android
Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I haven't had a wrist watch in almost 20 years....my cell phones always tell me the time.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I haven't had a wrist watch in almost 20 years....my cell phones always tell me the time.
Yep. And for most people now, their cell phones also play their music.

I wonder if this trend has much to do with the gradual decline of abi. Or maybe there are other reasons.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Yep. And for most people now, their cell phones also play their music.

I wonder if this trend has much to do with the gradual decline of abi. Or maybe there are other reasons.
Give me a smartphone with a few buttons so I can reach in my pocket to switch tracks and a battery that will last me as long as my walkman e series without any battery saving apps/turning functionality off and I'll gladly switch

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm guessing that there could be a SanDisk Android-like player this year--perhaps a way to increase profitability.

Of course, I may be 100% wrong . . . .

Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
I'm guessing that there could be a SanDisk Android-like player this year--perhaps a way to increase profitability.

Of course, I may be 100% wrong . . . .
i just hope they put a huge battery in it and put a few simple buttons on it for ff/rw. i'll buy one if they keep the price reasonable. my android phone battery sucks but i can't justify upgrading and signing a new contract when i'm on pay as you go now and it's so much cheaper and i have about 5 spare batteries just in case. i also listen to a crap load of podcasts so having a wifi android device is a really good idea. but then again gpodder takes me like 5 minutes to sync max and that's if there's like 6 podcasts to sync

Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sandisk is not know for long battery life, although they might decide to change this infuture models. The short battery life is the thing I dislike the most about the Clip+. If only it had 30 hours of battery life it would be so much more convenient.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Sandisk is not know for long battery life, although they might decide to change this infuture models. The short battery life is the thing I dislike the most about the Clip+. If only it had 30 hours of battery life it would be so much more convenient.
The Clip is the size of a matchbook, for crying out loud.

I dunno about you, but I happen to go to sleep _every_ day. It's beyond trivial for me to attach a player to a cable once a day to charge it during that time period. I do the same with my laptop and cell phone.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Some people only want to charge a player once or twice a week though, and feel that 30 hour battery life for a tiny player like the Clip+, and 50+ hours of battery life for a larger player is what is appropriate.

Last edited by JK98; 01-08-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Some people only want to charge a player only once or twice a week though, and feel that 30 hour battery life for a tiny player like the Clip+, and 50+ hours of battery life for a larger player is what is appropriate.

But how many people really only charge once a week

i try to charge my devices everynight

Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
But how many people really only charge once a week

i try to charge my devices everynight
There are probably many with a Sony or Cowon player that gets 40+ hours of battery life who charge their player 1 to 4 times a month.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 PM

I use my Sony e475 usually 3 hours a day minimum and yet only charge once maybe twice a week. Never once ran it completely dry. Am I weird for wanting mobile technology that is meant to be used away from home not to run out on me?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Some people only want to charge a player once or twice a week though, and feel that 30 hour battery life for a tiny player like the Clip+, and 50+ hours of battery life for a larger player is what is appropriate.
Some people are a step outside of reality then.
Think about it....your alternative to get out of having to charge your Clip every day (as trying as that is )
was to buy USB battery packs that....
wait for it...............
also need to be charged!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Some people are a step outside of reality then.
Think about it....your alternative to get out of having to charge your Clip every day (as trying as that is )
was to buy USB battery packs that....
wait for it...............
also need to be charged!

Not illogical at all, since the Tekkeon mp1580 for example with 4 Sanyo 2700 mah AA batteries in it holds around 12x as much power as the Clip+ battery holds. The small Veho Pebble XT battery pack holds 17X as much power as the Clip+ battery.

I have nothing against charging batteries. I hate the need to charge them frequently though, especially more than once a week.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
The Clip is the size of a matchbook, for crying out loud.

I dunno about you, but I happen to go to sleep _every_ day. It's beyond trivial for me to attach a player to a cable once a day to charge it during that time period. I do the same with my laptop and cell phone.
I'm also one who would like more battery life in the Clip. Yes, charging daily is not a major effort in itself, but these little routines add up, and sometimes I forget to charge a device.

