android
Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default New Canon cameras-I don't get it

Why is it that they are focusing on gadgets like WIFI, and not delivering a pocket sized, affordable digital camera with an f1.8 lens(perhaps f1.8 at wide angle, and f3.5 or better at full telephoto?) and a larger sensor(at least 1")? I am tired of the compact digital cameras that are f5.6 or worse at full telephoto and that have a 1/1.7" or smaller sensor. I would also like to see more digital cameras that take AA nimh batteries, or perhaps ones that use a standard cheap Lion battery like the 18650.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

In optical design, volume directly trades off with sensor size and f/#. You can basically pick a small sensor with a thin camera and a low f/#, a large sensor with a big f/# and moderate thickness, or a relatively thick camera with a low f/# and a big sensor. Cost also rapidly increases with larger sensor sizes because much more expensive glass is needed to fill a larger sensor (particularly so if the f/# is low).

A 1" sensor is quite large, and so requires a quite a lot of glass to fill it. Its quite hard to come to a good focus over such a large sensor without a long focal length or very expensive glass. If you take a look at 1" point and shoot cameras like the Sony DSC RX100, you can see what I mean. They're quite bulky and not all that cheap because there are a lot of precision optics that go into them. For what most people use a point and shoot for, it doesn't make sense to try to pack so much precision optics into such a small package I think.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I'll tell you the main reason for this, IMO: User simplicity. I think most users prefer the convenience of printing pictures directly from their cameras instead of caring of the components that are built into them. As the saying goes, instant gratification.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Sony DSC RX100 is close to what I want, however imo it is priced too high. I am hoping some competing products will appear at lower prices.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The Sony DSC RX100 is close to what I want, however imo it is priced too high. I am hoping some competing products will appear at lower prices.
Glass price goes up exponentially with sensor size, so the obvious thing to do would be to look at a camera with a smaller sensor.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A larger sensor is needed though for low noise images in low light conditions.