want to do but so far it's done the trick. The software lost all the album art I added which I don't understand.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:22 AM

Wow, Thanks a ton, it worked. So anyone has any idea of why it happened or what was the problem?

Machiventa, did you experience this same problem?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
^ with your Zune connected right-click the exclamation point and select Uninstall. Then reconnect your Zune and let the drivers reinstall. That should do the trick.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew317 View Post
I formatted mine which I really didn't want to do but so far it's done the trick. The software lost all the album art I added which I don't understand.
Glad you got it working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
Wow, Thanks a ton, it worked. So anyone has any idea of why it happened or what was the problem?

Machiventa, did you experience this same problem?

Thanks
You're welcome, that's awesome. Yeah it happened to me too, no idea what caused it. Maybe a new program installation caused something to go wrong.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:56 PM

Hi guys. I know this is an old thread but I am having the same problem with my Zune and don't know what to do.

Here are the facts....

1)I am running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

2)Zune has the latest firmware and I'm running the latest version of the Zune Software

3)Upon plugging in my Zune, my PC and Windows recognizes the device properly. It even shows up as my name "Isamu" in Hardware Devices.

4)Plugging in my Zune also starts and activates the Zune software. However, Zune software does not see the device at all and the icon is grayed out saying no connection.

5)I have only started having this problem recently. Before, the software recognized the zune with no problems. All of a sudden it's doing this.

6)I have tried the following...
A)Uninstalling the Zune device drivers, restarting PC and letting windows re-install the drivers
B)Uninstalling the Zune software completely using "Un-zoone", then re-installing the latest version
C)Plugging the device into three different USB ports
E)Resetting the Zune itself numerous times

NONE of these methods have worked!

Finally, I tried plugging in and using the zune on my laptop, and for some reason it works perfectly. Only on my desktop does it not work.

Someone please advise me on what else I can try to get this thing working on my desktop. It's driving me nuts!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 PM

Welcome to forums.

You are correct, it is an old thread. The better thing to do is start a new thread and reference the old thread. Now to address your concern...

Sounds like you have done all the troubleshooting steps you can. I don't have W7 64-bit, so it may or may not have to do with the 32-bit vs 64-bit version. Is your laptop using 64-bit, too? If it isn't then it is a 32-bit vs 64-bit issue.

I would have guessed the cable was bad, but you saying you tried it on another PC/Laptop and it working dispensed that theory.

When connecting is the Zune on or off? Same thing with the software, is it open? Try connecting to the PC when the device is off and the software is off. Also connect it with the Zune off and the software on. Do you get the same result for both situations? If the Zune starts or software turns on then you know you are getting 'some' connection.
With knowledge, comes great power.
With power, comes great responsibility.
With responsibility, comes great wisdom.

Last edited by JSP62; 01-31-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: grammar errors

Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 AM

Yes to all of your questions. I am getting 'some' connection because the software engages and runs upon plugging in the unit. Dont think it's a 32bit vs 64bit issue since both of my machines are running 64bit.