android
Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 PM

Default NWZ-E474 or NWZ-A844?

Hello, I'm a new member here but I have been searching the forum since early November to check out what from the Audio world I have been missing. Now, I'm ready to get back to business. As the title suggests, I'm in a fix with two Sony Walkmans and I can't decide which one to get.

My love with walkmans developed when I first got my DAP, a proper NW-A805 2GB in 2007. I loved it, and used it till 2010 till it died. I felt bad, and I have not been able to experience the sheer awesomeness of Walkman SQ along with clear bass since then. My country doesn't have walkmans, we only have overpriced iPods, and i do not want those. I have an opportunity to bring a Walkman from India now, and I wanna get one by March.

Sony India has these models - http://www.sony.co.in/productcategor...man-mp3-player

I can spend 6,990 INR which is the price of E474 or A844. Both are 8GBs which is enough for me.

However, what I'm afraid of is that as far as I know the A844 is a discontinued model. The E474 on the other hand, is the latest E-series. If I have to get a walkman, I must use it for atleast 3-4 years (like i did with the A805) as I don't have a choice to buy from my country (Bangladesh). So in that sense the E474 seems a better option. However, the A844 has much more Audio enhancing stuff. I dunno what to do.

My preferences
1) Durability
2) Battery Life
3) Clearbass
4) Mostly Rock music, do enjoy a bit of Hard rock and Pop.
5) I haven't experienced Noise Cancelling and S-Master Amplifier yet, I don't really care about those much (As I used to own the A805 which had neither, which means the E474 will be familiar to me)
6) I don't watch pictures/videos on PMPs.

I should point out I plan to use Shure SRH-440s and a FiiO E6 with it. I love the bundled EX headphones that come with walkmans, and I still listen with my 5 year old MDR-EX082s. What should I do?

Last edited by XTR95; 01-16-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 PM

As a fairly happy owner of a A847 (the 64 GB model of the A844), I would recommend the E474. The specs for each one show they have almost the exact same features (and the ones that the A844 has aren't actually that special or add anything to the deal), but the E474 has the advantage of on-the-go playlists, which the A844 is sadly missing. The battery life on the A840 series is also quite a bit less than rated, maybe about 24 hours, not 30.

Factor in that you can get an E474 for cheaper, newer and under warranty, and it's an obvious choice.

That obvious choice, in case it was not actually that obvious, is the E474.
movies, Netflix and internet, oh my!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:46 PM

Thank you for clearing that up. I'll go for the E474 then.

And no, both models I mentioned are the same price, and under warranty. Still, I wouldn't want to buy something that's been discontinued 2 years ago, it will not last the 4 year life I want it to last.

Thank you again, I was a bit concerned about the A844's extra features and now the E474 shines through