android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Off Topic > Random Chat

Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 AM

Unhappy [Member Opinion]:Its Official The Walkman Line is Dead

Sony only revealed a new sony walkman w series (NWZ-W270) today at CES 2013. It doesn't look like they plan on creating anymore android walkmans. Which is really unfortunate because I was looking forward to a refresh. They spent most of their press conference talking about 4k technology and television sets. They revealed the Sony Walkman Z series at CES 2012
So now its official the walkman line is dead in the US. Hopefully I'm wrong and they will reveal new products at MWC. The walkman will probably live on overseas

https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-int...n-at-2013-ces/

Last edited by lollicup04; 01-08-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Considering the OFFICIAL announcements at CES included the release of a new waterproof DAP https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-int...n-at-2013-ces/ I've added [Member Opinion] to this thread's title to reflect that it's your opinion the Walkman line is dead.

When you become a official at Sony then it will appropriate to make announcements as if you know something more than just what you believe based on incomplete observations. Until then it's just rumor mongering.

Last edited by skip252; 01-08-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Samsung Moderator

The F800 is still relatively new (exposed for the first time at the IFA I guess). So I think it's normal they don't announce a new Android player at the CES.

That doesn't mean the Walkman Line is dead yet, seriously dude....

Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sony hasn't killed the Walkman lineup,...sheesh,...

Old 01-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

IMO this thread needs to get deleted, or moved to random chat. Leaving these type of threads open can lead to misinformation, which is not what ABI is all about.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
IMO this thread needs to get deleted, or moved to random chat. Leaving these type of threads open can lead to misinformation, which is not what ABI is all about.
Done.

I've moved it rather than deleting it. I think a discussion of what Sony has in mind for the future is worth having. I just don't think it needs to be done under the title of some type of "official" announcement.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:32 AM

Watch the first video link that I posted and you can see and hear a "Sony Official" telling you that they are no longer focused on making walkmans unless it is a health oriented product like the Sony Walkman NWZ-W270.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd prefer a Sony phone that functions/sounds like a Walkman anyways. IMO the market has shifted drastically, and only small workout oriented players are wanted/needed.

I listen to larger players at home, but on the go I use my phone now. The sq is more than adequate for being out & about. And, from what I've seen, most feel the same.

I'd rather spend my $$$ on a multi function device I can use all the time, than spend it on a player I use sporadically throughout the week.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I'd rather spend my $$$ on a multi function device I can use all the time, than spend it on a player I use sporadically throughout the week.
That is fine but the point of having a separate music player is so that you can preserve the battery life on you smartphone. Until smartphones have a battery that is big enough to be a multi functioning device for more than 3 hrs I prefer a separate music player. Preferably a Android Sony Walkman

Old 01-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicup04 View Post
That is fine but the point of having a separate music player is so that you can preserve the battery life on you smartphone. Until smartphones have a battery that is big enough to be a multi functioning device for more than 3 hrs I prefer a separate music player. Preferably a Android Sony Walkman
Too bad were a dying breed. And btw, my phone can last all day w/me multitasking. And it ain't that crappy Android stuff.