android
Old 01-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Family Heirloom?

Long post and I am going to preface it with saying that I am admittedly a bit fascinated with "things gone by". I think progress is awesome, I do work in IT, but sometimes there is a fine line between progress and regress that we often don't see for years after we have crossed it.

Does your family have an heirloom of any kind? Like a watch that your dad gave you or a set of tools, china, wine glasses, whatever. This seems to be a thing that is going away and I wish it wouldn't. Something symbolic about a dad giving his son something of his. Like a passage to adulthood, etc. I have all girls so its harder but I am actually trying to go through my stuff and identify something as well as keeping it in mind for future purchases.

I hear of other guys getting that adult watch or suit when they get their first "real" job. or an overcoat or set of tools. For some of you a gun would work too. anything really. Doesnt even have to be expensive at all.

**fight club moment**
I think the fact that this isnt happening as much kind of illustrates how disposable we have become. We buy and we consume our goods now. Also the family unit isnt how it was IMO.
**end fight club moment**

So how about you guys? anything? even if you havent gotten it yet. Did your grandparents give your parents something? I mean actually give it to them. Getting things after they pass is nice for us as a nostalgic item but that's not what I am talking about. If not I would actually challenge you to start it. think of something that could be frequently used that you own or could buy now and make a solid investment in it. keep it in good shape. repair it, don't replace it. hang on to it. make it important to your kids and give it to them in 20 years. What would it be for you?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Redneck Moderator

This hasn't been handed down, but its still in the family and I would love to get my hands on it. My Grandpa's old truck. He bought it brand new just months before he passed. My uncle has it in his backyard and I'm thinking about trying to get it off of him soon. It needs fixed up but I have the knowledge to do it all myself.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
This hasn't been handed down, but its still in the family and I would love to get my hands on it. My Grandpa's old truck. He bought it brand new just months before he passed. My uncle has it in his backyard and I'm thinking about trying to get it off of him soon. It needs fixed up but I have the knowledge to do it all myself.
Vehicles are great heirlooms. Unfortunately most of my family is from the rust belt, so they're all gone.

I've got my Grandfather's ring, and a coin my dad used to carry for 40+ years in his wallet that he got at his first duty station out of the country.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 PM

I "inherited" a couple of guns from my dad when he died that actually were handed down to him from his father. An old single-shot .22 Stevens lever action and a side-by-side double-barrel shotgun with dual hammers and triggers.

Until just recently, I would still take that 'ol double-barrel out pheasant hunting as it would bring back fond memories of when I was a kid hunting with my dad, walking through the harvested corn fields with the snow crunching under my boots, all the while wondering how the hell those brightly colored ring-necks could hide in plain sight amongst nothing but dried-out beige corn stubble and white snow.

When my mother passed about 17 years ago, I gave her wedding ring set to my daughter, who's now 30. Out of all her jewelry (and she has a LOT), she says this is her most treasured piece.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 PM

for me i am doing my best to leave a heirloom of family pictures and the history and stories that go along with it.My parents had a lot of old pics from the '40s that we have worked at labeling who is in the pic as well as the year it was taken, since only my pa is alive now it means even more to me to have this family history to pass on.I have 30years worth of tool and die tools that will prolly just be sold as i have two daughters that have careers, but thats fine as they really only ever meant anything to me anyway.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:06 PM

I don't know if you would call it heirloom but alot of the stuff I have and use daily is from earlier generations. The kind of durable goods that do not wear out easily. A table here, some plates and cutlery there, can openers, nail clippers, coasters, office supplies. Tools. There is even an old chest that has crossed the atlantic a few times that is honestly probably of more sentimental value than the junk filling it.

There are other heirloom items I am less keen on. The stuff that's only good for looking at. I've got heirloom china and silverware in a corner gathering dust, I have more coffee cups than I know what to do with and they are all decorated with vulgar flower patterns that no doubt were fashionable at the time. I have masses of pictures of people that I don't know that were not properly cataloged and labeled. The main problem with the photos is there are just so many of them.

In the end it's all stuff in my eyes. The people and our interaction with them is what mattered, not the stuff. When I pick up my grandfathers toolkit to fix something around the house it reminds me of him in a good way. When I am having to sort through grandma's collection of coffee cups when moving house I am less enthused shall we say.

On a different note places can also be a sort of heirloom. Many people I know have held on to old cottages and the like for recreational use. A cottage that becomes a hunting lodge or weekend retreat. This creates a kind of continuity you don't get much anymore. People are no longer anchored to a certain place.

Last edited by sideways; 01-16-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 PM

My HD 580's are really old maybe I'll leave those to someone.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm the heirloom in the house,...at least downstairs.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
I've got heirloom china and silverware in a corner gathering dust, I have more coffee cups than I know what to do with and they are all decorated with vulgar flower patterns that no doubt were fashionable at the time.
Sounds like it's time for a

Old 01-17-2013, 01:06 PM

Yup, the process of minimizing the clutter is ongoing.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yup, the process of minimizing the clutter is ongoing.
I'll send you my address,...

Old 01-18-2013, 05:58 AM

20 ft or 40 ft container?

Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The people and our interaction with them is what mattered, not the stuff. When I pick up my grandfathers toolkit to fix something around the house it reminds me of him in a good way.
This is exactly the sentiment that I wish I heard more of from people and was at the heart of what I was trying to express. Personally I am building my record collection and listening equipment with the express intent of handing it down to my oldest daughter. She is enthusiastic about music and has decent taste considering she is a 14 year old girl. I cant wait to give this to her in 15-20 years or so when she is settled in and has a home that she is going to stay in for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
there is a difference in heirloom and relic. just saying...

Old 01-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post

Old 01-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
This is exactly the sentiment that I wish I heard more of from people and was at the heart of what I was trying to express. Personally I am building my record collection and listening equipment with the express intent of handing it down to my oldest daughter. She is enthusiastic about music and has decent taste considering she is a 14 year old girl. I cant wait to give this to her in 15-20 years or so when she is settled in and has a home that she is going to stay in for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
The difference is I'm wanted around the household like that record collection,...some of you not so much, eh!?