android
Old 01-06-2013, 06:00 PM

Default New Sansa Anytime Soon?

I really like rockbox but i would kill for something like the fuze with the battery life of an e-series walkman. I love my walkman but it's only 16gb and i only have like 2gb left. Considering that amazon keeps having these deals 50 songs for $1 it would be nice to have more space.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

And you created this thread because,.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................................

Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 PM

cause i want one?

Old 01-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Then know that Sandisk has let us all down.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 PM

The DarkSide: But this is a digital audio player site, Guy...

Just Some Guy: When their competitors were at the gates, Sansa would suspend production and appoint one product to protect the profits. It wasn't considered an honor, it was considered a public service.

The Dark Side: Guy, the last DAP they appointed the iPod killer was named the Fuze+ and it never sold more than fifteen million units.

Just Some Guy: Okay, fine. You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

there was a poll on the Sansa Facebook page about what they should do next

http://www.facebook.com/SDSansa?fref=ts

Let's play product team. You get to choose one of our media players to update. Which one would you choose and what would you do?

I would bring back the Sansa Fuze with 64GB micro sd card capacity.

Real buttons not touchscreens or pads for any player

I think it should support 64 gb cards with a wide audio format support.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 PM

I for one, am not holding my breath. I may be wrong (and I hope I am), but I think we've seen the last dedicated mp3 player from SanDisk.

Of course, given their last 2 offerings were the Fuze+ and the Clip Zip that decision may be best for everyone.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
I for one, am not holding my breath. I may be wrong (and I hope I am), but I think we've seen the last dedicated mp3 player from SanDisk.

Of course, given their last 2 offerings were the Fuze+ and the Clip Zip that decision may be best for everyone.
Nothing wrong with the Clip Zip, as long as you like Rockbox.....
I will mount no such defense for the Fuze+ though.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Nothing wrong with the Clip Zip, as long as you like Rockbox.....
Can Rockbox fix the cheap-ass low-res screen SanDisk put in it?

. . . . . . . . .

I didn't think so.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

. . . . . . . . .

I didn't think so.
My approach... Use a clip+ type theme
It's not any worse than the clip+ screen....lol

Sent from my Atrix via Tapatalk 2

Old 01-07-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:

. . . . . . . . .

I didn't think so.
Quote:
My approach... Use a clip+ type theme
It's not any worse than the clip+ screen....lol
With all respect, that's a workaround, not a fix. You are merely compensating for inferior hardware. While it may work for you, that doesn't change the fact that the choice of this screen by SanDisk in development of the Zip was an utter FAIL and they were just trying to throw something together on the cheap for a "new" player, which it is not.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
With all respect, that's a workaround, not a fix. You are merely compensating for inferior hardware. While it may work for you, that doesn't change the fact that the choice of this screen by SanDisk in development of the Zip was an utter FAIL and they were just trying to throw something together on the cheap for a "new" player, which it is not.
I'll grant you, that is a fair point. I think you are just a bit more upset over it than I am.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I may be wrong (and I hope I am), but I think we've seen the last dedicated mp3 player from SanDisk.
Why do you think that?

Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Why do you think that?
After years of their releasing a model every summer, that pattern stopped....this past summer there was no new player. Instead, they seemingly resumed production of the Clip+ with some new colors....

Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

yeah, the screen was an near non factor but was technically an upgrade from the previous screen and the product stayed at the same price point. I don't see a reason to call that any kind of failure or to be irritated at. Basically it isnt anything that needs to be fixed by most peoples standards. its just an extended version of the previous modles display and it almost made me buy a new one. If I didnt have my puke+...I mean fuze+...I would have.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just to be a conspiracy theorist.....lol.

An image on the Sansa forum web page....

Now I see a "robot" like that, and I immediately think Android. Now I have a hard time imagining them trying to move upmarket into the price range of an Android powered device, but since they didn't release anything last summer, who the hell knows?

Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

i have seen rumors of an sansa android device in the past. I would be interested, possibly.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'll grant you, that is a fair point. I think you are just a bit more upset over it than I am.
I think you misunderstood. I'm not upset in the least, just disappointed in the direction Sandisk has taken with the Fuze+ and (and I think) the Zip. Personally, I don't consider the Zip to be an "upgrade" from the Clip+, and while Rockbox does compensate for many of its shortcomings, the player should operate and stand satisfactorily on its own. The low-res screen is an insult to consumers in this day and age, and the glitchy firmware and UI (based in part, I might add on the Fuze+) is yet another step backwards.

I still have my Zip, and at some point I might Rockbox it and simply use the larger screen for larger fonts and/or more track info, but it's worthless for album art, which was the need it was supposed to satisfy. Until I'm motivated to do that though, I have my Clip+ which is chugging along nicely.

Quote:
I think we've seen the last dedicated mp3 player from SanDisk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Why do you think that?
To expand on what Marvin has already said SanDisk, by their own admission has ramped up their SSD (Solid State Drive) business and seems to have re-focused their energy and business plan away from mp3 players to this market instead, obviously seeing greater potential for profit and realizing more and more people are using their smart phones and other devices for music and/or video playback rather than the small dedicated devices we've come to know and love. In other words, they have moved on. I doubt they will be back. The market has changed, and they have changed with it.

What are they featuring at CES this year? More SSD's. There were rumors of another device to be launched, but it was too buggy (sound familiar?) to be released at this time. It was not an mp3 player, but might indeed have something to do with the Android robot Marvin posted.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I think you misunderstood. I'm not upset in the least, just disappointed in the direction Sandisk has taken with the Fuze+ and (and I think) the Zip. Personally, I don't consider the Zip to be an "upgrade" from the Clip+
The things which I really did like, that came in with the Zip, were the alphabet browsing and customizable menus...but I was already so comfortable with Rockbox that it was inevitable that I would go that route once it was available.

I sold the 2 Clip+ that I had...the first one when the Zip hit the scene, and the second once the earliest RB port worked on the Zip. Then I knew I'd have all the same functionality, so it seemed prudent to replace both old players with new ones with fresh batteries.

Little did I know then that SanDisk keep building both of them.....or that at some point down the road I'd have a Fuze+ and an e280 to go with them!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
more and more people are using their smart phones and other devices for music and/or video playback rather than the small dedicated devices we've come to know and love. In other words, they have moved on. I doubt they will be back. The market has changed, and they have changed with it.
Yes, that does seem to be what I'm seeing when out and about. Mp3 players and wrist watches both becoming extinct.