android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Old 01-25-2013, 05:02 AM

Default Which DAP to get next? Or should I still stick to the Cowon z2?

So I had sent my COWON z2 32GB player off for repair as it had Wi-Fi problems. But I was completely thrown off when I was given a brand new one the next day, all boxed up unopened.
All I did was just send the z2 player with nothing else. Amazing customer service at 'advancedmp3players'!

So what should I do about this Android based DAP?
I'm thinking of possibly having a change of scene and get something different.
The z2 is still worth a decent bag of money, and new fully boxed it should fetch a good price.
Ever since the Cowon x5 (old but such a beautiful player!) I've not looked at any other brand since as a primary DAP.
So maybe I should ask what the best Cowon player is?
Or maybe you guys have a player in mind that tops the z2 and is also cheaper in price? That would be good to know and consider buying!

ALSO, my phone contract will end in February (HTC Desire HD), so I'm thinking of upgrading that to a Samsung Galaxy S3 or maybe something else?
But I don't know how well the latest phones compare to DAP's such as the z2, seems as you can tweak about with phones so much and put on a tonne of custom firmware.

Recently I ended up with a Sansa Clip+ which I've not regretted one bit thanks to the great advice given here.
The Clip+ I have decided to use all the time when I'm at the gym, so this will be of great use there.
But this won't be my primary DAP, so I'm still after another for use OUT of the gym. An eye candy DAP with a decent screen and GUI for audio and video playback is necessary

Even after all I've said I might end up keeping the z2, but I like to keep my options open (while I've not opened the replacement z2), and as always consider your advice as usual.
Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 AM

Ok I've had a good look what's out there reading up on all sorts of DAP's. I don't think I'm going to really get much better for what I want and already have (z2 & clip+).
Cowon hasn't announced anything coming out this year so far, but I don't think I could wait anyways.

If anything I would be bitchy about is to have a slightly larger and nicer screen for video playback. But I'll be getting a new phone which will solve that problem anyway; Samsung Galaxy S3, Google Nexus 4 or Nokia Lumia 920.
So I guess it's more of 'which phone to get' dilemma now, so I'll stop things here

Man all that above blabbering for nothing heh.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I was gonna suggest u flog the cowon and put that cash towards a decent smartphone, like the S3, Note2, Nexus 4 etc. Pimp up yer phone with larger batteries so u can use it as a media player without so much fear of losing battery life.
Any modern smartphone with the right apps makes a killer PMP, you already have a nice DAP that suits a different purpose (running, exercising etc).
Get the right phone and you only need to leave house with one device (yer pimped up fone) and possibly sneak a clip+ with u if u think yer gonna exercise later on that day etc.
That's the route i'd go down. The only difference is I have a Cowon C2 instead of using a clip+, and I have a Galaxy S2.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 AM

You just made me envision carrying a Clip+, z2, AND a big ass smart phone at the same time.... not going to happen, something needs to go

Before (and if) I decide to give up the z2, I need to look at what music/media player is good for Android based devices.
For a start I've been really neglecting my rooted HTC Desire HD; it's still on Android 2.3.5 :s
I'm looking into modding it with JellyBean-JELLYTIME 4.2. Then I'll find out what good media/music player is available and give it a blast.
Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a SG s3 to test on, but my current phone should be a good enough to experiment with for now I think.

Makes me think how far smart phones have come to compete with or perhaps even overtake the best DAP's

Still using the Clip+ with the z2 still unopened. Fun little device that packs a good punch

Old 01-27-2013, 05:58 AM

yeah i have an inspire 4g same thing as the desire hd and it's kinda lame for music. but check out poweramp for music i love it. check out xda developers forums for list of roms you can install. i'm running an unofficial cm 10.1 on mine right now and it works pretty well

Old 01-27-2013, 07:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

PowerAmp!!!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
PowerAmp!!!
+1

Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyt View Post
You just made me envision carrying a Clip+, z2, AND a big ass smart phone at the same time.... not going to happen, something needs to go
Just to be clear, i was saying to SELL the z2, carry just one device (a good smartphone) with the occasional carrying of the clip if yer going to the gym etc. SELL the Z2! that's my advice, yer going to be pleasantly surprised by the latest/newish smartphones on the market from a PMP point of view.

I have the S2 running Ice Cream Sandwich, using Poweramp I get a sound signature equal to a rockboxed clip (imo). so +1 for Poweramp
Using MX Player as video player seems to provide the best codec support for HD files, and indeed watching them is a pleasure on that screen. The S2 has beaten ANY dedicated PMP I have ever owned, and by all accounts the S2 is old now, a newer version is only gonna perform better.

