android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Old 12-29-2012, 03:40 AM

Default Please advise between Sansa CZ, Sansa Fuze, Sansa Fuze+ and Sony NWZE465BLK Walkman

I have a friend who'd be in the U.S. mid January and he also has a U.S. address where he can get the products I want, shipped to, right now.

I sold off my black 4GB clip zip as some of you know, due to the small size, even though I loved it. I waited for a new Fuze but it never came and no one knows how long it's gonna take or even if at all a new Fuze would ever come up.

So, I'm left with a few choces:

1. Sony NWZE465BLK Walkman MP3 player (I might get a used 4 GB one being very cheap one to try it out first, about 30 USD shipped). Wanted something with a built-in speaker but dunno which model has it. This model has bluetooth which seems good too. Please recomment or point me to the model with built-in speaker.

2. Sansa Fuze 8 GB - refurbished, costing about 55 USD shipped. (Of course I'd rockbox it as soon as I get it)

3. Sansa Fuze+ 8 GB ... new or refurb ... but I don't think you guys recommend this one. The only advantage I think here is the screen size and charging connector type, may be a little more battery life.

4. I may again get the Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB if nothing else is as good ... though I want a bigger player ... of the size of a usual sized Nokia button mobile phone.

I don't want any touch screen MP3 player but if I'm missing any new comers that are comparable with the above, do recommend me.

Also, which headphones would be better? Cortex CHP 2500 (about 50 USD) or Audio Technica ATH M20 (costs about 35 USD). I need bassy ones, tho can't afford the ATH M50.

Looking for your quick recommendations.

Kind Regards,
Casper

Last edited by casper^; 12-29-2012 at 03:48 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Since you've already had the Clip I'd say the Sony. The only thing is the E465 doesn't have either speakers or Bluetooth. AFAIK no "E" series Sony has either of those. Those features are part of the "S" series.

I don't think there's much of anything with decent quality being made now that has a built in speaker except some Cowon models. The last Sonys I think that had one in the price range you mention was the S 540 line.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:38 AM

Thanks, Skip, for you reply. This one here on Walmart says it has stereo speakers. But is out of stock. I think I saw it available on Amazon.

Would it be a good one? The only drawback being no microSD card support. But 16 GB is okay I guess, I can do with that.

I think I once heard one of the Sony S series at a retail outlet. I know the sound out of the speakers isn't anything decent, but then I need built-in speaker only for the times when I'm tired listening with the phones. A low volume would suffice.

The only thing I'd miss is rockbox and microSD card.

You, I guess, have the Cortex CHP 2500 phones, so can you also advise on them being better or not than the ATH M 20?

Kind Regards,
Casper

Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sony would be my recommendation too. As for the cortex, great set but they are a bit bulky for travel. Take a look at the JVC xplosives or the Sony xb500 (used or return). If you can find the xb get it. Fantastic bass set. Very comfortable too. There is a thread on here where a guy asks for $40 headphones. Check it for a handful of other recommendations as well.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:46 AM

fuze. definitely the fuze. Sony players sound great but no gapless, no lossless, no lockbox, no micro sd. I have a fuze+ and enjoy it but it is not for everybody. if you can get an original fuze fairly cheaply you should do it. if not point me in that direction because I' d love to have another one.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:51 PM

How much would be fairly cheaply for the original fuze? Is 61 USD shipped too much for 8 GB fuze?

What problems do you face with the fuze+? And why do you say it's not for everyone? Is it because it needs two hand operation due to sluggishness etc?

Please clarify.

Kind Regards,
Casper

Old 12-29-2012, 03:26 PM

I love Rockbox but the Sony OS is pretty good as well. If you don't need the sd card slot i'd say go for sony. I just think it will be more reliable in the long run

Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The UI is ugly on the fuze+ in my opinion. The touch panel controls are difficult and sometimes erratic. Rockbox makes it tolerable for me though. I don't think its as bad as its rep but I still wouldn't recommend it. And yes, I have one that I use at least 3 times a week, more in the summer.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper^ View Post
How much would be fairly cheaply for the original fuze? Is 61 USD shipped too much for 8 GB fuze?