Also, the batteries degrade, and a device that starts out with a battery life that is at best adequate may soon reach the point where it is bordering on useless. My first Clip now has a battery life of about 4 hours, which means I cannot really use it as my main daily DAP. Instead I only use it for running, where it is ensured to be back at the charger fairly quickly. A device with 30 or 40 hours on the other hand will have an adequate capacity for many years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
Give me a smartphone with a few buttons so I can reach in my pocket to switch tracks and a battery that will last me as long as my walkman e series without any battery saving apps/turning functionality off and I'll gladly switch
Yes, that would be great. For two years now I have tried adapting to smartphones as DAPs, but it just does not work for me. Touchscreens are fine for some applications, but physical buttons are superior in others, and a touch only device is a pain to use then.

Last edited by Zakalwe; 01-09-2013 at 05:06 AM.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM

A watch lasts a very long time on a single battery and it's small. A computer has a tiny little battery on the motherboard that uses a little bit of power to keep the time while the pc is powered down. If either one of those had the battery life of a clip you would be very annoyed. I don't think it's too much to ask for a better battery

Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
A watch lasts a very long time on a single battery and it's small. A computer has a tiny little battery on the motherboard that uses a little bit of power to keep the time while the pc is powered down. If either one of those had the battery life of a clip you would be very annoyed. I don't think it's too much to ask for a better battery
Both of the applications you mentioned don't use "better" batteries, though...They're just much less energy intensive than music playback is. I'm sure we'd all appreciate a breakthrough in (affordable, rechargeable) battery technology that lets a matchbox-sized PMP last for weeks...Until then, perhaps we can make do with reality?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
Can Rockbox fix the cheap-ass low-res screen SanDisk put in it?

. . . . . . . . .
Are you really that bothered about screen resolution if you're only using it for music? I know I'm not!

I do miss that it doesn't give you track time or playlist counts though! Both of these can be fixed with Rockbox (but both were there with the original Fuze too.)

Quote:
The things which I really did like, that came in with the Zip, were the alphabet browsing
Alphabetical browsing was there on the original Fuze too. Well ASCII order (all capitals before all lower case) but my Zip Clip was also ASCII rather than true alphabetical. Browse and play by folder structure is an absolute Must Have for me!

Oh, and Sansa originally came from the SSD market, well before they tried to get into DAPs and other consumer electronics, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise if this is still a (the) major focus of theirs.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazakore View Post
Are you really that bothered about screen resolution if you're only using it for music? I know I'm not!
It depends on the player. If it is not designed to show album art (like the Clip+) I'm fine with that. However, the only reason SanDisk would re-design a popular and sucessful product, yet go to the expense of adding a larger, color screen is to show album/cover art. So if the player is supposed to display album art, then it damn well better and do it well. The Zip does not.

Quote:
I do miss that it doesn't give you track time or playlist counts though! Both of these can be fixed with Rockbox (but both were there with the original Fuze too.)
Ah yes, thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten about this. 2 more points subtracted from the Zip for these deficiencies.

Quote:
Oh, and Sansa originally came from the SSD market, well before they tried to get into DAPs and other consumer electronics, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise if this is still a (the) major focus of theirs.
That's sad to know. Apparently, they didn't learn anything more about them during their hiatus then if the complaints about them currently are true. They obviously still aren't ready for prime time. And their memory card quality control is going down the tubes as well.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
And their memory card quality control is going down the tubes as well.
Quote:
"Down the tubes -- hear that one a lot. People say, "Ah, the country is going down the tubes." What tubes? Have you seen any tubes? Where are these tubes? And where do they go? And how come there's more than one tube? It would seem to me, one country, one tube. But is every state all of a sudden have to have its own tube now? One tube is all you need. But a tube that big? Somebody would have seen it by now. "Hey Joey! Get a load of these *****' tubes!"
-George Carlin

Old 01-10-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
"Down the tubes -- hear that one a lot. People say, "Ah, the country is going down the tubes." What tubes? Have you seen any tubes? Where are these tubes? And where do they go? And how come there's more than one tube? It would seem to me, one country, one tube. But is every state all of a sudden have to have its own tube now? One tube is all you need. But a tube that big? Somebody would have seen it by now. "Hey Joey! Get a load of these *****' tubes!"

-George Carlin
London has lots of Tubes! (It's what we call the underground train system here.)

Oh, and I clearly meant SandDisk when I said Sansa above. Sansa is just their name for the range of DAP/PMP devices they brought out. Didn't know their latest range of solid state storage was rated badly though but I do admit to being a little out of the loop.