android
Old 01-04-2013, 07:50 PM

Default Need help choosing an mp3 for shure 535

I just ordered a pair of shure 535s with the intent of hiking the CDT (very long harsh trail) and I want to maximize my purchase with the best mp3 I can match it up with. I hear Cowon has the best stuff but I'm having a hard time finding the right one.
One thing I absolutely need is internet capability. I was looking at the Cowon A5 but it is heavy and expensive. Of course I could solve all my problems by just getting an ipod touch but is the sound difference between an ipod and a cowon enough to justify the price and weight of the cowon? Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Get a Cowon C2. The SQ is excellent, the battery life is great as well, and it's solidly built.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 PM

C2 has no internet capability.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Welcome to ABI.
In this case I think an iPod Touch fits. You can install a third party app such as SoundMax's BBE and get about the same SQ as a Cowan player.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinmaster View Post
C2 has no internet capability.
Then, as mentioned, get an iPod touch. Or get a Samsung Galaxy Player,...

Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hopefully you are not counting on internet on the trail but just at the populated waypoints. And the galaxy would be my choice because of the lower cost (in case of damage) and higher capacity with SD card. Invest in a pelican case as well. Not too expensive and will keep moisture out and protect from drops. I personally would pick up a clip zip as well. Use it when I am just walking to conserve battery on the Samsung. Oh, don't forget to look into a USB power pack. If you listen to either all day and don't hit a power outlet over night you might need it to recharge on the trail.

Oh, and look into a pair of Philips she3590 or JVC riptidz as backup iems.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:44 AM

Haha I can't be carrying all that crap on the trail, weight is everything and ounces quickly feel like pounds. I have a means of recharging anytime I want but I just want to make sure that if I'm going to be stuck out there for 6+ months that I'm not gimping myself by getting an ipod touch.
Many people claim its inferiority and the fact that 535s are supposed to be at the top end I want to make sure I buy the right music player.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nothing inferior about a Touch unless you can't come to terms with the iTunes software.

Sent from my Atrix via Tapatalk 2

Old 01-07-2013, 12:10 PM

Well everywhere I go on the internet people have claims that cowon sounds "soo much better" than ipod and that the sound quality on ipod is basically trash. I need to sort out the truth.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinmaster View Post
Well everywhere I go on the internet people have claims that cowon sounds "soo much better" than ipod and that the sound quality on ipod is basically trash. I need to sort out the truth.
The difference between Cowon and Touch is minimal unless you use the sound effects that the Cowon players have built in. Those effects are a matter of debate though, because they can lead to a very artificial sound if not used carefully. A Touch, on the other hand, gives you the option of installing different apps that can also tweak the sound, if you so desire.

Also, your requirement of internet capability brings up the fact that the Cowon wifi players are buggy and the hardware isn't as capable.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Here is my response, sticking only to your original request. In response to the ipod being crap for sound quality....you have people on a message board called anythingbutipod.com telling you that it isnt. If the educated people here are recommending an ipod then you should feel pretty secure in your purchase. durability is an issue though. those things arent the most robust devices under normal circumstances. The galaxy player does have more capacity, size options, and price points though. not sure on battery life. These are the only two internet capable devices I would personally consider on the market right now. I have owned cowon, apple, samsung, sansa, and philips players in recent years.

In response to your situation in general...feel free to skip this part but I do day hikes and camping trips so any information sharing could be beneficial to one of us, if not both. I will take a second to go back to one of my original points about the internet access. To be clear, by internet access we are all assuming wifi so you would need hotspots. I do not know of any 3g/4g mp3 players. So I am making an assumption that you will be away from any connectivity for the majority of your trip. are you trying to take just one portable device? Do you have a smart phone that will be making the trip with you (for use in towns, etc.)? How are you charging your device anytime you want without a usb power source? I am just wanting to know because I could use some portable charging options. as for the pelican cases, you are taking quite an investment on the trail with you. I dont care how expensive headphones are, they are not built for outdoor use. I go through a set of IEMs a summer just going to the pool and riding my bike. Same with your player. You will need to protect them or they will not last your trip. Personally, I would carry a smartphone in pack safely sealed up in a case or at least ziplock bag for internet/phone usage (you wont have one without the other typically) and a clip zip or lesser cowon player (iaudio9) for music. Personally I went with a galaxy phone, pelican case and a usb battery pack but am always lookign to improve.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM

Yes I only need internet in towns I don't have the budget for phone/3g service I'm trying to keep the weight of what ever music/internet devices I bring as low as possible. As to how I recharge I use the new models of the Sherpa 50 power pack and the 13 watt solar panel from GoalZero which is about 2-3 pounds total and can keep anything I bring short of a laptop powered indefinitely.
According to people at head-fi.org My eims will hold up as long as I'm careful and keep them above 40 degrees.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

not having a phone totally negates some of the assumptions for sure. the sherpa is a usb battery pack like i was talking about, cool.

re the shures...keep them dry too.

The ipod touch is lighter than the galaxy. all models from varying amounts obviously. I still think its the best option as long as the capacity and purchase price is OK for you.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Get the iPod touch then,...a 64gb refurb from Apple is $229. It's like buying a brand new one from them,... http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD...uch-64gb-white