What problems do you face with the fuze+? And why do you say it's not for everyone? Is it because it needs two hand operation due to sluggishness etc?

Please clarify.

Kind Regards,
Casper
60 seems reasonable for a fuze if it comes from a reputable place. I paid 80 for a new 8 gig about 2years ago. but you have to understand there's a decent level of demand and a very dwindling supply.

as fir the fuze+ the stock firmware is embarrassingly awful. if you use it for rockbox it is ok but the design and hardware makes it inherently difficult to use unless you have a lit of patience to figure out all its quirks.

speaking of lost patience I an typing this on my new kindle fire but the damn auto correct is really testing mine. apologies for spelling errors.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
The UI is ugly on the fuze+ in my opinion. The touch panel controls are difficult and sometimes erratic. Rockbox makes it tolerable for me though. I don't think its as bad as its rep but I still wouldn't recommend it. And yes, I have one that I use at least 3 times a week, more in the summer.
The Rockbox has made it somewhat more usable over time. Not enough for me to recommend it as a purchase, but at least it's better than the dreadful stock firmware....lol.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Thanks Marvin and everyone for your help.

I've asked my friend to get the used Sony NWZS545 16 GB for now, along with the JVC Ham5X Xtreme around the ear phones. Seem bulky but I would love the bass.

I saw all the recommendations by IDvsEGO in another thread to the guy who asked for a below 40 USD headphones. I was a little confused at first but then went with these ones since they cost just a bit over 30 bucks.

I did however wanted to buy the Premium DJ Headphones from monoprice.com because of their detachable cable. But anyway, I went with the JVC. These would be my first phones costing above 10 USD :-)

I wanted the Cortex CHP 2500 but they've become much overpriced since I saw them last at about 37 USD. Now they're 60 USD!

Was my choice good enough to go with the JVC Ham5X Xtreme? I hope so and also hope that later someday, I can use an amp with these cans, like the Fiio E6 or E11, can't I?

I'm also getting a portable speaker, the SimplyVibe SV-X7. Not very pricey and it's got folder browsing button, which is a plus.

As I said earlier, the only thing I'm gonna miss is a microSD card slot, but I can use the one in my Nokia 5130, for additional storage.

As for the Fuze, I'll have to pass it for now, tho I know it's a great player. Wish I had more money to get both the Sony and the Fuze.

In one thread, I saw JK98 recommending the Olympus WS-801 voice recorder. I also want such a voice recorder and saw that on Amazon, the sony digital flash recorder lcd px 312, was on top of the list. But what I want in the one I'm looking for, is, line-in recording jack option. I don't think such an option is available with the above two recorders. Any recommendations?

Lastly, what would be nice secondary/backup IEMs to buy ... cheap but good bassy ones? I have the JVC marshmallows but think I need some other ones. Which ones?

I saw the Creative EP-630 for about 9 bucks ...

Kind Regards,
Casper

Last edited by casper^; 12-30-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

JVC Riptidz: http://www.google.com/shopping/produ...ed=0CGYQ8wIwAA

Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 PM

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-...electronic+m21 worth every cent

Old 12-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I like the Philips she 3590 a little better than the riptidz. Both are fantastic for the price though.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
Ordering today? Go to meelec.com, and use the coupon codes AFTERXMAS (35% off), and SHIPPING_COUPON ($2.95 off shipping).
https://www.meelec.com/Articles.asp?ID=140

No M21s though. M16 (Enhanced Bass) would be $14 shipped in USA.

Coupons appear to expire today (Dec 31).

Steve

Old 12-31-2012, 09:27 AM

yeah got mine on a deal before for around $12. way better than the m6s i have also.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:48 AM

sennheiser cx150 have a bassy sound and are pretty durable. i also like auvio' s element earbuds. both around 25 bucks.

Tags
cortex chp 2500, sansa clipz, sansa fuze, sansa fuze+, sony walkman