android
Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 PM

Default Bricked My Clip+ Help Please

Hi guys, I have a bit of a problem. I tried to install Rockbox the other night on my Clip+, but in my stupidity picked the wrong bin file when it was installed, and instead of the current version used an older bin. This caused there to be an error during the install, and everything after that went to heck.

Right now it shows no signs of life and the screen is completely black. When I plug it into my computer it either doesn't recognize it or says it needs to be reformatted. I looked up how to fix it, and found that you can format the drive with sdformatter 3.1 and fix it, but when I tried this it said the disk was write protected and failed. So I am stuck here with it being bricked. What should I do?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinx7 View Post
Hi guys, I have a bit of a problem. I tried to install Rockbox the other night on my Clip+, but in my stupidity picked the wrong bin file when it was installed, and instead of the current version used an older bin.
Putting anything but the correct bin file on the player won't do anything. The player ignores anything but firmware files.

Quote:
Right now it shows no signs of life and the screen is completely black. When I plug it into my computer it either doesn't recognize it or says it needs to be reformatted. I looked up how to fix it, and found that you can format the drive with sdformatter 3.1 and fix it, but when I tried this it said the disk was write protected and failed. So I am stuck here with it being bricked. What should I do?
Obvious thing: hold power and try to reboot it.

If that doesn't work, you should explain what you actually did in extreme detail. Without knowing that, no one will be able to help you.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:23 PM

Okay, what I did was try to install Rockbox using the Rockbox utility, but while doing this I unintentionally installed it using an outdated bin file. I waited for it to turn off on its own and then when I booted it up it gave me a "Not enough space for MusicDB, Please free 20MB." After this error the player turned itself off and then stopped responding to anything. It won't even turn on now, and isn't recognized by the computer. I tried formatting it with various tools and none of them did anything since they all said it was in a write protected mode.

I am starting to think that the two issues might not even be connected though the longer I mess around with it and the memory error has nothing to do with rockbox.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Okay, what I did was try to install Rockbox using the Rockbox utility, but while doing this I unintentionally installed it using an outdated bin file.
The bin file doesn't matter. The installer will only patch bin files that are known to work. If you give it one that hasn't been tested to work, it'll reject it.

Quote:
I waited for it to turn off on its own and then when I booted it up it gave me a "Not enough space for MusicDB, Please free 20MB."
Usually this means the file system on the storage is badly corrupted or similar. Did the firmware actually update? What should of happened is that as soon as you unplugged the player you're get a message on the screen saying that the firmware was updating, and then the player would reboot. Did that happen before you got the lack of space error?

Quote:
After this error the player turned itself off and then stopped responding to anything. It won't even turn on now, and isn't recognized by the computer. I tried formatting it with various tools and none of them did anything since they all said it was in a write protected mode.
If it won't turn on, then how are you getting a USB disk to try and format?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:14 PM

I am just getting more confused now, but it is recognizing it as an unidentified usb storage device when I plug it in, and the Rockbox software is recognizing it also.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:51 AM

Try various key combos

Try booting to OF, when turning it on. Left click while powering on should return you to the original firmware (OF).

Make sure it's turned off by holding the power button for 20 secs, then left-on combo.

Power on, then wait a few days for the battery to die.

I had a bricked clip+. Windows would only see it as a 4mb raw partition but you couldn't format it. This was after it sustained water damage and was only brain-dead.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/510510/clip...-after-rockbox
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54634
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=66248
http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-C...er/td-p/270069

Last edited by zP0kE; 01-21-2013 at 06:04 AM.