Yer main issue (with any phone you go for) is gonna be battery life. My advice, research which phones have removable batteries, decide if u want to take more batteries with you, or that you can buy bigger batteries (albeit making the device chunkier and heavier). It's not daft to make yer choice based on weight of the phone, lighter the better, because in all likely hood yer going to increase that weight when you buy an extended/bigger battery. Factor that in, because once u start using yer phone as a media player... bye bye battery life.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
yeah i have an inspire 4g same thing as the desire hd and it's kinda lame for music. but check out poweramp for music i love it. check out xda developers forums for list of roms you can install. i'm running an unofficial cm 10.1 on mine right now and it works pretty well
I've been playing about with the oldish HTC Desire HD phone since I updated it from a cruddy 2.3. something firmware to 4.2 Jellybean 'JELLYTIME' rom. Wow That alone has had me hooked! What the hell have I been doing with my phone all this time?? Well behind the times heh. It's less 'lame' now after that huge update, but I'm still going to get rid of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
PowerAmp!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
+1
Indeed, indeed!
Today I finally decided to stick on the full version of Poweramp as all you guys here rate it. I have to say after some tweaking about with the settings and EQ I have a big smile on my face
There's certainly no need to amp my HTC either.

I put JetAudio Plus on as well. That's not too shabby either you know
Though I'm trying to figure out how to automatically play from one folder to another, as it only seems to play music from one folder at a time, rather than continuous play from one folder to another :s
I'll have another mess about with it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
SELL the Z2!
Thought I'd never come to this when I made this thread but it's going to happen soon. Anyone wanting a brand new 32gb z2 better keep their eyes on eBay

Quote:
I get a sound signature equal to a rockboxed clip (imo). so +1 for Poweramp
Personally I'm enjoying the sound quality on my HTC right now a lot more than I am on the clip+
Bearing in mind I've not really tweaked about with Rockbox, other than using the default EQ.

Quote:
Using MX Player as video player seems to provide the best codec support for HD files
MX Player is awesome! That player chews up just about any high res video I chuck at it. Just installed the latest pro version today

Quote:
Yer main issue (with any phone you go for) is gonna be battery life.
The latest Android firmware with Jellybean is a battery killer for my HTC. Luckily the thing I like about this phone is you can carry spare batterries and change them on the go. Changing batteries can be annoying, but nothing worse than a dead phone.
For this reason alone I think I'm going to give the Nexus 4 and Nokia Lumia 920 a miss and just go ahead with the Galaxy S3 with a handful of spare batteries

Well it will be interesting to see how the sound will differ on a newer phone, that's if there's going to be even much of a difference in sound quality. I will certainly be guaranteed a bigger screen with more vibrant colors and higher resolution for video playback to say the least.
There is one other MAJOR flaw for me (besides battery life) using a phone over a DAP like z2. Which is the lack of physical buttons for music

Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Look for an app called 'JAYS Headset Control' in the Play Store. It's an app that will allow for configuration for any line in control on IEMs etc.
Single click=play/pause, dbl click=next track, triple click=previous track, click and hold=volume up etc etc. If u don't have a pair of IEMs with a line in button then u might want to factor that in for your next IEM of choice.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Look for an app called 'JAYS Headset Control' in the Play Store. It's an app that will allow for configuration for any line in control on IEMs etc.
Single click=play/pause, dbl click=next track, triple click=previous track, click and hold=volume up etc etc. If u don't have a pair of IEMs with a line in button then u might want to factor that in for your next IEM of choice.
There's settings for that in PowerAmp, and most Android phones work with the single-click controller. It's the ones with the volume +/- that don't work.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:14 PM

Interesting, but a no go for the HTC Desire HD.
Also there's no way I will compromise using SM3 or IE8 IEM's for something else with a controller.
So I had a quick look around to see if I can make things work in my favor. What do you guys reckon to THIS remote control? Think it will work, or is it not as simple as that?

Last edited by Moyt; 01-28-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

AT that price it's worth a go. Or even find one with a single button.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM

Cool. Actually I'm kinda stuck for choice now. HERE
I'll pick one tomorrow, unless you think there's a particular one I should definitely go for.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The controller with the single button should work,...but the one with the volume control will NOT. I stated that above, and I've owned many an Android device. Android does not work with an APPLE SPECIFIC control.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM

Ahh crap just about all of them are for ipod then. There is also THIS one. Not single button but HTC specific.
But this will eventually be useless when I get the Galaxy s3. Unless the s3 also has an 11-pin usb connector. Even so I'm not sure if this will work well with Poweramp either way.
Ever tried an 11-pin usb headphone connector?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Can't say that I have.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 PM

Damn maybe I should kindly offer some dollars to this dude to make me one of THESE!
Though I know a few people who are ok at these things, I'll see if they can mod one for me.

Really I'm surprised though. With the amount of crappy hardware and peripherals out there, there's hardly anyone who has taken it up to make 3.5mm headphone remotes for HTC or Samsung phones.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Apple owns the copyright on the controller with the volume +/-,...it's just how it is.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 AM

Arggh damn you Apple!!