android
Old 01-20-2013, 01:31 PM

Default Cutting Cable on Sennheiser HD201

Long time reader, and little poster here

Basically, been using a pair of HD201 for music production for a few months, but the length of the cable is just annoying now. I don't need 3ft off cable lol.

Has anyone shorten the cable on their pair? I basically want to know if the cable is just pure cable, or if its twisted in with fibres etc.

Hopefully its easy just to cut, and then solder a new nicer jack on

Simon

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Redneck Moderator

Most headphone cables are multi-strand, and most sennheiser cables have enamel coated strands. Don't worry about the enamel on the wires, your soldering iron will melt it off. With any type of headphones its a pretty easy thing to do if your handy with a soldering iron.

If you check my signature then you will see I will do this for members on the forum. But I assume you are in the UK so shipping charges might not be worth it.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 PM

For what it's worth, I had to repair a set of Sennheiser IEMs which have very thin wires and a little kind of enamel like the user above mentioned. With literally no experience soldering and a random guide from the internet I repaired them pretty handily. Like the user above said, the iron will melt through whatever is protecting it.

I had used this guide http://www.tested.com/tech/accessori...e-a-jack-plug/
even though my cables looked different on the inside. Like some kind of candy cane of different materials on each of 4 cables...

Course there is always a risk of messing it up, but my decision was made easy when I knew they were garbage if I didn't fix them. If you can order a backup cable from Senn, maybe your decision can be easy too. Otherwise I would probably tie and elastic to neatly bunch up some excess cable before I reached for the electric tape. Sorry I can't speak for your specific cable, but I would think the only difference is maybe your wires won't be as delicately thin ;p