android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Old 01-22-2013, 03:45 PM

Default Looking for a Windows 8 compatable mp3 player.

Hi everyone, I have been lurking for a few days and have now joined up

looking for some refined suggestions.
Quick background here... I am a total n00b. I have a Sansa Fuze+ and it is ok
other than the stupid touch interface. I am not an audiophile by any means. I mostly listen audiobooks as well as intense electronic music through helmet speakers while snowboarding. Also I must be able to drag and drop music from my Windows 8 pc to the device. Folder style is how I like to roll haha.

Capacity: 8gb should be good.
Budget: $100-$150
Use: Audiobooks mostly as well as Elecronic music in my snowboard helmet speakers while snowboarding.
Type/Design: DAP (digital audio player, more focused on music or no video at all)
Features: I'm a n00b. Um...I don't need much for features. I want it to go to my last audiobook spot when I turn it on.
Display: Display size not too important.
UI/Controls: User interface with tactical buttons. No stupid touch please.
Battery life: I would like to be able to do a full day snowboarding or bussing to mountains so like 12-16hrs?

So from the research I've done here it looks like its the Sony E-Series.
Is this correct? And what is the best way to get one? Should I just order
it here and is it the correct one?....

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...specifications

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sony is good from everything I have heard. Havent had one personally yet but some trusted members here have and they recommend them. from your description I would personally get a clip+ though. I think the battery life might limit you though.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have Windows 8, and ANY player will work with it. Apple, Samsung, Sony, SanDisk, Cowon, iriver,...

BTW, any Sony you get will have killer sound quality. Just get some decent headphones/iem's. And all the brands I listed above sound excellent as well.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:33 PM

Whoa I was just reading that the E series is not Audible comparable!?! Could I still listen to my audio books on it? If not, that is a deal breaker :/

Edit: On second thought, I can listen to audiobooks on my GNote2 I guess. Being able to resume audiobook play where I left off is a must. Could that RockBox firmware you guys keep talking about do that?

Last edited by GarTheConquer; 01-22-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I have Windows 8, and ANY player will work with it. Apple, Samsung, Sony, SanDisk, Cowon, iriver,...

BTW, any Sony you get will have killer sound quality. Just get some decent headphones/iem's. And all the brands I listed above sound excellent as well.
+1. I've got Windows 8 Pro and I don't see a reason why something wouldn't work with it.....

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Administrator

There's audiobooks, then there's copyright protected Audible books. Which one is it you mean?

If it's Audible you'll need to make sure the Sony model you're looking at works with copy protected files. Looking at the Audible Device Center page I don't see any Sonys listed. I didn't do a thorough search so there's a chance they're listed and I missed them.

The E474 you link to won't deal with copyrighted files from what I found when checking it for another member recently. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=71564

Sony isn't making it easy to find that info. I didn't see it anywhere on the site. I had to download the manual and dig it out of there.

The lack of DRM support seems to be something that started with the NWZ E47x series. The last gen, the NWZ E46x series, should still handle copyrighted WMA files according to this page. http://esupport.sony.com/docs/portab.../01/01/01.html

Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 PM

There is no audiobook section on my e475. Maybe an older fuze? I know it works with the audible software for audibooks in the OF. Listened to all the ricky gervais podcasts from audible on it. Of course you could remove the drm from audible and put it under the podcast section on the sony if you wish. But, that is an annoyance.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I know the Android Sony Walkman devices can download the Audible app from the Google Play marketplace: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Audible

That really won't help with the less expensive E Series your looking purchase,...just saying is all.

Have you considered a Cowon player instead? They work with the Audible Manager.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
There's audiobooks, then there's copyright protected Audible books. Which one is it you mean?

If it's Audible you'll need to make sure the Sony model you're looking at works with copy protected files. Looking at the Audible Device Center page I don't see any Sonys listed. I didn't do a thorough search so there's a chance they're listed and I missed them.

The E474 you link to won't deal with copyrighted files from what I found when checking it for another member recently. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=71564

Sony isn't making it easy to find that info. I didn't see it anywhere on the site. I had to download the manual and dig it out of there.

The lack of DRM support seems to be something that started with the NWZ E47x series. The last gen, the NWZ E46x series, should still handle copyrighted WMA files according to this page. http://esupport.sony.com/docs/portab.../01/01/01.html
Wow thanks Skip!
Yeah I apologize for not being clearer, I was talking about Audible books specifically I don't see any Sony devices on the "AudibleManager/Add New Device" dialog box. I guess I can use my GNote2 but that's kind of a hassle.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I know the Android Sony Walkman devices can download the Audible app from the Google Play marketplace: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Audible

That really won't help with the less expensive E Series your looking purchase,...just saying is all.

