android
Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 AM

Default Can I backup data and apps on my SGP5.0 without rooting?

Starting to think about backup now that I have a lot of data on my device.
Can I backup data and/or apps without rooting?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 PM

Without root, backing up your device is iffy. Obviously, Titanium is the best option, but it requires root. I can't personally attest to any of the options I'll list in a sec., but seem to have good reviews:

Gemini App Manager- I use this app to block autoroot, but it does have backup options. I'm not sure how well it works though.

App Backup and Reestore- doesn't mention a root req., which I assume means it doesn't req. root. It seems to backup apps, but not data.

My Backup Pro- Doesn't req. root and has good reviews

At a quick glance, other, better options available require either root or ICS (which, for our device, requires root)

Old 01-09-2013, 06:54 AM

Checkout the free app Sandisk Memory Zone .... that's what I use to backup my data.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d..._result#?t=W10.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 AM

Thanks folks. Will try these.
I don't understand why there seems to be this limitation on being able to backup data and apps. I mean, rooting, according to manufacturer, is unofficially supposed to be a no-no. so why is there not some easy method to backup the data and apps?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 PM

These devices are not intended for storing important data. They just supposed to play audio and video files. You can copy those files through USB. You can restore applications from the Google Play store.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
Thanks folks. Will try these.
I don't understand why there seems to be this limitation on being able to backup data and apps. I mean, rooting, according to manufacturer, is unofficially supposed to be a no-no. so why is there not some easy method to backup the data and apps?
Well, it's officially a no-no because, I'm guessing in part, they won't have to honor as many warranties, since rooting voids the warranty. You throw caution to the wind and attempt to root haphazardly, it mucks up; you root, but delete an important system file, etc. etc.- they probably don't want to have to deal with all of those issues via warranty.

Apps with root are the best at saving apps along with data because you have access to the root-level folders that stores that data (ie /data and /system). A Windows analogy would be being able to access the c:\Windows folder (ie getting out of c:\users\username folder.) If you, as the user, can't get out of your User folder (ie c:\users\username) down to that level (eg as administrator), then any app that you open, for the most part, via your user session wouldn't be able to either.

Saving data seems to be a bit simpler since a lot of the data seems to be stored under the "SD card" in either a special folder (eg ".../musicplayer" folder) or in the hidden ".../.Androidsecure" folder.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM

I understand why they don't want people rooting, but even if there was a locked-down moron's-backup...that would be a help. Like if your device hard-crashes or if you lose it and buy another. Grab all those Android settings and app parameters again and be a happy camper.

Yeah- obviously it's easier to backup documents, music and photos and stuff via USB, but having a weekly backup of the core stuff would make me feel more secure. It took a LOT of time to get my device set up over the past year.

that Sandisk Memory Zone is really a joke. Or I am seriously missing something.
I set backup parameters to NOT do photos, videos or music.
And to only get Apps and Documents and the small Contacts list I have.

About 450 megs or a half gig.
Even though I have snappy wifi (running off fiber to the house)...it was running the backup to Dropbox at somewhere between 11 and 15 kbps! and giving me completion times of 80 to over 400 hours depending...for a half gig? On wifi? And if you leave the wifi the backup fails. So you can't even let it"run in the background" (as it says) and resume when wifi is obtained again. Pretty useless. AND- it doens't backup apps even though there's a check box for that. I guess you get what you pay for.

Plus, the app tries to "sell" you upgraded microSD...of course. And tells me that I should get a 32 gB microSD Class 10. guess what's in the device already? Yup. A Sandick 32 gB Class 10. It can't even recognize it's own product before it "recommends" upgrading. Oh well. such is Sandisk.

update: I just saw my typo: Sandick...funny. Sansdick. sorry, bit of sophmoric humor.

Last edited by Blackdog; 01-14-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 PM

oh, one thing. the hidden files I was referring to- they're available without root, but are hidden. Linux, adding a . before the files renders it invisible for the most part. I think the free ES Explorer's able to see these files (I know Root Explorer does for sure) if you tweek the settings. That'll allow you to save some data that you wouldn't be able to w/o if you were to do the manual method.

If your warranty's already expired though, it's probably a good idea to root since it's relatively safe, easy, and gives you control over your own device. If you're paranoid about accidentally deleting something, you do always have the option to unroot afterwards. (But really, you'd only have to worry about this if you go poking around in the system folders, like poking around in c:\Windows, and messing/deleting stuff) Another good thing about rooting and flashing a new ROM (OS) is that you can make a backup which'll restore your device to how it was when you saved it, an exact copy really, so that you really don't have to worry about backups at all. Me personally, I have backups spanning since last June so I'd be able to restore my device to how it was at any given "restore point."

Also, from what I gathered, for Gemini, you do need root in order to back apps up. at least, I tried with my device and it asked for root permission. Sry.

Last edited by alljokingaside; 01-15-2013 at 08:43 PM.