Have you considered a Cowon player instead? They work with the Audible Manager.
Which Cowon would you suggest Darkside? I think that ones that I saw looked awesome but I'm not sure if I should spend more than $150 on a media player since I'm such a n00b...

I was just reading about volume issues with the new model of Sony's I like to have it loud while I ride... So I think I'll scrap the Sony E Series idea.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm not too sure,...wait for a few more suggestions before pulling the plug on anything yet. There might be something that pops up that we may have missed. After all, there ARE other Audible-compatible devices out there.

I just scored a refurb iPod touch 4G 64GB for $229 from Apple (it's actually new, but it's clearance because it's the last generation - they SAY it's a refurb). A refurb 32GB is $179: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC...uch-32gb-black

An iPod touch may not be your cup-o-tea, but it's fine if it's what fits the required job.

Me, I go through different players like sox,...

Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How about the Sansa Clip+ or Zip?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 AM

I think the Clip+ and Zip's battery lives would be a bit restrictive for the OP.

I never use Audible, so I can't tell you for sure about any specific players' compatibility, but the original Fuze is a great little player and Audible says it's compatible. I would stay away from Cowon if I were you (even though I absolutely adore my S9 and J3), because they don't like tactile controls all too much.

Here's the Audible site that lists all currently compatible players, if you come across one and you're wondering: http://www.audible.com/dc?mt=MP3

Old 01-23-2013, 02:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

i would check ebay for the original fuze. You can get refurbs. you just have find a seller that will ship to your country. http://www.ebay.com/sch/iPods-MP3-Pl..._Players&_sc=1

Old 01-23-2013, 12:32 PM

Thanks everyone!

I think I will look around for an original Fuze, the only problem is finding one that ships to Canada...

Edit: I don't see much as far as old school Fuzes that ship to Canada... http://www.ebay.ca/sch/iPods-MP3-Pla...&_sc=1&_sop=15

This one isn't available for 6 days but do you think it is sketchy because the FM tuner doesn't work?... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sandisk-Sansa...#ht_867wt_1209

Last edited by GarTheConquer; 01-23-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarTheConquer View Post
This one isn't available for 6 days but do you think it is sketchy because the FM tuner doesn't work?... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sandisk-Sansa...#ht_867wt_1209
As you said, that auction goes on for 6 days yet, so it depends on how many others may bid on it, and how much. But if you can get it for that price, or close to it I'd say that's a good deal. As far as the FM not working . . . would this be something you would use? Would it really bother you if the FM radio did not work? Personally, I rarely use the FM radio on any of my players, so if it didn't work it wouldn't bother me in the least. But others see this as critical to their enjoyment of the unit.

It might be as simple as the PAUSE being on; a lot of people get confused by this, or don't know about it and from personal experience I've found that many times sellers on eBay really don't know very much about what products they are selling, so it may in fact work. You won't know until such time as you win the auction and receive the player.

Another aspect to consider though, is the battery condition. The description says it charges, but how long of a playing time are you going to get? 5 hours, 10 hours, or maybe only 1 or 2 hours? Still as I said, you can't go too far wrong if you can get it at a low price.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You may want to Buy It Now http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-NEW-SanD...item27cf270f89

Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 AM

Thumbs up Thanks again everyone!

You guys really helped me narrow down which player would be best for me! Coachop94 I followed the link you posted and ordered that Fuze with 2-Year SquareTrade Warranty + Accidents ($14) and express shipping (extra $9) totaling $138. I wish I could have found one that is not that hideous colour but whatever, I'm not that picky.

It says it will show up Feb 1 at the latest and I'm leaving for Fernie on the 1st so I'm crossing my fingers that it comes before then

Thank you so much for all the help everyone!

Could anyone link me to a RockBox tutorial? I am a n00b but I would sure like to have the interface that RockBox provides

Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Could anyone link me to a RockBox tutorial?
http://www.rockbox.org

Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Smile Your Welcome

Quote:
You guys really helped me narrow down which player would be best for me! Coachop94 I followed the link you posted and ordered that Fuze with 2-Year SquareTrade Warranty + Accidents ($14) and express shipping (extra $9) totaling $138. I wish I could have found one that is not that hideous colour but whatever, I'm not that picky.

It says it will show up Feb 1 at the latest and I'm leaving for Fernie on the 1st so I'm crossing my fingers that it comes before then

Thank you so much for all the help everyone!

Could anyone link me to a RockBox tutorial? I am a n00b but I would sure like to have the interface that RockBox provides
Glad to be of help. The color will help you to locate it quickly in a pile of stuff. One of mine is red.